United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 31-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs (2) #5 - Tumescent Throb

Good evening one and all and welcome to tonight's show.

Our guest this evening is Tumescent Throb who will be sharing his 8 most memorable tracks, his favourite book and the luxury item he wants to take with him to Tissue Island.

Without further ado then, let's go to work.....

1. Bobby Thurston - Check Out The Groove

2. The Smiths - You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby

3. Neil Young - Unknown Legend

4. The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

5. A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray

6. Iggy Pop - passenger

7. Tracy Chapman - Baby Can I Hold You Tonight

8. Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

Greetings TT and welcome to the studio.

Let's start at the beginning then, it's always the best place as far as far as I'm concerned!

Your first choice is Bobby Thurston's funky groove from 1980, "Check Out The Groove" - fill us in on why it makes your list....

Old 31-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Tumescent Throb

Evening Brenner, we finally get it on then!!

Bobby Thurston's track is a funky sensation, if it doesn't make you want to dance nothing will.

Probably as good a dance record as you could wish for and it just fills me with joy right from the intro.

The track mostly reminds me of a few old mates who we used to get on the CB with back in the very early 80s. Couple of really fit birds there were amongst them, and me sister's boyfriend started taking us up The Studio in Crewe, full of men wearing jump suits dancing with women wearing same - bit confusing really but they werre great times.

Driving on a sunny day I whack this track on and life is great

Old 31-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Brenner

CB's - f***in 'ell that was deffo an 80's thing!

I agree it is a feel good song tbf.

Your 2nd selection is world's apart from Bobby, it's the previously scrapped single by The Smiths from 1987, "You Just Haven't earned It Yet baby".

What are your memories when this comes on...?

Old 31-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Memories are totally mixed up really, probably cus I was as well! No-one should be in a long term relationship in their late teens early 20s based on my shambles at that time.

I remember f***ing off on an 18-30s to Mallorca with me mate and meeting up with some lads from the East End and having a riot for two weeks.

But I was blagging it really. Birds can pull you in ways more powerful than even Pirate Night in Magaluf

Love the lyrics to the song, nothing much else to say. It takes me back, but then *I could hear probably a dozen other tunes that take me back to exactly the same point - Bon Jovi Cashflow Lady Cab Driver Sweet Sweet Pie

It's a good tune as well so maybe that's why I remember it. Plus I only had one C-90 cassette for the whole fortnight!

Old 31-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Brenner

I think you picked the right track from the shortlist it could have been

Neil Young's "Unknown Legend" is your next choice from 1992 from the Harvest Moon LP which brought him back to acoustic basics.

Interesting fact: did you know he was recovering from tinnitus at the time he recorded this album?

Old 31-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I think you picked the right track from the shortlist it could have been

Neil Young's "Unknown Legend" is your next choice from 1992 from the Harvest Moon LP which brought him back to acoustic basics.

Interesting fact: did you know he was recovering from tinnitus at the time he recorded this album?
No I never knew that Brenner. Bloody hell.....

This track is just stunning to sing at the top of your voice.

That's pure and simple why I chose it. I'd recommend everyone try it and I challenge you not to feel good afterwards

Old 31-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Brenner

I like that - short and to the point in a kind of no further text type vibe....

Your 4th choice is the magnificent Buggles track "Video Killed The Radio Star" from 1979 (one of the first records I bought for myself)

The first and millionth video shown on MTV btw.....

Old 31-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Aha the stand out track of my 8

What can I say - school discos, stink-finger behind the village hall, people wearing drainpipe bottomed baggy topped side pocketed idiot trousers and loving Blancmange, TFF and all that

And me getting home and sticking this on over and over again!

I've still got the 7" as well and I still play it regular.

A good mate of mine loves nothing better than to go into a bar, hunt this track down on the juke box, stick it on repeat with all his spare change and then see who's first to switch it off. We've had some cracking wind ups and a few heroes as well !

It's a great pop record, though it nearly missed out btw to New England (Kirsty MaColl as you know) - I love the moodiness of her singing in that track.

Old 31-01-2008, 07:54 PM
waynes ear's

brenners laptop has just f***ed up on him

posting his apologies

Old 31-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Jack Duckworth

this series of TIDs has been a disaster.

i doubt a third series will be getting commissioned.
Closed Thread