United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scousebasher
It wouldn't. When Evra pushes on Wes stays back and pushes inside so we play with 3 centre backs. Alves lacks the discipline & positional sense to make such a system work.

The reason it would is not because they cover for each other its the fact you have one out of a midfield 3 to drop in and cover for both to make a 3 at the back.

Hargreaves would be perfect.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:27 PM
S/Side.Red

He's clearly moving on this year.

If Alves goes to Barca, which I think is more likely, with Lahm signing a new deal and Boswingwa off to Chelsea, the options are fast running out.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:28 PM
borsuk

fantastic player. he could fit in very well down the right if we have hargreaves playing deep and maintaining his position.

would be a great buy but anything like 25m is taking the piss for a 25 year old defender. half that, tops. also have doubts about how well he would settle in england.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:31 PM
dunk

What is this Fred obsession with us signing a right back?

We have just won the League conceding the least goals and scoring the most, whilst progressing to the European Cup final undefeated, yet to believe what is written on here, we have done this despite having no right back.

Wes at right back works perfectly, balancing Evra's work on the left by being more defensive. He will only get better in this position.

Fergie has already said that G.Nev will be back on 1st team duty from next season, we have Hargreaves and O'Shea that can play there and a few good young 'uns for emergencies.

We are actually quite strong in that position.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
also have doubts about how well he would settle in england.
I think he'd be alright, actually. He's a good fit for English football. In fact, he has said himself in the past he gets a little frustrated at the whistle-happy refereeing in Spain and specifically mentioned that he preferred the more physical aspect of the Premiership.

He was seemingly very keen on Liverpool and Chelsea in the past, too. All that said, it's probably more likely he'd opt for Barca given the choice.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He's clearly moving on this year.

If Alves goes to Barca, which I think is more likely, with Lahm signing a new deal and Boswingwa off to Chelsea, the options are fast running out.
Glen Johnson.

Either way, I'd be happy with Alves, simply because he's an immense attacking outlet & the balance of the side with Evra on the other flank would get that much more room to manouvore as the oppo's midfield can't shuffle across to cover him as they do now with someone equally - if not more so - attacking down the right. No I can't be arsed punctuating that properly.

However, it would signify more of a 4-2-3-1 formation for me, Carrick / The Cougar / Anderson or Fletch in front of the back 4 with anyone of them capable of taking on the responsibility of covering the full back position(s). This isn't to say we'd overlook Scholes for next season but I can see him slowly yielding to father time & doing a Giggs from the bench.

If our Summer spending was Alves & Berbatov I'd frap myself silly.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:41 PM
dodger

CLERC

We do need a right back andJohnson is w*** btw nft.com

Old 20-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
We do need a right back andJohnson is w*** btw nft.com
is not.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Glen Johnson.

Either way, I'd be happy with Alves, simply because he's an immense attacking outlet & the balance of the side with Evra on the other flank would get that much more room to manouvore as the oppo's midfield can't shuffle across to cover him as they do now with someone equally - if not more so - attacking down the right. No I can't be arsed punctuating that properly.

However, it would signify more of a 4-2-3-1 formation for me, Carrick / The Cougar / Anderson or Fletch in front of the back 4 with anyone of them capable of taking on the responsibility of covering the full back position(s). This isn't to say we'd overlook Scholes for next season but I can see him slowly yielding to father time & doing a Giggs from the bench.

If our Summer spending was Alves & Berbatov I'd frap myself silly.
I like Johnson, although he's still not great defensively and his attacking play, while good, is not excpetional. I certainly think he's a major stepdown on someone like Alves and the improvement he'd provide on someone like Brown wouldn't be significant enough to make it worthwhile, for me.

Old 20-05-2008, 01:44 PM
ScarFace

lahms signed a new deal?
Closed Thread