United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 16-03-2010, 12:08 AM
thatsfuctit

Default More national press - another sacking

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...acked-protest?

United kiosk worker sacked for wearing green and gold scarf at Old Trafford• Club says worker refused to follow 'strict uniform policy'

MUTV and Manchester United players have been banned from discussing the 'green and gold' anti-Glazer protests.

A student working part-time in an Old Trafford catering kiosk has become the latest individual connected with Manchester United to claim he has felt the strength of the club's backlash against protests targeting the Glazers.

Jerry Vyse, a first-year anthropology student at Manchester University, said he bought a green and gold scarf outside the ground and wore it during his half-time shift at last week's Champions League match against Milan only to be sacked when he refused to remove it.

He said that supporters stocking up on half-time pies and Bovril cheered his stance and booed when his supervisor put the queue on hold and asked him to leave the kiosk, marching him to the office of the catering manager.

"I turned to the supervisor and asked him why I could not continue doing my job," Vyse told Student Direct, the Manchester University newspaper and website. "He said it was not because I was wearing a scarf because, if it had been a different colour, he would not have minded.

"MUFC will no doubt state that the decision was based on uniform policy – what he told me surely refutes that. He said it was because it was 'anti-Glazer'. Does it not sniff a little bit like a dictatorship if not even the smallest of dissents can be made about an incredibly rich man who has more or less taken over the club?"

The Champions League tie was largely seen as a triumph for the protesters targeting the Glazers and supporting a potential takeover bid from the self-styled Red Knights, with David Beckham donning a green and gold scarf as he left the pitch following loud protests during the game.

In an attempt to quell the dissent United have banned players from discussing the campaign, forbidden the inhouse TV channel MUTV from mentioning it and sacked a steward after 19 years' service for attempting to return an anti-Glazer banner to its owners.

A spokesman for United said that Vyse did not comply with the club's uniform policy and refused to remove the scarf when asked.

United's chief executive, David Gill, today again defended the club's business model as he unveiled its latest overseas sponsorship deal, with Turkish Airlines. "People presuppose we have financial problems," he said. "We do not believe that is the correct situation. We are very comfortable and we have a sensible business strategy that will continue for many years to come." The Glazers have hugely increased the club's commercial revenues and plan to agressively target further expansion in overseas markets."We have 333 million followers and yesterday we celebrated 100 years at this great stadium," said Gill.

"Our history and heritage means we can bring a lot to the table. There is also a professionalism about us, so, whilst we are in an economic downturn, there are still many successful companies in the world who are investing in the future. We are one of the quality partners big entities can still associate with."

Unread 16-03-2010, 08:51 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Default Re: More national press - another sacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...acked-protest?

United kiosk worker sacked for wearing green and gold scarf at Old Trafford• Club says worker refused to follow 'strict uniform policy'

MUTV and Manchester United players have been banned from discussing the 'green and gold' anti-Glazer protests.

A student working part-time in an Old Trafford catering kiosk has become the latest individual connected with Manchester United to claim he has felt the strength of the club's backlash against protests targeting the Glazers.

Jerry Vyse, a first-year anthropology student at Manchester University, said he bought a green and gold scarf outside the ground and wore it during his half-time shift at last week's Champions League match against Milan only to be sacked when he refused to remove it.

He said that supporters stocking up on half-time pies and Bovril cheered his stance and booed when his supervisor put the queue on hold and asked him to leave the kiosk, marching him to the office of the catering manager.

"I turned to the supervisor and asked him why I could not continue doing my job," Vyse told Student Direct, the Manchester University newspaper and website. "He said it was not because I was wearing a scarf because, if it had been a different colour, he would not have minded.

"MUFC will no doubt state that the decision was based on uniform policy – what he told me surely refutes that. He said it was because it was 'anti-Glazer'. Does it not sniff a little bit like a dictatorship if not even the smallest of dissents can be made about an incredibly rich man who has more or less taken over the club?"

The Champions League tie was largely seen as a triumph for the protesters targeting the Glazers and supporting a potential takeover bid from the self-styled Red Knights, with David Beckham donning a green and gold scarf as he left the pitch following loud protests during the game.

In an attempt to quell the dissent United have banned players from discussing the campaign, forbidden the inhouse TV channel MUTV from mentioning it and sacked a steward after 19 years' service for attempting to return an anti-Glazer banner to its owners.

A spokesman for United said that Vyse did not comply with the club's uniform policy and refused to remove the scarf when asked.

United's chief executive, David Gill, today again defended the club's business model as he unveiled its latest overseas sponsorship deal, with Turkish Airlines. "People presuppose we have financial problems," he said. "We do not believe that is the correct situation. We are very comfortable and we have a sensible business strategy that will continue for many years to come." The Glazers have hugely increased the club's commercial revenues and plan to agressively target further expansion in overseas markets."We have 333 million followers and yesterday we celebrated 100 years at this great stadium," said Gill.

"Our history and heritage means we can bring a lot to the table. There is also a professionalism about us, so, whilst we are in an economic downturn, there are still many successful companies in the world who are investing in the future. We are one of the quality partners big entities can still associate with."

Turkish Airlines director at the back of K-stand on Sunday

Unread 16-03-2010, 08:59 AM
waynes ear's

is it just me or are the club whoring themselves about a bit?

Unread 16-03-2010, 10:58 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Turkish Airlines director at the back of K-stand on Sunday

Did you just approach a guy in a suit and say can I take your picture please?

Unread 16-03-2010, 04:32 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial

Did you just approach a guy in a suit and say can I take your picture please?

Nah mate, seen it somewhere else.