United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Darth Vidic

Default If we were a week away from the start of the 95/96 season ...

What would the atmosphere be like on here? Fergie having sold some big names and pushing some youth forward into the first team instead.

This isn't meant to be a thread to satirise what's going on at the moment, just genuinely interested as to what the fan's attitude was like as too young too remember.

Did people think he was being suicidal - in the same way that to not really strengthen now or last summer was crazy?

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Menace

Default Re: If we were a week away from the start of the 95/96 season ...

The circumstances are COMPLETELY different.

But the bottom line is, I will always trust Fergie. If he thinks our current squad are good enough to win the league, then I'm with him.

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:24 PM
red in cumbria

There actually were a few internet messageboards already around then - I joined CompuServe in the summer of '95 as it happens. There was a bit of gloom (or perhaps nervousness is a better word) from Utd fans in fact, especially *after* the Villa game

And Menace - COMPLETELY different?? There was a bit of media chatter in mid-95 that we had become a "selling" club.......

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:26 PM
The Mull

My threads would be a lot thinner. hth assissts

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:28 PM
BulgarianSpectator

....and there weren't billionaires buying up other clubs and inflating the price of any potential transfer target.

And the youth coming through had been forced to play in first team matches for several years before because of the 3 foreigner rule in Europe at the time.

We still had Schmichel, Pallister, Irwin, Keane, Cantona, Cole; it wasn't as if those players were 37-40 and in the last year of their career. And of the young ones, Giggs and Neville had 100+ appearances already.

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM
carlosartorial

Regardless of what anyone says, the mood was of complete doom.

Ince (our best midfielder of the prev 5 years), Hughes (legend) and Kanchelskis all gone and nobody brought in to replace them.

There were no positives that summer....but that following season is still my favourite as a United fan.

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial

Ince (our best midfielder of the prev 5 years), Hughes (legend) and Kanchelskis all gone and nobody brought in to replace them.

There were no positives that summer....but that following season is still my favourite as a United fan.
Word.

dicked at vanilla park aswell 1st game................eat shit ya'all.

Pushes 99 very close

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
dunk

The loss of Kanchelskis and Ince was devastating. I was £#%&!ing gutted that we lost Andrei, that was a serious dent in our attacking prowess in my eyes, in fact, in just about everybody I knew's eyes.

06-07 is my favourite season of the last decade, and that started off with similar foreboding to this one.

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Coracao

Absolute moot point considering the players who may step up are 2 or 3 years away. In 95/96 they were ready.

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:53 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Absolute moot point considering the players who may step up are 2 or 3 years away. In 95/96 they were ready.
Only bloody Ferie knew that tbh thank£#%&!ery

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
Only bloody Ferie knew that tbh thank£#%&!ery
They were 3 years on from winning the youth cup.

The better players right now now have only just started playing in the reserves, and they may not go beyond that.

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:02 PM
The Mull

Quote:
They were 3 years on from winning the youth cup.

The better players right now now have only just started playing in the reserves, and they may not go beyond that.
but nobody expected them to step up and do the biz.

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
but nobody expected them to step up and do the biz.
Completely different set of circumstances.

They weren't watched every single week on tv from the age of 16 for a start.

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
wonky no

that group of kids were all signed on professional contracts after the youth cup, something very rare that. wasn't that the year we had a gate of over 25k for the res' ? they were special.

plus if someone started a thread on the internet in aug 95 the page wouldn't load until december.

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
that group of kids were all signed on professional contracts after the youth cup, something very rare that. wasn't that the year we had a gate of over 25k for the res' ? they were special.

plus if someone started a thread on the internet in aug 95 the page wouldn't load until december.
evening mr nob

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:25 PM
The Mull

Quote:

FFs Ears told me the putor he sold me was circa 2003, @#%&!

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
wonky no

Quote:
evening mr nob
howdy

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Coracao

Quote:
howdy

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:57 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial

correct

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
correct
Don't forget all the rumours that Eric was £#%&!ing off to Italy too!
Closed Thread