United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-07-2019, 11:35 PM
dunk

Yeah, but he’d be a shit businessman if he asked the price and just paid it, wouldn’t he? Only the oil clubs and the behemoths that are Madrid do that. Even Barca pull shenanigans and they’re wedged. And Madrid are baulking at the fee for Pogba..

Unread 23-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yeah, but he’d be a shit businessman if he asked the price and just paid it, wouldn’t he? Only the oil clubs and the behemoths that are Madrid do that. Even Barca pull shenanigans and they’re wedged.
True enough. But there's negotiating and then there's what United seem to do. How long does it really take to get a deal done? There's also a whiff of deja vu coming out re some of the linked players. Rodgers saying one bid has come in at the start of July for Maguire then nothing (despite all the shite in the press Inter admitted only one very low bid was ever received from United for Perisic). Fernandes, linked all Summer. Lisbon's president admits player would like to move to PL but as it stands no bid. Now we've got Lille President saying Pepe deal nearly done, no mention of club, United bid (and rejected). Now if true did they think the deal was nearly done then they received the fax/offer?

It's not quite as bad as last Summer, but it's pretty close. At least the two signed look alright and as yet we've not signed a 35 year old GK.

I'm also £#%&!ing fed up of hearing 'big clubs' moan about fees when they're happy to trouser whatever they can get from sponsorship deals, TV deals and the rest. The landscape isn't what it was and selling clubs with good players that big clubs want can't be bullied anymore.

Unread 23-07-2019, 11:53 PM
dunk

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that tbf, there can’t have ever been a more difficult time to make moves in the market though... that’s not a defence of Woodward or the Glazers, it’s a bit £#%&!ing mad out there atm. Everybody, including us, is overvaluing their players making deals nigh on impossible.

Just think it might break and go the other way last fortnight.. lot of people set to blink.

Unread 24-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Whalefish

I also wonder if a takeover is in the offing but that could just be wishful thinking (although can't say I'm keen on those who were recently linked).

I still think we'll get 2 in fwiw, and whilst I'm loathe to defend United/Woody given the above post but market aside (and you're right, it's more difficult now than it's ever been) it can't have helped that two big players in Pogba and Lukaku both want out, and uncertainty around De Gea. Whilst not given away Lukaku should have been £#%&!ed off with Inter's first bid. His preseason has been a joke and I believe he'll be much worse to have around than Pogba for another 12 months.

And yes, over valuing players is nuts. Something needs to give. Shifting out the deadwood was just as important as incomings. Cannot £#%&!ing believe the likes of Rojo, Darmian et al are set to navigate another window and get paid very well for doing £#%&! all.

And don't get me started on Bailly and Jones.

Unread 24-07-2019, 12:08 AM
dunk

Takeover

Difficult to say, you’d like to think strengthening the playing staff would be a positive for any prospective new owners..

Reckon Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Lukaku and Sanchez are all at risk, at least.. Jones and Smalling too..

Unread 24-07-2019, 12:19 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Takeover

Difficult to say, you’d like to think strengthening the playing staff would be a positive for any prospective new owners..

Reckon Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Lukaku and Sanchez are all at risk, at least.. Jones and Smalling too..
At risk of what? Being shot? (Hopefully).

Unread 24-07-2019, 12:26 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
At risk of what? Being shot? (Hopefully).
Being sold. Can’t see them wanting to go into the season with 8 CB’s, or whatever it would be if we signed one..

Sanchez is just a pisstake and anyone prepared to pay the money can have Lukaku..

Unread 24-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Time For Heroes

If Ed is indeed here and 'working' on two deals then what does he do all day? Does he phone Leicester and offer them a derisory figure and when it's turned down then what? Does he get his secretary trying to put a call through from Fernandes' agent saying he's desperate to come only for Ed to say 'Not now Maureen, I'm waiting for Leicester to crack.....any day now'.

Unread 24-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
If Ed is indeed here and 'working' on two deals then what does he do all day? Does he phone Leicester and offer them a derisory figure and when it's turned down then what? Does he get his secretary trying to put a call through from Fernandes' agent saying he's desperate to come only for Ed to say 'Not now Maureen, I'm waiting for Leicester to crack.....any day now'.
Working multiple deals, each one leveraging the other. Think of it like a reverse bidding war.

'Not now Mo'; I'm on the horn to Lazio'
(candy crush).

Eventually he'll bundle his way into signing someone or other.

Unread 28-07-2019, 04:54 PM
dunk

Dembele has bagged a brace for Lyon at Arsenal.. wouldn’t be against us replacing Lukaku with him..

Unread 28-07-2019, 11:09 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Dembele has bagged a brace for Lyon at Arsenal.. wouldn’t be against us replacing Lukaku with him..
Nah. He played for Celtic so he's £#%&!ing £#%&!.

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:08 PM
AK14

Ole’s not a fan of the short transfer window...

Who can blame him with Woodward in charge of getting deals done.

(Click the tweet for the video)

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/st...803805701?s=21

Ole’s not a fan of the short transfer window...

Who can blame him with Woodward in charge of getting deals done.

(Click the tweet for the video)
How long have they known about the 'short window' for...

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Makes little difference if Woodward is incompetent.

(on second thoughts, scrub the "if")

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
If selling clubs don’t have the short window and are confident they will find buyers/players in the remaining month they’re under no pressure, while United are under intense pressure.

We should have a window that matches Europe, at least.

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Coracao

Quote:
If selling clubs don’t have the short window and are confident they will find buyers/players in the remaining month they’re under no pressure, while United are under intense pressure.

It is yet more excuses on United's part. They are incompetent.

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

The idea is that other European leagues will follow suit so that players aren't being transferred once the season starts.

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Patty_b

I'm just glad big Ed decided to come back early to get stuff sorted, where would we be without that chinless wonder? Hint: Champions League.

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
It is yet more excuses on United's part. They are incompetent.
I don’t doubt that. Still makes it even harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
The idea is that other European leagues will follow suit so that players aren't being transferred once the season starts.
I know. They aren’t. They know they’re now at a huge advantage.

Unread 01-08-2019, 06:35 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
I don’t doubt that. Still makes it even harder.

I know. They aren’t. They know they’re now at a huge advantage.
This is the first seasons it's happened iirc, English teams took the lead. If European clubs find that they can't sign UK based players after English window shuts and that their own plans are disrupted with players moving they will likely follow suit.
Closed Thread