United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2008, 08:01 PM
sweetleftfoot

Like a lot of lads who've done this, I cant separate any early United memories from me Dad. Hes had a ST in C stand longer than Bobby Charlton (only hed never dream of making profit off a red) and was dragging me along as soon as he could put me in the Stretford End Paddock on my own.

First game was around 79, but first one I really remember was the 4-1 battering of Spurs around that time. Andy Richie got a hat trick, and Ossie Ardiles scored a free kick for them. Vague memories, but great nonetheless. My Dad used to pull us up from the Paddock into the seats, and I remember blokes helping me up and that, even stewards. Cant imagine that would get past them nazi twats today.

I then progressed, as many, onto the LMTB in K stand, then onto a season ticket by my Dad in C. Id love to be uber and say that I packed it in because of Glazer, but I gave my book to our kid in 2002 when, with 2 kids, I couldnt afford it any more

Still get to the odd game, when I can blag freebies for aways through work, or when my old man or brother cant go. Miss it like f***, but cant afford the prices, and dont agree with the corporate whoring that goes on in the name of our wonderful, historic Club (see AIG/Babes pic).

Thought FC was a sound enough idea, but tried once and thought it was like kissing your sister. Made up for them who find a buzz from that, but to me it just didnt feel right.

My best memories; Rotterdam at 19 was great, (Hughesey was my hero as a kid - still love the angry f***er now); and the Nou Camp apart, for me it didn't get any better than Eric at Wembley. It still makes me nervous when I see it, one of the greatest days of my life. We should all be greatful to have grown up watching 3 of the best United teams of all time (94, 99 and now).

Old 24-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Brenner

I like your appraisal of the times and how they have changed...

Sorry to hear you don't get there as much as you'd like nowadays

Ray Wilkins scored the other goal v Spurs in April 1979

Back to the tracks then and selection 5 is Led Zep's "Black Dog" from the imaginatively titled Led Zeppelin IV LP.....

Last edited by Brenner; 24-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Old 24-01-2008, 08:16 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
your sister.
link?

Old 24-01-2008, 08:18 PM
sweetleftfoot

Yes. They pushed the boundaries with that title. Classic album though, with possibly the greatest opening track on any album ever. Didn't really get this until my mid 20's, again the lad who sorted me the Tom Waits tape was into Zep, Deep Purple, Grateful Dead etc and it all sort of rubbed off.

The Zep IV album and Machine Head were big albums on the work stereo. It opened me up a bit to stuff Id always thought of as sloppy and pompous. Proper Saturday night drinking and dancing music

Old 24-01-2008, 08:20 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
link?

On the left.

Old 24-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Brenner

Track 6 is by a band I am very close to The Inspiral Carpets and their 1989 offering - Move

What memories does this tune evoke Sweet...?

Old 24-01-2008, 08:31 PM
sweetleftfoot

One of the last true great singles bands. It came out as I was leaving school and reminds me of getting two buses to work when I was serving my time, listening to mix tapes on a green Bush 'walkman' and not being sure if the intro was like that because i) the tape was f***ed, ii) the batteries were going or iii) it was supposed to

I was 16 when this was out and spending more on records than I was earning. I really liked the Roses, (and less so the Mondays) but for me the Inspiral Carpets were the great underated band of that era. Saw them live the week that Life came out, and they were great. That run of singles Joe/Find Out Why/Move/This is how it feels was superb. Some belters later in their career too, Saturn 5, Dragging Me Down etc. Still great live btw.

Old 24-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Brenner

I'm biased because I lived opposite Graham Lambert and we've been mates since 1977.

They used to practice in his garage when they first started out, when Steve Holt was on vocals - we used to sit and watch/listen.

A very underrated band and every single one of them to a man is spot on and down to Earth.

Glad they finally got a selection on TID's

Your penultimate track Sweet, is American jazz musician, Miles Davis, widely considered to be one of the most influential of the 20th century.

You chose the track "Blue In Green".....

Old 24-01-2008, 08:43 PM
sweetleftfoot

I've got the Dung4 tape by the Inspirals, is that the one with Steve Holt on? Did the version of Joe on the Manchester North of England LP?

As for Miles Davis, again, Ive picked a song but its really the whole album. Anybody subscribing to the whole jazz is musical w*****g thing should sit and listen to this sublime record. Quite a sentimental album (piece?) for me, kind of reminds me of Sunday mornings when I stayed at my Grandads. Reading the News Of The World, eating bacon, egg and cheese dip with jazz on in the back room. I picked up an Aphex Twin track that I really like that was recommended on here as a great chilling out tune (Ageispolis), and I would recommend this record back to anyone who likes that. There both VERY different, but do the same job.

Old 24-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Jack Duckworth

has brenner done a koppas?
Closed Thread