United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I want a young, positive manager with something to prove. We haven't tried that yet.
A 46 year old Fergie would still be sacked in 3 seasons or so. It’s pointless even thinking a new manager will make much difference. Regular top 4 under someone like pochettino is the best we can hope under Woodward and the glazers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I hope there's an overlap. We need to be successful to fill their pockets.
They were happy with last season, which is why they didn’t push the boat out in the summer. They expected a comfortable top 4 this season, and it’s quite funny how much money it may cost them.

United will now always be a step or two away from where the fans and manager want them to be. Any manager will have to accept that frustration or go the way of mourinho.

pochettino is their perfect manager, having been well trained at Tottenham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Famous last words, but yeah.
He’s the age Fergie was around 1996. He’s going to win a shitload after united.

Unread 05-12-2018, 06:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
you're overlooking the fact that the football was utter turd.
No I’m not. Suggesting that loyalty was needed acknowledges there were problems to overcome.

Unread 05-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Jethro

Oh the days when Moyes wanted us to be like City and now the benchmark is Everton. What a time. What a time to be alive.

Unread 05-12-2018, 07:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Oh the days when Moyes wanted us to be like City and now the benchmark is Everton. What a time. What a time to be alive.
As I said earlier, he's almost telegraphing it now.

Unread 06-12-2018, 04:36 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
No I’m not. Suggesting that loyalty was needed acknowledges there were problems to overcome.

Like showing a spine when playing West Ham ffs?

Unread 06-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Why would anyone be loyal to a Dutch manager in his sixties who’d been here two years and been shit?

Loyalty to a manger who said he was leaving a year later regardless? So on the off chance he overcomes the problems (one of which was he’d lost the dressing room), he then leaves anyway. The risk/reward ratio didn’t exactly support letting him carry on. Loyalty is to the club and it’s best interests, not individuals earning a fortune.

Unread 06-12-2018, 10:55 AM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Why would anyone be loyal to a Dutch manager in his sixties who’d been here two years and been shit?

Loyalty to a manger who said he was leaving a year later regardless? So on the off chance he overcomes the problems (one of which was he’d lost the dressing room), he then leaves anyway. The risk/reward ratio didn’t exactly support letting him carry on. Loyalty is to the club and it’s best interests, not individuals earning a fortune.
But poor Jose should be given free reign? Despite clearly having lost the dressing room, producing worse football than LvG and turning the squad into a disjointed, dis-organised mess, non of which is his fault, it's all Woodward for vetoing the signing of more past it players?

Cool. Carry on Dodger you £#%&!ing buffoon.

Unread 06-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
it's all Woodward for vetoing the signing of more past it players?

Completely as an aside from LVG/Jose, no, Woodward shouldn't be vetoing any players regardless of if he thinks they are 'past it'.

The guy is not has not and never will be a footballing man and is not even remotely qualified to be making those decisions.

Unread 06-12-2018, 12:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

He had been here less than 18 months at the time. And the answer to your question about the value of loyalty/faith in him is that it may have worked out better than throwing it all out and sitting here three years later under your mate in 8th place in the league.

Unread 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Completely as an aside from LVG/Jose, no, Woodward shouldn't be vetoing any players regardless of if he thinks they are 'past it'.

The guy is not has not and never will be a footballing man and is not even remotely qualified to be making those decisions.
Nor should he be OK-ing the sale of the likes of Bailly & Martial & approving chucking money at Willian, Alderweireld, Boateng or any other geriatric Jose fancied chucking in the side for 90 minutes every game until their legs fell off inside 6 months.

Probably why we're in the current standoff situation.

Unread 06-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Nor should he be OK-ing the sale of the likes of Bailly, Blind & Martial & approving chucking money at Willian, Alderweireld, Boateng or any other geriatric Jose fancied chucking in the side for 90 minutes every game until their legs fell off inside 6 months.

Probably why we're in the current standoff situation.
Agreed....

Unread 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Buck

Quote:

If it wasn't for Woodward putting his foot down, Martial would not be here.

I have many qualms with Woodward but in the stand off regarding transfers this summer I think only one man had any consideration of the long term ramifications in mind.

Unread 06-12-2018, 02:10 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

I have many qualms with Woodward but in the stand off regarding transfers this summer I think only one man had any consideration of the long term ramifications in mind.
Agreed.

Also boo-booing the signing of Harry Maguire was also duly noted.

Unread 08-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
But poor Jose should be given free reign?
Nice spin.

