United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
no fun

Default ***tissue Island Discs New Year Special....brenner****

Right, its here at last….

Tissue island discs special , with Brenner in the guest chair

Apologies for the delay blah blah blah, heres his 8 songs

Voodoo ray – a guy called Gerald
Sympathy for the devil – rolling stones
Nite klub – the specials
Uncertain smile - the the
Elephantstone – the stone roses
An American trilogy – elvis presley
Lucky man - the verve
Thousands are sailing – the pogues

Good evening Brenner, and lets start with your first song, voodoo ray

Were you one of those druggie twats who shouted “aceeeeeed” at that disco on whitworth st ?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Good evening gentlemen - feels weird being on the other side of the TID's studio

Aceeeeeeeed!

I first heard this track one Friday night in The Haçienda in 1988 as I walked through the iconic plastic strips that lead to the dance-floor. The simple, distinctive bass line beat reverberated around the club and the mesmerising hypnotic vocals just blew me away – a proper “hairs standing on the back of my neck” moment…

Next day I bought it from Eastern Bloc on Oldham St – a 12” single on Rham! Records, white label, with about four different mixes of it on. I played it to death for months after!

The reason it’s on my list is because it reminds me of some of the greatest night’s of my life in town, and especially The Haç, as I was going there 3 or 4 night’s a week from 1987 onwards….

Last edited by Brenner; 09-01-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

Good work brenner. I knew you'd do the track more justice than I could!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
no fun

I heard it as background music on one of my kids ps2 games, must be making him a fortune - not bad for a moss side lad

I will come back to your hac days later

your second choice - f***ing brilliant - track one side one of beggars banquet, the superb sympathy for the devil

what does this mean to you brenner ?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Brenner

Default Cheers

My dad was (and still is) a big Stones fan, so I must have heard this track many times growing up as a kid in the 70’s when he used to whack his vinyl on the stereo after he’d been for a few beers.

The first time I heard it after that was one night in Isadora’s/The Hang Out, an indie club below the Corn Exchange in town in the late 80’s. I remember climbing up onto the sound system speakers and just losing myself in the track.

The unmistakable intro of bongo’s and maracas and Jagger’s opening lines; “Please allow me to introduce myself, I’m a man of wealth and taste..”, then the “Woo-Woo’s” kick in as the track gathers momentum…

My favourite Stones tune....

Old 03-01-2008, 05:41 PM
no fun

superb description

lets pause for a minute - your old fella a bit of a stones fan, did he ever take you to see them live ?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Brenner

No - he saw them at Belle Vue sometime back in the 60's/70's the lucky bastard.

I saw them at the Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield on their Voodoo Lounge Tour (I think it was) during the 90's

He took my mum to see them at The Millenium Stadium in Cardiff last year and buzzed off it. He bought my little lad a Stones T-Shirt from the gig

Old 03-01-2008, 05:48 PM
no fun

tremendous, sounds a top bloke

now your next choice had me giggling stright away

I remember nite klub when it first came out, and we always reckoned terry hall must have wrote it about a club called the cellar vie in chinatown ;

"I cant dance
in a club like this
all the girls are slags
and the beer tastes just like piss"

where does it fit in your musical history ?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Brenner

I used to knock about with lads on our estate who were about 5 or 6 years older than me, so musically, my tastes were pretty varied when I was coming towards my teenage year’s (1982-83)

Three or four of us used to go to our mate Kev’s house every Saturday night when his mam & dad went out for a meal and a few drinks.

He had a top record collection and he’d stick the vinyl on and we’d pretend to be The Sex Pistols, The Specials and Adam & The Ants amongst many others!

He had a drum kit and a couple of guitars and a mic stand, so we’d pretend to be the band

This track just reminds me of a real period of musical awakening and some mad night’s at his gaff - caning his dad’s drinks cabinet, making home brew (which we christened Rascal Lager), and looking at his older sister’s copies of The Joy’s of Sex magazine that she hid under her bed

As you've already stated - the track contains the priceless line:
“I won’t dance in a place like this, all the girls are slags and the beer tastes just like piss…”

We nicknamed Saturday night’s at Kev’s “The Nite Klub” after this very song

Old 03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
no fun

older sister.............link

sounds a great way to spend a saturday night as a kid

you ever met terry hall ?
Closed Thread