He and Evra were our best players IMO

Old 28-08-2007, 10:10 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodMan
for the first time on Sunday, I have to say that he was bloody impressive

He and Evra were our best players IMO
Agreed, they were our two best players.

Attacking aside, I thought Wes did well too. Amidst all the none penalty award crap, no one has acknowledged how well he did to appear from his right back position to stop Berbatov scoring.

Old 28-08-2007, 10:11 AM
MUFC One Love

Hargreaves is a brilliant player and just what we needed to allow us to get a grip of the midfield in games. However, Scholes cannot do the "arrive late" roll anymore and Carrick seems to be having a confidence crisis and has gone back into his shell.

Old 28-08-2007, 10:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Agreed, they were our two best players.

Attacking aside, I thought Wes did well too. Amidst all the none penalty award crap, no one has acknowledged how well he did to appear from his right back position to stop Berbatov scoring.
That annoyed me, it was a fantastic piece of defending to be in the right place and do everything in his power to get in the way of it without using his arm. Even if it did (and I don't think it did) hit his arm,it wasn't for the lack of trying to get it out of the way.

Contrast this with Jenas sidefooting one away from 3 yards in front of the line and how much praise he got for that.

Old 28-08-2007, 10:33 AM
MUFC

Evra just reminds me of the little child that has had too many e-numbers at the party and just runs round at 100mph all of the time.

Old 28-08-2007, 10:36 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That annoyed me, it was a fantastic piece of defending to be in the right place and do everything in his power to get in the way of it without using his arm. Even if it did (and I don't think it did) hit his arm,it wasn't for the lack of trying to get it out of the way.

Contrast this with Jenas sidefooting one away from 3 yards in front of the line and how much praise he got for that.
Indeed. He did well to get his hand out of the way. He didn't go in there arms flailing otherwise it would've been a penalty, he did really well to get there and dive with his arms by his side. A great piece of last ditch defending that, if it was John Terry, we'd be talking about knighthoods rather than penalties.

Old 28-08-2007, 10:41 AM
antonin jablonsky

I always thought Hargo was gonna be a cracking signing and whati've seen so far has confirmed this to me. What we have to do though is, when everyone is fit, sort out the balance of the midfield. I think we should go to more of a 4-4-2ish system in most games due to Hargo's energy negating the need for an extra midfielder. In some big aways particularly in Europe, I'd switch this back to the 4-3-3ish system currently used.

Old 28-08-2007, 10:53 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I always thought Hargo was gonna be a cracking signing and whati've seen so far has confirmed this to me. What we have to do though is, when everyone is fit, sort out the balance of the midfield. I think we should go to more of a 4-4-2ish system in most games due to Hargo's energy negating the need for an extra midfielder. In some big aways particularly in Europe, I'd switch this back to the 4-3-3ish system currently used.
And would be included/sacrificed in these systems?

Old 28-08-2007, 10:56 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
And would be included/sacrificed in these systems?
At the moment, I'd probbly drop Carrick, he seems rather out of sorts. Not sure of how I'd organise the forwatrds to be honest, Nani is certainly making it hard for him to be ropped the way he's pl;aying

Old 28-08-2007, 11:04 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
At the moment, I'd probbly drop Carrick, he seems rather out of sorts. Not sure of how I'd organise the forwatrds to be honest, Nani is certainly making it hard for him to be ropped the way he's pl;aying
Carrick is a slight concern at the moment. We all know he's not the biggest of personalities but he needs to step up a little to hold his place and make an impact.

Towards the end of last year he was starting to become more pivotal and authoratative, but now he seems to have gone back into his shell a little and when Eagles was ready to come on against Spurs, it was only going to be for one man.

Maybe I've over thinking this and he's simply just a little off form, but there's been more misplaced passes by him this season than the whole of last.

I don't think it's necessary for the Scholes, Carrick, Harg axis in all games. In fact, I only think it's necessary away from home or against teams with a combative or numerous midfield.
We had a better balance once Eagles came on and I think Scholes has been playing too well to be dropped this year. Even though he struggled on Sunday he was always looking for the ball and always looked the most likely to create a break through. His main problem was that there was very little else going on ahead of him.
Carrick needs to play 20 yards higher up the pitch when Hargreaves is there. Early on during Sunday's game there were several instances where one of Carrick or Hargreaves picked up the ball on the edge of our box and the other was stood by them.

Why?

No need for two there. Carrick should be in an advanced position because he's not needed deeper if Hargreaves is there. He has a great range of passing and good shot so he can influence things higher up the pitch - especially when we're short of bodies up there.
Closed Thread