United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: how did fergie handle the ronnie transfer saga?
handled it superbly 26 76.47%
pretty good, could have been better 6 17.65%
not very well, made plenty of mistakes 1 2.94%
£#%&!ing dreadful, what was he thinking? 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:10 AM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I think there are two issues here.

First and foremost, I think the club and Fergie handled the situation well - eventually.

But to my mind, it was a situation that could and should have been avoided. For whatever reason, the club were not able to control Ronaldo's stirring of the situation - a situation that was being actively instigated by the player before we had even finished the season. He was interviewed before the Champs League final and gave it - not sure where my future lies - we'll have to wait and see etc.

I can't quite reconcile why the player was allowed to precipitate this scenario publically and the club not come down hard and fast before the silly @#%&! left the club for the summer.

So no, they reacted well but only after they had £#%&!ed up.
The club (Fergie) were always acting with one hand tied behind their backs and dealt with what they could deal with.

How many of the quotes/stories were directly attributable to Ronnie/Real, rather than friends/family/a source close too Ronnie or that £#%&!ing Marca newspaper?

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:10 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
I think there are two issues here.

First and foremost, I think the club and Fergie handled the situation well - eventually.

But to my mind, it was a situation that could and should have been avoided. For whatever reason, the club were not able to control Ronaldo's stirring of the situation - a situation that was being actively instigated by the player before we had even finished the season. He was interviewed before the Champs League final and gave it - not sure where my future lies - we'll have to wait and see etc.

I can't quite reconcile why the player was allowed to precipitate this scenario publically and the club not come down hard and fast before the silly @#%&! left the club for the summer.

So no, they reacted well but only after they had £#%&!ed up.
Well, Ronaldo was away with the Portugal squad during most of the speculation, so I think it was very difficult for the club to control him at that point. Almost as soon as he returned to OT and faced Fergie, a statement was put out ending all the speculation (for now at least).

What has pleased me about the whole situation was Madrids attempts to lure away our best player failed, yet the use of Robinho as part of the deal convinced him to leave. So they'll start next season having lost their best player, while we still have ours. Calderon really is a @#%&!

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:12 AM
armchair

Fergie>King of Spain

Makes franco look like a @#%&!

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Baron

the fact he's still here & Fergie's not killed him means he's done superbly.

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:20 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Fergie>King of Spain

Those Madrid @#%&!s didn't like it when he mentioned Real’s historical connections to that fascist dictator, did they

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:27 AM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Those Madrid @#%&!s didn't like it when he mentioned Real’s historical connections to that fascist dictator, did they
I think Queiros caused more of a stir over there with his comments about that Spanish/Portuguese contested village stirring up anti-Portuguese sentiment amongst the locals.

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:27 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Fergie>King of Spain

You are Patrice Evra and i claim my 200euros.

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:35 AM
My Name is Keith

The bottom line is that the club/Fergie have not been able to manage this player effectively.

That is a management failing whichever way you look at it. Understandable but a failing all the same.

End of story.

Ronaldo started all this before the season finished. I heard him live on national radio do it. It should have been put to bed then.

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:57 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
The bottom line is that the club/Fergie have not been able to manage this player effectively.

I dunno about that, they got 40+ goals out of him and a PL/CL double. You cannot control every aspect of modern players lives, partcularly when they are in different countries or even continents, just look at the state Rooney came back to pre-season in. Fact is Fergie and the club, held their nerve and eventually slapped the player into line. Now whether I agree with doing so or not, I can't argue with how they did it.

Unread 28-08-2008, 10:58 AM
MUFC One Love

Keith has a point here. United just seemed to let him stay away stirring it up, he should have been hauled back earlier. Forget all this 'recovering from injury' %@#$&!s, he could have recovered here, he should have been brought back and asked what the £#%&! is going on.

Unread 28-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Billy Baroo

Quote:

That is a management failing whichever way you look at it. Understandable but a failing all the same.

End of story.

Ronaldo started all this before the season finished. I heard him live on national radio do it. It should have been put to bed then.
i think some players become almost unmanageable

ego and lifestyle take over at a very young age

ronnie is fantastic on the pitch (sometimes infuriating) but off the pitch he is an excruciating embarrassment

i'm not sure the club could have done more

in fact when it comes to him and eric i think fergie held onto 2 players that other clubs could not have

Unread 28-08-2008, 11:02 AM
puressence

ronaldo appears to be bigger than the club and ferie .. it wasnt ronnie running around europe trying to sort it out it was ferie something im sure years ago (eric aprt) he would never have done . should have £#%&!ed him off and had done with it

Unread 28-08-2008, 11:18 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I dunno about that, they got 40+ goals out of him and a PL/CL double. You cannot control every aspect of modern players lives, partcularly when they are in different countries or even continents, just look at the state Rooney came back to pre-season in. Fact is Fergie and the club, held their nerve and eventually slapped the player into line. Now whether I agree with doing so or not, I can't argue with how they did it.
I think my sentence was badly written. Of course Fergie has got the best out of Ronaldo during the season. My point was that Fergie is famed for his man management and to have your leading player openly speculate about his own future just before one of the biggest matches in the clubs history is a management failing. To then have that player spend the rest of the summer continue with the same agenda is pretty £#%&!ing lame to be honest.

If you tried to provide an analogy from the commercial/business world you couldn’t conclude anything other than it’s a management failing.

As I said earlier, it's perhaps understandable because as Billy intimates, Ronaldo is a £#%&!ing length and difficult to control.

The principle redeeming feature of this being played out in public is that Real have come out of this in a far weaker position than when it all started.

Unread 28-08-2008, 11:22 AM
MUFC One Love

Madrid do look very silly. They clearly unsettled Robinho and Cauldron has failed with promises again. He's signed Van Der Vaart and is selling Robinho.

Unread 28-08-2008, 11:31 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Madrid do look very silly. They clearly unsettled Robinho and Cauldron has failed with promises again. He's signed Van Der Vaart and is selling Robinho.
Good and bad news.

Weakens Madrid, it'll bolster Chelsea.
Closed Thread