United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Brenner

ha ha - she was pretty fit aswell his sister, Elaine

it was the highlight of the week obviously as we wre pretty much left to our own devices every Saturday

Never met Terry - if the rumour that he posts on here is true - if you're listening Terry, PM me your selections...

Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
you ever met terry hall ?
*awaits pure and stan thundering in*

Old 03-01-2008, 06:59 PM
no fun

thank you ears, it was a carrot I dangled - lets see

back to song 4, from the soul mining album, uncertain smile by the the

now I have met matt johnson and he is a c***, but he wrote some good stuff

why this track when he wrote jems like "heartland" ?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Brenner

My cousin got me into The The. He used to live in Steatham, and then West Norwood in South London, and I used to go down for long weekends from 1987 onwards whenever United were playing daaaarn saaaarf.

Id get on the National Express at Chorlton St Coach Station at about 5 bells on a Friday morning, and the f***in coach used to go through every provincial town in England before pulling in at Victoria Coach Station about 10 hours or so later

Our Dom had discovered the Soul Mining album, and he was giving it a blast the weekend I went down to stay for the 85 Cup Final v Everton.

When this track came on, it just really struck a chord with me.

Matt Johnson is a genius in the true sense of the word and the Jools Holland piano solo half way through the track is quality.

I could have chosen numerous tracks from the Burning Blue Soul, Infected or Mind Bomb albums, but I settled for this one because of the memories of my visits daaarn Saaarf!

I've never met Johnson, but I'm disturbed that on meeting him you thought he was a right James Hunt - why so?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 PM
no fun

he was with a lad who grew up on our estate who had made it big in the music business - sound bloke, kept in touch with all the lads - anyway, one saturday he brought matt johnson into the pub, and even though only 2 of us knew who he was he gave it the big "I am" and was generally dismissive of lads who were plumbers, builders, office workers etc

if he hadn`t have been with who he was with he would have got twatted

anyway, enough of that

it might be no coincidence that the last 2 artists (hall/johnson) are both reds

tell me, what was your first game, and what has been your greatest ever experience following the red shirted heroes ?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Brenner

I'm sorry to hear he was like he was - gifted f***er though...

Been going watching the reds since I was aged 8 in the 1978/79 season v Chelski. We drew 1-1, and it was the last game of that particular season. Steve Coppell scored.

From 1981, aged 11, I was going regularly in K Stand. The manager of my Sunday League team had a season ticket with his dad, but that year his old fella suffered some ill-health, so he started taking me with him. He used to take me to some aways aswell.

In 1982/83 I was lucky enough to sign schoolboy forms for United, so we got 2 tickets per game in either A or B stand. I used to let my dad and his mate have them so they could sit with all the stiffs, and me and my mate used to go in the United Road.

Players like Robbo, McGrath, Sparky, Big Norm, Remi Moses, Arnold Muhren and Jesper Olsen I used to love watching during the 80s.

I got released from United in March/April 1987 just 4 or 5 months after Fergie came.

From this point on I went to home and away games without fail for about 3 years, before I started playing semi-pro, and I missed most Saturday games.

Got a season ticket in 1991 in K Stand and after I finished playing in 2000 through injury Ive been able to go every week, with only about half a dozen aways a season nowadays since the two kids came along.

Too many highlights to go into tbh...

Last edited by Brenner; 03-01-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:14 PM
no fun

f***ing hell, can I have your autograph ?

well your not getting away with this revalation without a few probing questions

1. did you ever see sunbed shagging that bird from the souvenier shop ?

2. did big ron really have a sunbed in his office ?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Brenner

ha ha she was one of many - Clayt The Rapist was shagging every female member of staff on United's payroll. FACT.

It's true - Big Ron did have one for his own private use in the office at The Cliff. He could never get Sunbed and Mick Brown off it though...

Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
no fun

i`m sure our audience will expand on that theme

anyway, lets move on to your next 2 songs

elephant stone by the roses

and american trilogy by elvis presley

one makes me think of the hacienda, the other Batley Variety Club

whats going on there ?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Brenner

Elephantstone:
This track wasnt on the UK debut album which was released in March 89, (it was on the US release though).

It had been released as a single in the October of 88, which Id bought from Piccadilly Records in town on the strength of it actually being on in the shop when I was in there doing a bit of sifting.

The lyrics dont make any sense whatsoever, but the guitars and the trippy melody just got me hooked.

I was lucky enough to be at the Haienda gig in Feb 1989, I was 18 at the time, and they played this as part of the set list and its clichd and trite as f***, but you genuinely did get the sense that night that you were witnessing something really special unfolding.

My reason for choosing the track is that the song just seems to encapsulate my upbeat, happy go lucky frame of mind at that time of my young life...

An American Trilogy:
My favourite track by The King.

Three songs rolled into one (hence the title) and what a f***in spine-tingling song it is.

I didnt get the whole Elvis thing until I was about mid to late 20s, I just used to take the piss out of my mam & dad whenever they used to talk about him.

Then I heard this track and I wanted to learn more about his music, and Ive been a fan ever since.

His performance of this song in the early 70s in the Aloha From Hawaii tour is class. White jump suit, big white belt, blinged-up, jet black pork chop sideburns and hair - proper handsome f***er, just before the beginning of the end

Its my karaoke song of choice when Im pissed btw
Closed Thread