United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs (2) #1 - Mark Corrigan

It's back!

Welcome back TIDdy fans to the 2nd series of Tissue Island Discs.

For those of you who don't know, each week a guest takes us through their 8 most memorable tracks, favourite book and luxury item they would take with them, whilst marooned on Tissue Island. (If you want a go - just PM me your selections)

Anyway, let's not wallow in all that sentimental shite - series 1 is history - time for the next chapter, (and I got home late from work), so let's get down to business.

My first guest on this series is Mark Corrigan, who has shown his tremendous commitment to the cause despite moving house and not being online at his new gaff.....

Remember, please don't jump in with your comments until after the luxury item

Here are MC's most memorable 8 tracks:

1.Oasis - Some might say

2. Queen & David Bowie - Under pressure

3. Paul Simon - I know what i know

4. Guns n Roses - Civil War

5. Arctic Monkeys - I bet you look good on the dance floor

6. The Stone Roses - I wanna be adored

7. Tracy Chapman - Fast car

8. Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Welcome MC,

I see you helped yourself to beers and nibbles in the Green Room....

Let's kick off the new series with your first track, Mancunian legends Oasis, and their iconic track from the What's The Story....LP

Why does it make the list?

Last edited by Brenner; 06-12-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Mark Corrigan

Good evening Brenner and good evening Fredsters.

I was gonna make a big speach about it being a great honour to be the first guest on series 2 but as you have said there is no room for sentiment i shall just say thanks for inviting me.

Some might Say.

Basically it was the song that really got me into Oasis. I was never really that much into music untill Oasis came along. I just used to buy NOW 25 or whatever NOW it was at the time but this is the first track that really made me take notice of decent music.

I missed out on Definitley maybe cos of my rather gay childish tastes (we've all done it! Havent we ) but this track got me into Oasis and good music so I'm quite thankfull for it really

Old 06-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Brenner

Noel Gallagher described this song in an interview once as the "archetypal Oasis song" and said "the track defines the band and what they are about"

Sounds like it had a life changing impact on you in terms of your taste in music....

Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Noel Gallagher described this song in an interview once as the "archetypal Oasis song" and said "the track defines the band and what they are about"

Sounds like it had a life changing impact on you in terms of your taste in music....
Definitley, to this day they are still my favourite band, even though Liam cant sing properly anymore. I dont think they will ever reach the heights of there first 3 albums ( I love Be Here Now even though it gets a bit of a slating, ive never understood why to be honest) but they still churn out the odd belter.
It also put me on the Indie path not just Oasis but most of the Indie stuff is my kinda thing.

Classic Oasis from when Liam could sing.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IqC9MDDwh6Q

Old 06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Brenner

Glad you ended up on a different path to the NOW.. compilations!

Selection No 2 is Queen's 1981 callaboration (their first recorded one) with the mercurial David Bowie - Under Pressure - which was a UK No. 1

Tell us about why this evokes memories for you....

Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Glad you ended up on a different path to the NOW.. compilations!

Selection No 2 is Queen's 1981 callaboration (their first recorded one) with the mercurial David Bowie - Under Pressure - which was a UK No. 1

Tell us about why this evokes memories for you....
Just of growing up really. My uncle had a queen video of all there music videos when i was a kid (10 or 11ish i think i was) and when me and me brother used to go round to babysit our cousins, even though we werent exactly adults , we used to put it on and have a good sing song taking it in turns to be Freddie .(There was no gay sex though, just singing)

Queen are one of my fave bands of all time though but this song is the best of the lot in my opinion.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Interesting Fact For You

Did you know that Bowie actually came to the studio to sing backing vocals on a track called "Cool Cat", which he eventually f***ed off because he wasn't happy with the finished version?

Him and Mercury wrote Under Pressure in the studio that day....

Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Did you know that Bowie actually came to the studio to sing backing vocals on a track called "Cool Cat", which he eventually f***ed off because he wasn't happy with the finished version?

Him and Mercury wrote Under Pressure in the studio that day....
No i did not know that

Not bad for a days work. I'm sure cool cat would've been a bit erm shit

Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Brenner

Wink You Will Always Learn Something You Didn't Know On TID's My Friend

I'm glad there was no man-love going on with your kid despite your love of Mr Mercury

Track 3 is Paul Simon's 1986 offering I Know What I Know from the Graceland album

Like most tunes on the album, it has a fantastic South African influenced beat & rhythm - but why did this make the list instead of the likes of You Can Call Me Al or Graceland for example...?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
I'm glad there was no man-love going on with your kid despite your love of Mr Mercury

Track 3 is Paul Simon's 1986 offering I Know What I Know from the Graceland album

Like most tunes on the album, it has a fantastic South African influenced beat & rhythm - but why did this make the list instead the likes of You Can Call Me Al or Graceland for example...?
The whole album is just so different from what i would call my type of music and i couldve picked any track off the album cos i love the whole thing but i just wanted a less obvious choice from the ones you said to make me look all interesting . Seriously though this is one of my fave tracks off the album and it reminds me of a car journey to Blackpool as a youngster and singing along to the African fellas singing WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP. well we used to sing woop woop anyway

Happy days.
Great album
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4w3CBdLfGqw

Last edited by Mark Corrigan; 06-12-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Apparantley the africans are saying ooh ooh ooh
Closed Thread