United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Sparky***

Default Top 5 Results that still make you angry to this day...

...The games that made you so angry you wanted to kick the cat out the window or punch a horse in the face. And you still look back and think "@#%&!s".

For me a few results come to mind...

1) Barnsley 3 - 2 Man utd (fa cup 5th round 1998)

Some of the most shocking defending i've ever seen from United team. The likes of Ben Thornley and Michael Clegg graced the pitch that day. I particularly hated barnsley for that stupid badge of their with the dog on it, £#%&!ing sad @#%&!s.

2) West Ham 1 - 1 Man utd (last league game 1995)

Just one more goal. PLEASE, it just HAS to go in eventually, right? nope. No matter how many times you watch it, Cole keeps hitting that ball straight at the keeper. A £#%&!ing awful, awful day.

3) Manchester United 1 - 1 Porto (champions league 2004)

The game that basically made Jose Mourinho's name. A total robbery. If schole's perfectly good goal hadn't been ruled offside, Porto wouldn't win the champions league, Jose doesn't become manager of Chelsea and then who knows what...

4) Coventry City 3 - 2 Manchester utd (premier league 1997)

Winning 2-1 and coasting to an easy victory and then a complete collapse. I still think had schmeichel been playing and not kevin pilkington then huckerby would never have scored that 'wonder goal'. £#%&!ing Huckerby.

5) man utd 0 - 1 Portsmouth (fa cup 2008)

Like the west ham game, it will remain a mystery how we didn't score in this game. Carrick's miss stands out as one the all-time worst and then there was the blatant obstruction on Ronaldo. Carried on Harry Redknapp's record of pissing on our chips in cup competitions....

Unread 28-02-2009, 02:57 PM
The Mull

Meelan 3-3 liverpoo horrible horrible result

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default just 5?

vermin 3 United 3

United 0 Forest 4

United 0 Sunderland 0

2005 Cup final

United 3 Galatasaray 3

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:03 PM
wee man

1979 Cup Final
Dortmund
Leverkusen
West Ham 1995
Porto

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
vermin 3 United 3

United 0 Forest 4

United 0 Sunderland 0

2005 Cup final

United 3 Galatasaray 3
That was another total robbery. Arsenal's "best team ever" playing 10-men behind the ball.

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
...The games that made you so angry you wanted to kick the cat out the window or punch a horse in the face. And you still look back and think "@#%&!s".

For me a few results come to mind...

1) Barnsley 3 - 2 Man utd (fa cup 5th round 1998)

Some of the most shocking defending i've ever seen from United team. The likes of Ben Thornley and Michael Clegg graced the pitch that day. I particularly hated barnsley for that stupid badge of their with the dog on it, £#%&!ing sad @#%&!s.

2) West Ham 1 - 1 Man utd (last league game 1995)

Just one more goal. PLEASE, it just HAS to go in eventually, right? nope. No matter how many times you watch it, Cole keeps hitting that ball straight at the keeper. A £#%&!ing awful, awful day.

3) Manchester United 1 - 1 Porto (champions league 2004)

The game that basically made Jose Mourinho's name. A total robbery. If schole's perfectly good goal hadn't been ruled offside, Porto wouldn't win the champions league, Jose doesn't become manager of Chelsea and then who knows what...

4) Coventry City 3 - 2 Manchester utd (premier league 1997)

Winning 2-1 and coasting to an easy victory and then a complete collapse. I still think had schmeichel been playing and not kevin pilkington then huckerby would never have scored that 'wonder goal'. £#%&!ing Huckerby.

5) man utd 0 - 1 Portsmouth (fa cup 2008)

Like the west ham game, it will remain a mystery how we didn't score in this game. Carrick's miss stands out as one the all-time worst and then there was the blatant obstruction on Ronaldo. Carried on Harry Redknapp's record of pissing on our chips in cup competitions....
2 and 3 I can understand, but the rest? Barnsley in the cup left you distraught more than the game at Anfield in 1992 when we all came away thinking that them @#%&!s were right when they sung "You'll never win the league"? More than European Cup defeats like the semis against Dortmund or Leverkusen?

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Crumps

Dortmund
Monaco
Porto
Arsenal 1-0 when they won the league at OT
West Ham 95

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank
2 and 3 I can understand, but the rest? Barnsley in the cup left you distraught more than the game at Anfield in 1992 when we all came away thinking that them @#%&!s were right when they sung "You'll never win the league"? More than European Cup defeats like the semis against Dortmund or Leverkusen?

I'm not talking about distraught - i'm talking about angry.

i already knew we wouldn't win the league by the time we played Liverpool. They just confirmed it. And i wasn't Angry, just devastated.

Again as with the European cup games - I wasn't angry after those games.

If you notice, you'll see the games I get really angry about are usually against a £#%&!ing dogshit side who we should have beaten.

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Mr_Ed

Newcastle 5-0 United (we had the same number of attempts and shots on target that day)

United 0-1 Dortmund 97

FA Cup final 2005

United 0-1 Derby 2001 - the flattest title celebration?

United 0-1 Arsenal 2002 (They won the double that night)

Just to name a few

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:19 PM
The Mull

2) Sept. 89. :shakehead: 5-1

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
1979 Cup Final
Dortmund
Leverkusen
West Ham 1995
Porto
Spot on Wee Man - I would also add the 1976 Cup Final as well - I was seven years old and cried my eyes out that day.

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:32 PM
The Mull

3) 1972 5-1 Lids:shakehead:

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Ether

Losing to City at home last year was the worst ever for me. Even though it wasn't particularly important in the grand scheme of things, it still absolutely kills me just thinking about it.

Another one that springs to mind that hasn't been mentioned yet is losing our 40 year unbeaten record in Europe at OT to £#%&!ing Fenerbahce.

