United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
jem

3. suffragette city - bowie

an aunt and uncle with taste used to send me tapes for xmas of whatever they were listening to at the time (and at a time when my mother was getting me slade and gary glitter! and green corduroy suits, but let’s not get into that). this reminds me of hanging out at their house with the test match on all day. I couldn’t sit through ball-by-ball and stay awake (cue joke about geoff boycott curry), but it did give me time to root through their record collection. they took me to the oval once for an ashes game. we beat the aussies and I patted bob willis on the back (my first pitch invasion). my only recollection is of being very, very bored - not like, say, getting drunk watching the aussies skittled out for just over 100 at the scg. but even that was not as exciting as the time they burned my sister’s hair by sitting her in front of a fire and my mother wondered why she’d come back with a really short, spiky cut. the man who sold the world, aladdin sane, ziggy, hunky dory… I can’t really thank them enough. trying to kill my sister was just a bonus.

of course, now I realise that taping one of your own records for someone and pretending that’s a christmas present is just f***ing cheap.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Brenner

Default Hope Your Sister Has Recovered From The Trauma...

I like this track - trademark Bowie glam imo

Did you stick with Bowie through his various incarnations?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:33 PM
jem

Default up to a point

once we get to tonight I was getting a little tired.

but it's all ok-ish. trop, I'm sorry.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Brenner

Track 4 is an interesting choice - The Cure's "Fire In Cairo" from 1979, from their Three Imaginary Boys LP

What's the story behind this one....?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 PM
jem

4. fire in cairo – the cure

this reminds me of school – drunk parties, mostly. a "lost" night when I drank most of a bottle of pimms neat (don't do this at home*), a friend of a friend who always tried really hard to look like robert smith, with big hair and lippy, but ended up looking like tina turner. happy days when doc martens were banned from school because they had "a punky, booty look", but they couldn’t steal our anti-nowhere league, pistols, damned, etc (although it was occasionally suggested that having “so f***ing what?” blasted out over the quad was perhaps not the image the school wished to reflect). much time spent trying to score with my mate’s sister’s mates. well, more waiting for them to come to me, actually. with very little success. apparently, I'm "unapproachable". better to have a formal introduction... like, say, to the babysitter.

* usually, when people remind you about the stupid things you did when drunk, you get the odd embarrassing flashback and then it all comes back. not in this case. a good 8 hours totally lost. apparently, I was quite active. after that, I promised myself that I would never ever get that drunk again. since then, I’ve made that same promise repeatedly over a bowl of yellow bile at times when I’ve wished I were dead. most recently after the rugby world cup final. I will never, ever get that drunk again. no, really. mrs jem was not happy with my redecoration of the bathroom. still, the guy I was out with couldn’t even find his house. mrs jem suggested that he was in a “better” state.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Brenner

f***in Pimms???!!!

What school did you go to - f***in Eaton?!

In my day it was Kestrel Lager or Carlsberg Super.....

A brief interlude from the tracks now Jem, it's time to tell the lads about your earliest memories of supporting the Reds....

Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
f***in Pimms???!!!

What school did you go to - f***in Eaton?!

In my day it was Kestrel Lager or Carlsberg Super.....

A brief interlude from the tracks now Jem, it's time to tell the lads about your earliest memories of supporting the Reds....
it's eton.

and no.

I went to a good school. :0)

my earliest united-related memories are of being indoctrinated by my uncle during long summers spent at my grandparents' in ireland. george best this, george best that. I used to watch his programme on a saturday morning and then we'd be out playing. first game I can remember was match of the day in black and white, playing boro in the early 70s and losing. I remember being slightly mystified when the greatest team in the world got relegated soon after. I was about 10 when I went to my first live game, at highbury (yes, abaf would have guessed that). but I used to play and I was at school on saturdays anyway... I didn't really start going regularly until the 80s. whilst I loved the likes of buchan and coppell, my real heroes were robson, mcgrath, hughes and whiteside. still are. I mean... I love scholesy, but they were giants. they should have won the league a couple of times, but for injuries. the 85 cup final was the best day of my life. don't tell mrs jem.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM
jem

Default if you want a clue on the school

think nick drake.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Brenner

The 85 Cup Final was brilliant it has to be said - better than any wedding day!

Did you venture up north to OT at all, or did you do all the games daaaarn saaaaarf mostly?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
think nick drake.
Eagle House?
Closed Thread