Quote:
Carry on Dodger you £#%&!ing buffoon.
Physician, heal thyself.

Quote:
He had been here less than 18 months at the time. And the answer to your question about the value of loyalty/faith in him is that it may have worked out better than throwing it all out and sitting here three years later under your mate in 8th place in the league.
18 months and it was shit, and was leaving 18 months later regardless. If you think that points to taking a risk in continuing then your decision making isn’t the best. The Glazers care about the next set of financial results. That’s it.

How could it have worked out better anyway? Even if he pulled it around before leaving, Woodward would still have appointed a replacement manager who would have completely changed everything. Van gaal was short term desperation to get back in the top 4. From the footballing point of view it was a waste of time given there was no long term plan to continue his ‘philosophy’ once he left.

As for mourinho being my ‘mate’, My approach to him has used the same criteria as my approach to van gaal’s time.

Quote:
Nor should he be OK-ing the sale of the likes of Bailly & Martial & approving chucking money at Willian, Alderweireld, Boateng or any other geriatric Jose fancied chucking in the side for 90 minutes every game until their legs fell off inside 6 months.
Right out of woodward’s leak to the media after deadline day. You utter gimp.

He should be okaying the sales of any player a manager wants to sell. Or sack the manager. I don’t think woodward has the skillset to judge the dynamics within the dressing room like the manager has, so he shouldn’t be overruling a manager over a player due to commercial interests. Let a manager manage by giving them the authority to do so, rather than undermining it in full public view because you understand nothing other than spreadsheet figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

And maybe the environment would be better and thus the collective spirit and performance. I guess it’s a good job woodward wasn’t at the club in the past. Fergie would have been prevented from getting rid of whiteside and McGrath and probably beckham.

Woodward was only considering the short and medium term financial considerations as instructed by his bosses. Which I find funny, as it’s his actions being motivated only by finance which has seen us predictably not getting champions league qualification this season, which is their only real footballing ambition and one they expected whilst also putting mourinho in his place.

Unread 08-12-2018, 03:00 PM
dunk

You’re a £#%&!ing fruitcake

Unread 08-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
You’re a £#%&!ing fruitcake
You lose.

Unread 08-12-2018, 04:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
You lose.
Honestly, I don’t. You typed all that bullshit

Unread 09-12-2018, 02:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

18 months and it was shit, and was leaving 18 months later regardless. If you think that points to taking a risk in continuing then your decision making isn’t the best. The Glazers care about the next set of financial results. That’s it.

How could it have worked out better anyway? Even if he pulled it around before leaving, Woodward would still have appointed a replacement manager who would have completely changed everything. Van gaal was short term desperation to get back in the top 4. From the footballing point of view it was a waste of time given there was no long term plan to continue his ‘philosophy’ once he left.

As for mourinho being my ‘mate’, My approach to him has used the same criteria as my approach to van gaal’s time.
No it hasn't. You describe Van Gaal's performance as shit 18 months in having taken us from a 7th place finish to within a point of the top, with much younger players, yet you are pretty quiet on such assessments of Mourinho spending a fortune to have us 7th.

The argument doesn't make sense anyway. We shouldn't have continued down that path because we weren't going to anyway?

Unread 09-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
No it hasn't. You describe Van Gaal's performance as shit 18 months in having taken us from a 7th place finish to within a point of the top, with much younger players, yet you are pretty quiet on such assessments of Mourinho spending a fortune to have us 7th.
Mourinho had us second and in a cup final after winning two trophies the season before, and my stance is always judge a manager after 3 seasons, barring disaster. I stated months ago what would happen this season once the summer transfer window had finished and Woodward leaked his shit to the media.

Quote:
The argument doesn't make sense anyway. We shouldn't have continued down that path because we weren't going to anyway?
Read it again and think about the risk of continuing verses the potential reward. If you think the potential reward was worth the risk, there’s no helping you.

Unread 09-12-2018, 04:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Mourinho had us second and in a cup final after winning two trophies the season before, and my stance is always judge a manager after 3 seasons, barring disaster. I stated months ago what would happen this season once the summer transfer window had finished and Woodward leaked his shit to the media.

Read it again and think about the risk of continuing verses the potential reward. If you think the potential reward was worth the risk, there’s no helping you.
Based on what? We are here three years later in an even worse state, with a manager who has set back all the young players at the club and tactically failed to develop us in the slightest. How can you dispute that not making that change could have worked out better?
Closed Thread