United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 08-03-2018, 11:28 PM
ScarFace

Cool The Sopranos Movie

The Sopranos creator David Chase is set to return to the franchise with a prequel to the hit HBO series.

The crime drama is to be revived with a movie set in the 1960s featuring some familiar characters, Deadline reports.

New Line has purchased the screenplay with the working title The Many Saints of Newark which is set against the backdrop of the Newark riots of the sixties.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...uel-movie.html

Unread 09-03-2018, 12:45 AM
Cream

Delighted, obviously, but if it's the same characters, only younger, that's gonna be a tough ask.

Who could do a convincing Paulie Walnuts.

Unread 09-03-2018, 01:56 AM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Delighted, obviously, but if it's the same characters, only younger, that's gonna be a tough ask.

Who could do a convincing Paulie Walnuts?

Unread 09-03-2018, 06:54 AM
BarryX

Unread 09-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Red Santos

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Unread 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
That Hashtag Show reported new details about The Sopranos’ prequel movie, The Many Saints of Newark, most notably the narrative sketches of five purported characters. According to the story, a “Young Tony” will be part of the storyline, set amongst the city riots of the late 60s. In addition, Dickie Moltisanti will be featured, suggesting that Christopher Moltisanti (originally portrayed in The Sopranos by Michael Imperioli) may also be part of the film. While That Hashtag Show reveals little information about how this information was acquired, the article notes that “Aldo Moltisanti” will presumably be a new character: the grandfather of Tony Soprano, described as an “elegant wiseguy.”

Alan Taylor - who directed nine episode of The Sopranos, including six during the final season - has signed on to oversee The Many Saints of Newark. While he’s certainly an experienced theatrical filmmaker (Thor: The Dark World, Terminator Genisys), he’s mostly known as the visionary behind various Game of Thrones’ episodes such as “Fire and Blood” and “Valar Morghulis,” amongst many others during season 1 and season 2. After stepping away, Taylor returned to direct the season 7 episode “Beyond the Wall.” Given the filmmakers’ HBO resume and collaborative history with Chase, viewers can expect a specific aesthetic when imagining The Many Saints of Newark’s look and feel.
Article on it today in Esquire, too.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-ne...nts-of-newark/

This guy is playing Dickie Moltisanti:

Quote:
Tell me about your character, Richard ‘Dickie’ Moltisanti. He’s a legendary figure in the show.

I'm playing a guy in his thirties/forties, and that generation, in Newark in the sixties, would have spoken hardly any Italian at all. There was a lot of Sicilian and Neapolitan dialect words – Goomah! Pro-shoot! Mozarell! – so there's a lingo, but an element of the story that's important is that I can't speak Italian, and that I can't communicate with an Italian immigrant who I get to know. I don't start shooting until April, so until then I'm just going to hang out with Made Men in social clubs.

American Italians are so proud of being from Italy. Everything about the construct of their lives, and even the construct of organised crime, was based, inherited and designed to pay tribute to the Motherland. And yet when they [the Soprano crew] go back there, people don't think of them as Italian at all. They think: these people are fucking assholes! That was true of me as a young guy going back there. When I was in America I thought I was Italian, but when I went to Italy I was the most American guy they'd ever seen!

What’s in store for the young Tony Soprano?

Tony's going to be mid-teens, right at that tender age where he needs guidance, and all he gets is me.

How much time have you spent with David Chase?

I've met David Chase twice. My next door neighbour in Brooklyn is Tim Van Patten, who directed, like, half of The Sopranos episodes. He's become one of my closest friends, so when I got offered the role he couldn't believe it. He invited me round to thanksgiving lunch, he opened the door and David Chase was there. That was a shock.

Last edited by windy waffles; 06-12-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Unread 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM
ScarFace

Hope it's good. Same for the breaking bad movie.