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:51 PM
The Mull

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
Meelan 3-3 liverpoo horrible horrible result:gag
Madder than a mad thing

Couldn't believe how Meeeeelan let that slip to the 2nd best team on merseydive, and peanut head did, @#%&!.Still irks me now.

Quote:
2) Sept. 89. :shakehead: 5-1
The maddest
FFS what can I say, there were only 100 or so uber/top/bgr Reds that stayed till the end. The %@#$&!s/shite we had to endure, spose it makes the last 20 years so much more appealing.

Quote:
3) 1972 5-1 Lids:shakehead:
We were awful this season, in fact we weren't that good most of it. They took the piss, 2,013 passes before a goal and all that shite, the press loved 'em, The Arse are todays equivalent. I cried on the way home, in fact I still do when we lose

4) Analfailed 92. We played the £#%&!ers off the pitch that day, thinking about it they've always been scrawpy bastards, and the piss taking from the murdering @#%&!s, £#%&! off back to Swansea you @#%&!s.

5) The Arse at OT. 1-0. Madder than Mad McMad from Maddsville

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Fatboy Shrek

City last year
Arse in 05 cup final
Leverkeusen
Dortmund
West Ham '95

Unread 28-02-2009, 03:52 PM
jem

Default I can't feel angry

about defeats that were about football. for example, the 79 cup final was probably the most gutting, given that we were out of it, the incredible high of getting back into it from nowhere and then the euphoria dissipating somewhat rapidly as we gifted the winner and the rug was pulled. that was too much of a rollercoaster. however, it was fair enough as far as the football went. we were outplayed, we fought, we lost. the 76 cup final, on the other hand, we were beaten by an offside goal. that makes me angry.

equally, drawing with west ham on the last day of the season was our own fault. now, you could get angry about west ham always £#%&!ing raising their game against us, but that's cheating the manager, not really cheating in a football sense. no anger there. even on the day, only disappointment. and it wasn't just cole, so don't pick on him.

the cup game against portsmouth is big angry because it effectively robbed us of a treble. we would have walked the cup and it was stolen from us by the referee. and that's a fact.

the game at highbury that bergkamp tripped irwin before running through to get the winner angers me. I think it was that game that we scored two perfectly legitimate goals, both wrongly ruled out for offside. if not, that's two games that angered me. :0) henry scored an offside goal against us too. indeed, you could build a whole anger silo out of decisions for arsenal (even in games in which we weren't playing).

dortmund... monaco.... our fault. well, injuries. and cantona missing from six yards with the keeper lying down. bayerlever, our fault. porto? £#%&!ing cheated out of it. angry. very angry.

liverpool milk cup... injuries, tiredness and, of course, liverpool £#%&!ing cheating. very, very, very angry. bastards.

cup v forest when we scored and the linesman didn't spot it. can't totally blame him as I think he was on the other side of the pitch with an obstructed view, but it definitely went in seen from the nearer side of the pitch (directly in line with the posts).

I have to say, though, that... in spite of what the idiot media and supporters of other teams say.... we far too frequently get dodgy results that have cost us trophies, but it makes it more glorious to win playing against 12 men and to know that we weren't just better than the other team, we were better than the other team cheating and the ref letting them. and we did it without passing back to the keeper for 80 minutes, taking free kicks from the wrong place or diving every time we got tackled.

Unread 28-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Luffy

Portsmouth last year, we dominated and they robbed us. Most angry cos the final would have been a walkover and it would have got us a second treble, doing it once is fab but I'd be dying to do it again. Single greatest achievement in English football history. Twice.

Porto - still find it hard to forgive mourinho and his team of cheats and that corrupt linesman/ref combo. Felt like they'd been bribed by the new russian boys in town who seemed hell bent on disrupting us and usurping our position.

West Ham - the season we lost the league, but also when we failed to relegate them. £#%&!s sake.

Arsenal Cup final, Ruud put in the worst shift I've ever seen from a Utd player, I was ready to sell him that summer. We were playing with 10 men and killed them.

Chelsea final where they robbed us again.

Unread 28-02-2009, 04:13 PM
red @rmy

Leverkusen
Monaco
We should of surpassed he dippers by now.

Arsenal 05 cup final, the most one sided cup final ever.

Unread 28-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
Portsmouth last year, we dominated and they robbed us. Most angry cos the final would have been a walkover and it would have got us a second treble, doing it once is fab but I'd be dying to do it again. Single greatest achievement in English football history. Twice.
So you think the rest of the season would have panned out exactly the same if we'd won that?

Unread 28-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy

Porto - still find it hard to forgive mourinho and his team of cheats and that corrupt linesman/ref combo. Felt like they'd been bribed by the new russian boys in town who seemed hell bent on disrupting us and usurping our position.

West Ham - the season we lost the league, but also when we failed to relegate them. £#%&!s sake.

Arsenal Cup final, Ruud put in the worst shift I've ever seen from a Utd player, I was ready to sell him that summer. We were playing with 10 men and killed them.

Chelsea final where they robbed us again.
It's that sort of Mourinho inspired, cynical cheating that makes me more angry than probably anything else in the game. I £#%&!ing hate it. A prime example was on Tuesday when Berbatov was quite clearly being rugby tackled by the Inter defender in the penalty area. It could so easily have been Terry or Carvalho - the latter has made an art form out of off the ball cynical fouls. Mourinho is no doubt a very good manager and one shrewd man - but I don't think there's been a luckier manager in the last 10 years.

Even when I see that foul by Koeman on David Platt it makes me £#%&!ing livid. Just the sheer, blatant £#%&!ing cheating of it, but what makes it infinitely worse was the fact Koeman didn't even get sent off. Taylor did his £#%&!ing nut on the touchline and was quite restrained imho.
Closed Thread