United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:29 PM
no fun

elvis the handsome f***er....funnily enough the peg seller was watching his 68 comeback special last week and said she wanted to shag him

elephantstone......strange they named a song after a potato cruncher from burnage, but each to his own

your penultimate choice, a great song that reached no.7 in the charts, lucky man.........whats this song mean to you ?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Brenner

the peg seller has good taste, obviously...

Lucky Man makes the list for one simple reason – it was the song that was on the CD player in the delivery room when my missus gave birth to my son in 2002.

Our first child, and out pop’s a lad – get in there (or out there I should say ).

Mrs Brenner had been in labour for a good while and we’d been told to bring some CD’s in to the delivery room that might help her relax whilst she was in labour.

Urban Hymns had been an album we’d both liked and listened to a lot at the time, and I couldn’t believe that such an appropriate track from the album should be playing when my lad was born.

Lucky Man just sums up exactly how I felt at that very moment: looking at my wife and our newly born son – a family….

“Gotta love that’ll never die
Happiness
More or less
It’s just a change in me
Something in my liberty…”

Old 03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
no fun

f*** off brenner, i`m nearly crying here, lovely story

i`ve got 3 lads, one of the happiest days of my life the birth of the first

now your final song, which I had in my choices

thousands are sailing

you`re a bogtrotter aren`t you ?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Brenner

I'm listening to each song as we go through them and I must admit Lucky Man has brought a tear to the eye...

Yeah my roots are in Eire, but I was born in Crumpsall Hospital

My old fella was born in a little village just outside Tuam, Co. Galway and moved over here when he was 8 with his 2 brothers, when my Grandma & Grandad had got work over here and settled in Manchester.

My Grandad’s brothers went to America to start a new life.

This song is about the Irish migrants who left for the States to start a new life.

From the age of 9 months, my mam & dad used to take me over to Ireland every year, and I still go back there when I can, but not as often as I’d like sadly.

This track just reminds me of my Grandad, my childhood hero, giving his roots up like many others in the 50’s, to find work in the UK & the US to provide their families with a better way of life.

He used to tell me about his brothers who went to the States and this song reminds me of those chats…

“Thousands are sailing, across the western ocean
To a land of opportunity, that some of them will never see…”

Old 03-01-2008, 07:43 PM
no fun

superb song from a superb band

right onto your book choice (feel free to add a picture)

the UNITED OPUS

850 pages, weighing 37 kilos, you could use this as a f***ing raft.......

Old 03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
you`re a bogtrotter aren`t you ?
such a way with words

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Brenner

Default Indeed

ha ha - heavy f***in raft!

As I’d have a fair amount of time on my hand’s on Tissue Island, this book with over 800 pages as you say, and 2000 photo’s and 400,000 words about the reds would be my ideal read. I’d never tire of reading about the history and legends of Manchester United.

It’d also look nice on my bamboo & palm leaf coffee table btw…

Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM
no fun

............and you would never be short of w*****g material

finally, your luxury item...........

a fender acoustic guitar

you play a bit ?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:55 PM
The Real Roxanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
superb song from a superb band

right onto your book choice (feel free to add a picture)

the UNITED OPUS

850 pages, weighing 37 kilos, you could use this as a f***ing raft.......
I sense an ulterior motive...
Quote:
Opus sets new World Record

The Manchester United Opus made the headlines once again this month when an exclusive copy of the acclaimed history of the club was snapped up at a charity auction in Dubai.

A mystery bidder bought the Opus at the charity gala for a staggering £758,000, which is a new world record price for a sporting publication.

The Opus was signed by the Prime Minister of Dubai, HRH Sheikh Rashid bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, on a specially created signature page that had the family coat of arms on it. The number 777 - the Sheikh's favourite number, and viewed as extremely lucky in Arabic culture - was also sewn into the inside of the Opus.

“We were delighted to donate the Opus but I think it’s safe to say the final price exceeded everyone’s wildest expectations,” admitted Kraken CEO Karl Fowler.

“The signature page means it is a complete one-off that will never be replicated and it is a truly unique work. We hope the new owner enjoys the Opus.”

Originally published in November 2006, the Opus is 850 pages long and is strictly restricted to 9,500 copies worldwide. It features never-seen-before archive photographs, exclusive interviews with Old Trafford legends such as Sir Bobby Charlton and Eric Cantona and is written by the finest football journalists in the country, including Jim White, Hugh McIlvanney and James Lawton.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Brenner

Default Sadly, no...

My biggest regret in life was not learning to play the guitar when I was given the opportunity at junior school. I was too busy wanting to play football.

I think it’s a great gift to be able to play a musical instrument.

I treated myself to one from Johnny Roadhouse in 2001, with the intention of learning, but it’s still in the loft...
Closed Thread