United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 14-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker

Unread 14-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Maybe we’re so shit we just make them look good. It’s happening too often to just be about the oppo; West Ham are one of the worst away teams in the country. Didn’t they get done at Wimbledon?
Definitely.

There was a spell after both penalties when West ham were rocking. A good side would have killed that there and then, or at the very least controlled the match.

We just went right back to letting them run through us.

All the teams in this league can play a bit and gain some confidence in their play if you allow them to. And we allow them to.

Unread 14-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Definitely.

There was a spell after both penalties when West ham were rocking. A good side would have killed that there and then, or at the very least controlled the match.

We just went right back to letting them run through us.

All the teams in this league can play a bit and gain some confidence in their play if you allow them to. And we allow them to.
That’s absolutely spot on, pal

Unread 14-04-2019, 11:03 AM
MagnificentSeven

west ham are one of those annoying teams, like southampton, brighton and west brom, who spend most of their existence in the bottom half of the table but always raise their game for us.

Unread 14-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
west ham are one of those annoying teams, like southampton, brighton and west brom, who spend most of their existence in the bottom half of the table but always raise their game for us.
They played no better than they did at Chelsea a few days ago.

Blaming other teams for having the temerity to play well is pathetic.

We should go in to every game expecting the opposition to play well.

We struggled yesterday because we were shit. If we had played well, West Ham would be irrelevant.

Unread 14-04-2019, 11:09 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Where have I hammered him you absolute cretin?
Admit it you want him gone

Unread 14-04-2019, 07:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
And like some of those at least, their fans imagine they have some fervent and ongoing "rivalry" with us. Whilst we don't give a stuff.

Unread 15-04-2019, 09:11 AM
messhead

Quote:

We struggled yesterday because we were shit. If we had played well, West Ham would be irrelevant.
Agreed. Whenever I've caught West Ham this season they've played some decent football, I don't think they're nearly as shit as they were a few years ago. Reality is they have a structure and set up they're comfortable with, and so they had periods of play where they looked twice the team we are because they knew where each team mate was going to be and they didn't stop making runs in behind us (lanzini and Anderson were almost toying with some of our players at points). This is what baffles me with us; ok we don't have the same quality of player across the pitch as City and Liverpool might, but we still should be able to play some cohesive football. Everything is always so sluggish though, as if whoever is on the ball has to look around for a few seconds to make sure there's a team mate he can pass to. On the odd occasion our attacks have been quick with few touches on the ball and everyone working in tandem we tend to score, which makes it all the more infuriating that we can't do it regularly. Comes a point where you just start wondering if our players are all really thick.

Unread 15-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

In an ideal world or in a Fergie bubble, yes. This United are neither and most of these soft @#%&!s preserve their precious energy as Poggers was no doubt telling the lads in the huddle after the last goal, with Barca twinkling in his eye. If you don’t think the players have expectations of upcoming games and prepare themselves accordingly, mentally, as well as physically , I don’t think you’re paying attention. They’re not all Roy Keane, much as we’d like them to be.

Unread 15-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
In an ideal world or in a Fergie bubble, yes. This United are neither and most of these soft @#%&!s preserve their precious energy as Poggers was no doubt telling the lads in the huddle after the last goal, with Barca twinkling in his eye. If you don’t think the players have expectations of upcoming games and prepare themselves accordingly, mentally, as well as physically , I don’t think you’re paying attention. They’re not all Roy Keane, much as we’d like them to be.
Not sure how you've gone to there from what I've posted tbh.

I'm not talking about eyes on the next game. I'm saying simply that we make teams look better and give them the confidence to play. And then complain when they do.

The players getting up for certain games is a whole other issue.

Unread 15-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Not sure how you've gone to there from what I've posted tbh.

I'm not talking about eyes on the next game. I'm saying simply that we make teams look better and give them the confidence to play. And then complain when they do.

The players getting up for certain games is a whole other issue.
Sort of. The fact that we invite other teams into the game through our own lack of effort pretty much encourages crap teams to take it to us. Then it becomes the game of their season. Wolves, Brighton etc. Then these same teams get thrashed at home vs £#%&!ing Bournemouth. You’d be a bit pissed off if you were their manager. It’s alright saying it’s up to the manager to motivate but apart from the top two clubs, it appears players play when they feel like it. I’m sure we’ll see a bit of game raising from us tomorrow. Wouldn’t bank on it though.

