United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Gazw649

Default How does Giggs compare to the all time greats

Just had an arguement with a mate when i said Giggs is up there, he said no chance. Look at his record:

Ryan Giggs has won 28 trophies to date. That can/will increase by the end of this season.

He has won further other accolades such as PFA young player of the year (92 & 93), player of the month (sept 93, aug 06, feb 07), Sir Matt Busby player of the year (97-98), English Football Hall of Fame (05)

He has been chosen in multiple PFA team of the year (93, 94, 95, 96, 98, 01, 07), PFA team of the century, and has broken 7 different footballing records.

Only player to win 10 Premier League titles,
Only Man Utd player to play in both League Cup winning sides,
Only player to score in 12 consecutive Champions League campains,
Only player to score in 13 different Champions League campains,
Only player to score in every single Premier League campain since it began,
Most goal assists in Premier League history 289,
All Time appearance record for Man Utd...

And i'd argue hes up there with the greats

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Chorlton74

Default Re: How does Giggs compare to the all time greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazw649
Just had an arguement with a mate when i said Giggs is up there, he said no chance. Look at his record:

Ryan Giggs has won 28 trophies to date. That can/will increase by the end of this season.

He has won further other accolades such as PFA young player of the year (92 & 93), player of the month (sept 93, aug 06, feb 07), Sir Matt Busby player of the year (97-98), English Football Hall of Fame (05)

He has been chosen in multiple PFA team of the year (93, 94, 95, 96, 98, 01, 07), PFA team of the century, and has broken 7 different footballing records.

your mate sounds like a div.

Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazw649

Hasn't he won 11 league titles...? Isnt he also the most decorated british footballer of all time?

He's one of the greats - anyone who disagrees is a #@&%!. Fact.

wiganste

There is no argument. He's one of the all time greats.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Gazw649

Thats what i thought. Love Giggsy me.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:13 PM
borsuk

he could have won £#%&! all and he'd still be one of the greats. anyone who appreciates football at any level can see that giggs is a truly special player.

your mate sounds like a right #@&%! tbph.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:18 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Even forgetting he's the current PFA player of the year and he's still up there.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Grimson

I think the only distinction I'd make between him and the likes of Best, Cruyff, Pele, Maradona etc, is that they were always the best player in their own team, and just as often on the pitch. Not sure Giggs quite fulfils that arbitrary criterion.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Sloane

probably wont be recognised world wide as much as he never had the chance display it on the international stage

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Smeggs

the media have thier own rules on this kind of shit and the fact he didn't play in a world cup marks his card down just like for best.

he's an all time great for me.

i'm too young for the united greats so i don't feel i'm qualified to talk, but it's only giggsy up there with eric and scholesly as my favourite ever united player.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:26 PM
naes_sean

get better mates.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Albert Tatlock

Giggs >> Anyone else

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:45 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed

He's one of the greats - anyone who disagrees is a #@&%!. Fact.
Without a doubt Fact, he's a legend, in the modern game his longevity and consistency especially in the position he has played most of his career defies belief, is it any wonder that there have been spells where he has lost some form, some of us £#%&!ers don't realise how lucky we have been to have had players like him and scholes for so long.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Switching Off

Named my son after him. Legendary.

Unread 17-09-2009, 05:52 PM
MJ Ramone

I think Giggsy is the greatest United player to ever pull on the shirt.
The most graceful, balanced dribbler I have ever seen.
He's won EVERYTHING ..over & OVER again!
£#%&!ing amazing player. Far & away the finest player of the 'Premier League' era.
An absolute star 'off the pitch' as well....comes across brilliantly in interviews - regardless of the result (met him a few years back too. Really nice guy)

When he's on form he's still a joy to watch.

Unread 17-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Tiberian

I have probably made more posts about him than any other player. My favourite player of all time, matched exhilarating pace with elegance and grace on the ball, as I have said before the most aesthetically pleasing player I have had the pleasure to watch.

You could make arguments that in a purely individual performance sense he underachieved, did not score the goals he should have, and allowed other players to be the dominant force when he IMO, was the most gifted Player Utd have had in my lifetime and that includes, Cantona, Ronaldo and Scholes. He was expected at 19 to get to the level in the world game of Best, Cruyff, and latterly Ronaldo for Utd, World player of the year level, did not happen, but despite this he has been for 15 years one of the best attacking players in Europe.

It is hard for me to be unbiased when it comes to Giggs, no other player has captured my imagination like he has, the memories I take of will not necessarily be of specific goals or moments, just that image of him gliding across the ground, the hum in the crowd when he gets the ball and the fear in the opposition as he approached, he encapsulates what a Utd is about for me.

Unread 17-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Spiffy

I#ve enjoyed watching Eric and Rooney more but you'd have to put Giggs at the top of list for United players. Even better than Best, Edwards etc. He's been at the centre of our most successful period.

How many wingers have performed at the highest level for as long as he has? Overmars lasted what, 2 years? No one comes close to Giggs imho.

11 Premiership titles
2 EC's.

Can't fault that record.

Unread 17-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Dueling Banjos

Thumbs up Re: How does Giggs compare to the all time greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Great name for a kid. Probably get a nickname like "The Ledge" at school sometime.

Unread 17-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I have probably made more posts about him than any other player. My favourite player of all time, matched exhilarating pace with elegance and grace on the ball, as I have said before the most aesthetically pleasing player I have had the pleasure to watch.

You could make arguments that in a purely individual performance sense he underachieved, did not score the goals he should have, and allowed other players to be the dominant force when he IMO, was the most gifted Player Utd have had in my lifetime and that includes, Cantona, Ronaldo and Scholes. He was expected at 19 to get to the level in the world game of Best, Cruyff, and latterly Ronaldo for Utd, World player of the year level, did not happen, but despite this he has been for 15 years one of the best attacking players in Europe.

It is hard for me to be unbiased when it comes to Giggs, no other player has captured my imagination like he has, the memories I take of will not necessarily be of specific goals or moments, just that image of him gliding across the ground, the hum in the crowd when he gets the ball and the fear in the opposition as he approached, he encapsulates what a Utd is about for me.

YouTube - That Legend Giggsy By Johan (Part 1)
Great post and I echo every word. He'll only be missed by some when he's gone.

Unread 17-09-2009, 06:40 PM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
So will I next month, if we have a boy that is
Closed Thread