United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
The 85 Cup Final was brilliant it has to be said - better than any wedding day!

Did you venture up north to OT at all, or did you do all the games daaaarn saaaaarf mostly?
of course I ventured up north.

what vile person put about the idea that I'd never been to old trafford? ;0)

Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Brenner

You still manage to get to any games or has life in The City and family curtailed your attendance....

Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
jem

Quote:
Eagle House?
yeah, that's right - I was f***ed out of my skull at prep school.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
jem

Quote:
You still manage to get to any games or has life in The City and family curtailed your attendance....
I haven't been to old trafford since mr glazer bought the club.

although not entirely because of that. I did tell mrs jem I wouldn't go whilst he owned united. but no one else cares. I just can't really justify a whole day away from the little misses jem when I commute to work every day and barely see them. and mrs jem would kick off if she didn't get any help at the week-ends. as soon as the little misses are a bit older, I'll be taking them, you can be sure.

little miss jem (min), 5, is begging me to take her now. I don't think she can sit still that long.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yeah, that's right - I was f***ed out of my skull at prep school.
That'll be the initiation by "the big boys" then - my eyes are watering for you here...

Back to your selections then Jem and a lovely little song by French singer/actress/astrologer Francoise Hardy - "Ton Meilleur Ami"

Tell us what the translation is and why she makes your list....

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
jem

Default you want a translation

of the whole song?

bloody hell. it's about your best friend. ringing me up every night. telling me he loves me and his life means nothing if I can't be with him. I suggest babelfish. :0)

5. ton meilleur ami – françoise hardy

this reminds me of a summer between school and uni rebuilding a french village with a bunch of french types, stone by f***ing stone. at the end of a sweaty day, those little french girls loved to strip off for a dip in the river.

françoise hardy once did a duet with iggy pop, you know. this is what 60s/70s miniskirted french poppiness was all about. no, really. think bardot in cannes or jane fonda in barbarella. wah-wah-wee-wah. I have a book of beat poetry in one hand and a cigarette in the other. will you jump onto my scooter and come for a ride? you should. it’s just a shame it was the 80s. and they only had about one tape at the camp. still, it could have been worse. a lot worse. but just imagine being sandwiched between françoise and france gall of 1966 vintage. er... the year I was born. yikes. still, french girls, eh?

I like the song too. it seems at first like it’s going to be confession of infidelity, but it all turns out ok in the end… just as you think that relationship truck will never see the sudden curve til it’s way too late, it corners like it’s on rails. I think I’m going to cry.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
jem

Default nous tous

that's another cracker.

imagine those rabbity teeth scraping down your little fella.

look away, girls, look away.

Last edited by jem; 10-01-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Brenner

It's a nice song that and she looks fit for her time...

She's 64 next Thursday btw

Selection number 6 is Young MC's "Bust A Move" from 1989's debut LP Stone Cold Rhymin'

The South Wimbledon rapper who was raised in Queens, NYC

Why is this track memorable for you....?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
jem

6. bust a move – young mc

this one reminds me of my time living in new york and l.a. during the first gulf war, sporting a “don’t shoot… I’m british” tee-shirt, hanging out with my moslem pals ali and zahid and being introduced to the joys of cnn and chuck jago running for his gas mask whilst some yank general laughed at him as it was an outgoing missile. manhattan cable wasn't all about robin bird. ahem. dressed in yellow, she said hello, come sit next to me you fine fellow.

the bank I was working for shared a penthouse suite on rodeo drive with a cosmetics company. it was hard to concentrate with models walking round all day. I used to have to make it in for around 10.30am on a good day, taking a little drophead to and from marina del rey / rodeo drive. then we’d be on the beach by 4pm. happy days. cruising around with the music on obnoxiously loud… now me would hate then me (and be jealous of his hair at the same time).

zahid and I had been rewarded for being the laziest (smartest) students on our management training programme in new york by being sent to the l.a. office for a stint…. possibly the laziest office in the network. our first job was producing a brochure on the local shops and restaurants for clients visiting the bank, which basically involved sitting next to dustin hoffman in prego and getting paid for it. we wasted several weeks trying on suits we didn’t want before feeling guilty enough to turn in our work. turns out the guys sent to the office the year before had been given the same job and spent a couple of months doing it before handing in a couple of sides of scribbled notes. our general manager beamed like a father at a wedding, but we felt such fools for “working so hard”.

the guys I worked with on the know-your-client programme were sent to prison for money-laundering offences for 5 and 10 years shortly after I left – apparently, they didn’t really go and visit those motor dealerships in mexico or they’d have discover they didn’t exist. oh, well.

in new york, I used to go into cd street in the wfc every lunchtime – it was owned by two eastern european brothers (siblings, not pimps) who would play new and obscure stuff (ie – hick americana) for me whilst we talked about football. one of their bastard goalkeeper friends shattered my ankle whilst I was rounding him (yes, we were playing football).

rodney king. the l.a. riots. the gulf war. fun, fun, fun.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Brenner

That's f***in quality

Sounds like we could have a TID's special on that period of your life alone!

As it is, time is marching on, so we come to your penultimate choice, the song that Radio 1 famously banned from their playlist after 2 airings because it was "too depressing" - Radiohead's "Creep" (from the Pablo Honey album)

Reasons please Jemster....
Closed Thread