Unread 15-04-2019, 10:04 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Sort of. The fact that we invite other teams into the game through our own lack of effort pretty much encourages crap teams to take it to us. Then it becomes the game of their season. Wolves, Brighton etc. Then these same teams get thrashed at home vs £#%&!ing Bournemouth. You’d be a bit pissed off if you were their manager. It’s alright saying it’s up to the manager to motivate but apart from the top two clubs, it appears players play when they feel like it. I’m sure we’ll see a bit of game raising from us tomorrow. Wouldn’t bank on it though.
I think that's just the dynamics of confidence .

They're not raising their game, as such, they're invited in to one, they get encouraged, confident and that takes their level up.

Simply, if we do our job, they are irrelevant. It's our fault, not their's.

Unread 15-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
I think that's just the dynamics of confidence .

They're not raising their game, as such, they're invited in to one, they get encouraged, confident and that takes their level up.

Simply, if we do our job, they are irrelevant. It's our fault, not their's.
Don’t think confidence has much to do with eg. Brighton playing out of their skins vs us and then not giving a shit vs Bournemouth. They raise their game. Of course it’s our fault if we don’t do enough to take care of them but that’s another issue.

Unread 15-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Don’t think confidence has much to do with eg. Brighton playing out of their skins vs us and then not giving a shit vs Bournemouth. They raise their game. Of course it’s our fault if we don’t do enough to take care of them but that’s another issue.
I'm not sure they do play out of their skins though. A lot of these teams don't start on fire against us. They grow into the game.

Ofcourse, we'll always be something of a glamour fixture for teams compared to Bournemouth, but it's much a result of us playing shit and it's not excuse.

Unread 15-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Sparky***

I don't think teams have to raise their game against us any more. That's the level we're currently at. Teams aren't thundering about the pitch, busting a gut. They're just playing their normal game and we allow them to grow into the game and build confidence.

Teams literally walk the ball up the pitch against us, totally unopposed. We defend the edge of our box and that's it. The other two thirds of the pitch, we allow teams to pretty much do whatever they want.

It's £#%&!ing tragic.

Unread 15-04-2019, 10:38 PM
Denis Irwell

Well, maybe 6 of 1 and half a dozen the other. I’ve seen enough teams, this season alone, play as though their lives depend on it. Sometime overwhelming us whether we like it or not but often whilst we’re strolling it. Then they do what Wolves and Brighton did the other day.

Either way, it’s £#%&!ing tragic alright.

Unread 15-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I don't think teams have to raise their game against us any more. That's the level we're currently at. Teams aren't thundering about the pitch, busting a gut. They're just playing their normal game and we allow them to grow into the game and build confidence.

Teams literally walk the ball up the pitch against us, totally unopposed. We defend the edge of our box and that's it. The other two thirds of the pitch, we allow teams to pretty much do whatever they want.

It's £#%&!ing tragic.
Yeah, pretty much.

West Ham didn't do anything remarkable on Saturday. They played like they do most times I've seen them this season. And they should have won.

Unread 16-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much.

West Ham didn't do anything remarkable on Saturday. They played like they do most times I've seen them this season. And they should have won.
They definitely played above their normal level, like they always do when they face us. Goes back a long way. As teams like Wba, Everton, Southampton etc do. I’m fully aware we are crap, but we can be crap as well as teams finding an extra gear or two. Even if our level is now 5th, it is still above their level as can be seen by their other results and position. Sparkles just finding reasons to be cheerful as usual. Hope we get thrashed tonight so he can tell us all we are crap. Again.

Unread 16-04-2019, 10:33 AM
messhead

Quote:
They definitely played above their normal level, like they always do when they face us. Goes back a long way. As teams like Wba, Everton, Southampton etc do. I’m fully aware we are crap, but we can be crap as well as teams finding an extra gear or two. Even if our level is now 5th, it is still above their level as can be seen by their other results and position. Sparkles just finding reasons to be cheerful as usual. Hope we get thrashed tonight so he can tell us all we are crap. Again.
So you don't think West Ham have improved under Pellegrini? They're playing attractive football, no one is saying they have a better squad than us, but they are currently playing better football than us. Partly because they've had time under their new manager to gel together. Unfortunately we are a stunted mess atm.

Unread 16-04-2019, 05:53 PM
red in cumbria

Lots of no-mark sides traditionally raise their game against us, and yes it is infuriating when it happens. But in recent weeks, they really haven't needed to
Closed Thread