United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Jez Quigley

The Fred Tissue Book Club

Righty ho forumistas - summer is here, the season kick off seems aaaaages away, all the DVD series worth watching have either been watched (24, Torchwood, Boston Legal etc.) or new series are still to come (Spooks, House etc.).

As the weather will be good and we can't thrash ourselves into oblivion permanently over on the Real Girls thread - I suggest we exercise the old grey matter with some cool books.

Try and keep it to just a couple of books per post, explain what genre the book falls in and exactly why you think fellow forumistas should follow your advice. Also, try not to let it get tooooooooooo pretentious - I'm not saying it should be just Mr Man level (now there are some cool books) but something that will be accessible and interesting/enjoyable.

I win the toss, I'll serve first.......

Humour

Tucker Max - I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hope-They-Se...5681468&sr=1-1

Basically, just a collection of the most laugh out loud, totally ridiculous true stories of Tucker Max. a****** son of a wealthy US restaurant chain owner, his stories about drinking, sexual conquests and all round giddiness are absolutely brilliant. Have genuinely never laughed over a book like this. It's like Woody Creek and BIG3Y3s on a weekend bender in Prague - with Billy Liar and Marlo S thrown in and Denis Lawless photoshopping the lot - brilliant.

Fellow FT-ers - one will not be disappointed.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Bttt

for the afternoon fredsters - someone must have a 'must read' book to tip for this summer....

Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Everyone is too busy putting a donk on it Jez,

Tell you one that you will love though that was recommended to me by fellow forumista Throw.

Tietam Brown - written by an ex-wrestler. Great f***ed up black comedy read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tietam-Brown.../dp/0099450283

Old 10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
wee man

I have a large stockpile for the summer - mainly autobiographical thingys

A Long Walk To Freedom - Nelson Mandela
The Path To Power - Margaret Thatcher
The Downing Street Years - Margaret Thatcher
The Alastair Campbell Diaries
Ronnie - Ronnie Wood
Determined - Norman
Hope And History - Gerry Adams (borrowed)
Vincent Bugliosi - Helter Skelter
Mao : The Unknown Story - Jung Chang and Jon Halliday

and a novel

Orpheus Rising - Colin Bateman

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Scabs

Just started the Alan Clarke Diaries...

They come highly recommended.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Brenner

Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
dodger

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts. Semi autobiographical, rollicking yarn, reasonably well written, tons of it to wade through but easy to read. if you've ever been to India you'll love it even more.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
mark o

I'm still working my way through all of Stephen King's novels. Currently 3/4 the ay through The Tommyknockers.

I generally do not read biographies and stick to mainstream fiction.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Everyone is too busy putting a donk on it Jez,

Tell you one that you will love though that was recommended to me by fellow forumista Throw.

Tietam Brown - written by an ex-wrestler. Great f***ed up black comedy read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tietam-Brown.../dp/0099450283
Top man GF -that's the spirit. Need to find out what a donk is though.....

I really enjoyed Mick Foley's first book "Have a Nice Day" and found his writing style genuinely enjoyable and very funny. That's gettng ordered this afternoon.

Wee Man/Scabs - thanks for contributing too!

I have read the Mandela book - really impressive in many ways.

Would give the Alan Clarke/Alastair Campbell Diaries a go too - I have been quite light on modern political books recently and they do have good reps. Please let FT know if it gets the thumbs up!

One book from J K Quigley that sheds an interesting picture on current world events is this one

Peter Godwin - When A Crocodile Eats The Sun

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Crocodi...5700267&sr=1-1

One white Zimbabwe guy's true story - how Zimbabwe spirals into madness is amazing, along with a family revelation for the author that is an eye-opener.

Not going to have you rolling around the beach in laughter - but it is a remarkable story about love, political insanity and life. I'm utterly thrilled to have read it.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner

Brilliant book.

Im halfway through 'The Book Thief' by...er...someone. Its a cracking story backdropped by Nazi Germany. I thought it would be shite but its fantastic.