United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

One of Fergie's flaws was not improving us after our European cup victories

After 99 he bought no one major, after 08 he bought Berbatov and changed the dynamic of the best attack in Europe to fit him in.

Then the summers from 09 onwards happened ...

Unread 13-03-2019, 06:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
One of Fergie's flaws was not improving us after our European cup victories

After 99 he bought no one major, after 08 he bought Berbatov and changed the dynamic of the best attack in Europe to fit him in.

Then the summers from 09 onwards happened ...
Fair shout. Love Berba but I think Fergie regretted sidelining Tevez for him.

Both cases I suspect the club hamstrung Fergie. Perhaps scouting let him down thereafter.

Unread 13-03-2019, 06:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Fair shout. Love Berba but I think Fergie regretted sidelining Tevez for him.

Both cases I suspect the club hamstrung Fergie. Perhaps scouting let him down thereafter.
One of Fergusons weak points. Falling in love with certain players who’d done well against us and playing the long pusuit. Berbatov was a great player, but he didn’t fit at that time. Him for Tevez was not an upgrade.

Unread 13-03-2019, 06:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
One of Fergusons weak points. Falling in love with certain players who’d done well against us and playing the long pusuit. Berbatov was a great player, but he didn’t fit at that time. Him for Tevez was not an upgrade.
As I keep saying when this is brought up, he was never originally bought as a replacement was he? Though yes, I admit it did rather turn out that way.

Unread 13-03-2019, 06:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
As I keep saying when this is brought up, he was never originally bought as a replacement was he? Though yes, I admit it did rather turn out that way.
He may have been a different type of player but we weren’t going to play with both of them and Rooney and Ronaldo. Fergie must have thought Berbs>Tevez. I think within six months he’d totally changed his mind.

Unread 13-03-2019, 07:04 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
28 million wasn't even that much at the time

Glasgow Rangers spent 36 million that season
Yeah but they never paid any taxes so it works out about evens...

Unread 13-03-2019, 07:10 PM
andyroo

Did Lazio ever pay up for Stam?

Unread 13-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Did Lazio ever pay up for Stam?
Eventually. After UEFA threatened them, aye.

Unread 13-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He may have been a different type of player but we weren’t going to play with both of them and Rooney and Ronaldo. Fergie must have thought Berbs>Tevez. I think within six months he’d totally changed his mind.
Quieroz intimated that the plan was to play with all 4. Then he left and so did our tactical nous

Unread 14-03-2019, 12:24 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Quieroz intimated that the plan was to play with all 4. Then he left and so did our tactical nous
Getting beat at Liverpool trying that was a factor too

Unread 14-03-2019, 01:17 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Getting beat at Liverpool trying that was a factor too
I always thought that was the case but Ronaldo missed that match.

Unread 14-03-2019, 03:49 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Bullshit
Glasgow Rangers were spending more on transfers at that time

The big Italian and Spanish clubs were still out spending us on transfers and wages
Never got close to breaking a world transfer record
2000-2005, %@#$&!s. It was the first time we could match them on wages, and every summer we bought a top player for 20-30m.

Unread 14-03-2019, 08:28 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
Eventually. After IKEA threatened them, aye.

Unread 14-03-2019, 10:51 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
2000-2005, %@#$&!s. It was the first time we could match them on wages, and every summer we bought a top player for 20-30m.
If we were matching the biggest clubs in Europe on wages and transfer fees then why weren't we trying to sign the very best players in the world

Veron, Rooney and Rio were very good players but they weren't in the top 10 list for the Balon d'Or when we signed them

We still weren't up with the top spenders in Europe during that period

Unread 14-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Baron

Who would buy De Gea for the money he is worth? PSG? He's a £100m+ player all day long, if anyone took him you just go back to Atleti & get Oblak for £70m or so on far less wages & spend the balance on a right back.

It's not that hard.

Unread 14-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Welcome back @#%&!o.

Unread 14-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
If we were matching the biggest clubs in Europe on wages and transfer fees then why weren't we trying to sign the very best players in the world

Veron, Rooney and Rio were very good players but they weren't in the top 10 list for the Balon d'Or when we signed them

We still weren't up with the top spenders in Europe during that period
Because fergie chose the players he chose. He preferred youngish players with hunger who were already good enough to be the best in England, and with the potential to develop into the very best in Europe. And clearly we weren’t going to beat Madrid for the galacticos. No club was.

2000-2005 was a long way from the limitations prior.

Unread 14-03-2019, 07:56 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
I always thought that was the case but Ronaldo missed that match.
Yeah, he did now that you mention it. That it helped put off SAF playing Berbs and Tevez together remains true tho.

Unread 17-03-2019, 03:04 PM
AK14

Here we go again...

Unread 17-03-2019, 03:05 PM
waynes ear's

Stunned. Bye
Closed Thread