United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:32 AM
dunk

Question The term 'Genius' and it's use in football...

All here are football fans with viable opinions and a decent grasp on the game, something I respect in each and every one of you, after all, if it weren't true, you wouldn't choose to hunt out a forum as fine and unforgiving as this to hang around.

The question of the term Genius has plagued my thoughts today and I am interested to hear your opinions on the various aspects and implications of the word/description within football.

For instance, IMO, I wouldn't necessarily rate Ronaldo as a 'Genius', under my definition in football, Messi, I would, but I would rather have Ronaldo in my team.

Fat Ronaldo wasn't a genius in my eyes, more an unstoppable force, whereas Bergkamp most definitely was.

Ginola and Di Canio were both capable of 'Moments of Genius' but neither deserves the title, after all, Poborsky's chip against Portugal in Euro '96 was a moment of Genius, ever did it again, as far as I know.

So is everybody capable? Do some have more in their locker than others, whereas some just ooze it from every pore all the time (Zidane)? Is it the ability to do what no one else can (Ibrahimovic?), albeit inconsistently, or the ability to do it when it matters (Gerrard?).

My last example before turning the question over to the forum, van Nistelrooy, goal scorer, Henry, Genius, IMO.

(All opinions, examples, video footage, pictures, insults, titanics and arguments welcome)

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:37 AM
marlo

rvp = genius.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Pop

Jermaine Jenas is one according to Martin Tyler

I don't buy the whole 'genius' thing though. Amazing skill and vision yes but lets not go overboard.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Whalefish

Pavel Nedved was/is a genius IMO and has arguably been my favourite non Utd footballer for as long as I care to remember. I can't single out why, Zidane was better as were others, but he's always struck me as gold whenever I've seen him play.

I'd also have these from my memory vault:

Eric
Romario
Hristo Stoichkov
Del Piero
Zidane

Dejan Savicevic and Redondo are two others I'd consider geniuses but one could argue there stats would suggest otherwise. I don't care. Games I've seen live, or from tapes, of these two have left me speechless at times.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Zorg

I suppose there are no strict criteria, but I tend to think of geniuses as people who are unique and maybe unpredictable, who do things no-one else does, who have a significant impact on their field.

That's why I'd rate Eric as one, and obviously Best, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Zidane.

Then again, what about keepers? Schmeichel is probably the best there's ever been. Genius? I don't know.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Whalefish

Good shout re keepers. Dino Zoff?

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:48 AM
sweetleftfoot

Georgie Best nft.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Good shout re keepers. Dino Zoff?
Good one. World Cup winner. Never seen one second of him playing though so I can't really say.

Maybe there's something inherent in defending (which includes goalkeeping) that precludes being a genius - without wanting to belittle them, defenders and goalkeepers are just there to stop the opposition. There's no creative element, nothing to be produced.

Then again, maybe that's arsewipe.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Whalefish

In terms of defenders, Maldini could be one?

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:51 AM
dunk

Best, without shadow of a doubt, but was Eusebio?

I rank Ryan Giggs as a Genius, personally, Maldini and Rivaldo as well.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I suppose there are no strict criteria, but I tend to think of geniuses as people who are unique and maybe unpredictable, who do things no-one else does, who have a significant impact on their field.
That Madrid vs Utd game at OT, the one where Redondo did Berg. He completely dominated our midfield that night. I don't think Keane was able to stamp his usual authority on the game because of him.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Zorg

Quote:
That Madrid vs Utd game at OT, the one where Redondo did Berg. He completely dominated our midfield that night. I don't think Keane was able to stamp his usual authority on the game because of him.
Yeah he was just amazing. I expected him to be much more dominant after that, but despite still being ace he never seemed to shine as much.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Dueling Banjos

Boniek.

Unread 23-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Coracao

A genius for me, sees things that others don't and not only does he see them, he is capable of pulling them off. On the highest stage, at the highest level.

There aren't many of them about...

This man is one, and this goal exemplifies why, as I don't think any other player would have finished it like that.

Unread 23-01-2009, 01:01 AM
thatsfuctit

maradona

cruyff (johann)

gazza is the closest english man in my lifetime, thought wayne had it, and maybe still does, and i love him, but he aint there yet

Unread 23-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
A genius for me, sees things that others don't and not only does he see them, he is capable of pulling them off. On the highest stage, at the highest level.
That's a great description.

The sheer majesty of that Zidane goal. It was symmetrically perfect, absolutely sublime.

Unread 23-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Pavel Nedved was/is a genius IMO and has arguably been my favourite non Utd footballer for as long as I care to remember. I can't single out why, Zidane was better as were others, but he's always struck me as gold whenever I've seen him play.
I've always liked Valeron. I think he underachieved really, perhaps lacked a certain drive to prevent him from becoming an elite player, rather than just a very good one.

Unread 23-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Whalefish

Agree re Valeron.

Unread 23-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Agree re Valeron.
I never get sick of seeing this goal:

That was a moment of genius.

Unread 23-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Alex de Large

Slightly off topic (But similar imo), never a cultured right foot etc.....

As for genius, Olé for me.
Closed Thread