Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
red in cumbria

Default So 20 league games on........

Over half the season, in other words - and still unbeaten

Is this a record for United now??

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:22 AM
thatsfuctit

Default Re: So 20 league games on........

you know i don't generally doom - but HOW? United teams that would rip this one a new rissole haven't done it.

We had a silly good start one year under big fat ron, but not sure it was this long.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:25 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
you know i don't generally doom - but HOW? United teams that would rip this one a new rissole haven't done it.

We had a silly good start one year under big fat ron, but not sure it was this long.
Nope, lost a game soon after that original ten (?) game winning run - still a club record (from the season start, anyway) IIRC. Take that away and our form was mid-table that season

The dismal start to the following campaign (and BFR's sacking) was no great surprise, taking that into consideration.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:26 AM
carlosartorial

The Big Ron great start was 85/86. First loss was at Sheff Wed which was about 14 games in. I dont know whether this years effort is a club record but it's certainly the longest unbeaten start from us I can remember.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Whalefish

Make the most of it, it ends at WHL.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
dunk

20 league games played

I'm still waiting for the season to get going its been pretty far from entertaining and enjoyable thus far.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:35 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
20 league games played

I'm still waiting for the season to get going its been pretty far from entertaining and enjoyable thus far.
I think watching the 15 point swing between us and Chelsea over the last 6-7 weeks has been marvellous fun.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Coracao

This has to be one of the dullest sides i've seen us have.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Gorilla Monsoon

If we come through the spurs game unscathed, I'd expect us to get to 25 games unbeaten. Then we have a difficult little run.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:38 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Make the most of it, it ends at WHL.
Quite possible. I expect us to at least be up for that one, though.

Re Dunk's point - it hasn't been *that* bad. We have been dogged by persistent injuries to key players, and off-field distractions. And there have been some good games, nonetheless

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:38 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I think watching the 15 point swing between us and Chelsea over the last 6-7 weeks has been marvellous fun.
Watching Chelsea's demise has been fun, that is true, watching us stutter and false start our way along less so. I'm not sure, I'm just a bit weary of the way we've played in the main since winning the CL in '08. There have been flashes and moments of United like play, but it had all been horribly predictable most of the time.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:40 AM
taff

was reading the other day it's the first time in our history we've been unbeaten at christmas

so yeah, must be

red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
No worse than the 2008/09 one, really - IMO, anyway.

The side last season played better stuff than either then or now - despite being written off as a failure by most

Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Id just like us to have a fully fit Rooney, an on form berbatov, our best back 4 with VDS in goal, Anderson, Nani, Scholes and Fletch playing, and then see how we do.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
No worse than the 2008/09 one, really - IMO, anyway.

The side last season played better stuff than either then or now - despite being written off as a failure by most
Can't agree there. We're minus the player with the most 'flair' in the world, for a start.

It just seems a very methodical side atm. Not something I really associate with United.

Unread 05-01-2011, 12:48 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
Id just like us to have a fully fit Rooney, an on form berbatov, our best back 4 with VDS in goal, Anderson, Nani, Scholes and Fletch playing, and then see how we do.
Having Valencia back would be nice too. Injuries have been a factor, but it does feel like the squad is sort of in limbo, short of 2 or 3 real quality players, but they won't be bought, they're already on the books and we are patiently waiting for them to be ready. Sort of as we were with Rooney and Ronaldo 04-05 & 05-06.

Unread 05-01-2011, 01:24 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Can't agree there. We're minus the player with the most 'flair' in the world, for a start.

It just seems a very methodical side atm. Not something I really associate with United.
Ronnie or no Ronnie, there were a fair few crushingly dull games that season - and to a lesser extent, in the campaign before too. It is as if seeing the 2006-07 side dismantled by Milan in the CL (and only limping over the line in the league, despite the exhilerating football played earlier) made SAF determined to impose a more cautious, incremental style on the team.......

More "European", if you like

Unread 05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
dunk

There are always 'crushingly dull' games, there's always the odd humiliation and completely abject performance as well. I would say every season since Fergie has been here there have been a handful of instantly forgettable games at least. However, the last 2-3 seasons have produced far more than their fair share, and it feels like it has now become the norm to expect a dull game with 1 or 2 moments of interest rather than a decent game with 1 or 2 lulls in play.

I wouldn't suggest this is entirely United's fault either, it just leads to a lessening of enjoyment for fans, imo.

Unread 05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Withers

The Crap Invincibles.

Unread 05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
The Crap Invincibles.

tbh going unbeaten > winning the treble.

Arsenal fans say so.
Closed Thread