United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Brenner

Selection number 4 is your favourite Santana track, yet ironically, it was written by Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green in 1968.

Santana's 1970 cover of Black Magic Woman was on his 1970 "Abraxas" album...

Old 16-08-2007, 08:34 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Selection number 4 is your favourite Santana track, yet ironically, it was written by Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green in 1968.

Santana's 1970 cover of Black Magic Woman was on his 1970 "Abraxas" album...
Well you learn something new everyday, I didn't know it was a cover.

What a top mellow south american track it is, I love it and Carlos is up there with the best when it comes to playing the guitar.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Brenner

I see a theme emerging here - you love your guitar don't you. Do you play at all?

Old 16-08-2007, 08:38 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
I see a theme emerging here - you love your guitar don't you. Do you play at all?
Only air guitar, but yes you're right love my guitar bands, proper bands that can play.

Incidentally the reason for picking this track was that Me and arkid used to go to my aunties house in Cheetham hill at weekends occasionally, it was the rough part near Woolworths, it was early 80's and no f***er had any money, so a lot snide dealings went on, one weekend we were there, my uncle had "borrowed" a load of paint from a factory, allsorts of colours. with nowt to do, me, arkid, and my 2 cousins got the nod off my auntie to paint my cousins bedroom, don't know how I remember this but we all had tater ash, then got to work on painting the room, my auntie and uncle were stoned at the time, she put on Black magic woman, by Santana full blast whilst we painted. We f***ing ruined that bedroom, we were all covered in paint, and at the end it looked like a Jackson Pollock masterpiece, I remember that tune as were painting in time with the beat ;-) top laugh that day.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Brenner

A man after my own heart regarding guitar bands.

Woolworth's Cheetham Hill - I know it well.

It must have been mad for you as a nipper when you look back with your mam, dad, auntie's and uncle's constantly stoned.....

Old 16-08-2007, 08:44 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
A man after my own heart regarding guitar bands.

Woolworth's Cheetham Hill - I know it well.

It must have been mad for you as a nipper when you look back with your mam, dad, auntie's and uncle's constantly stoned.....
Oh aye, my mam's still at now.

She even got my nana stoned by giving her a space cake.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:48 PM
red @rmy

Just going back to my first choice, the following has been pointed out by stoney,
How could your dad put the record player on if there was a power cut??

Power cut must of been another time.

Memory is not the best.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Brenner

Talking Nanna's on shpaish cakesh

Your 5th choice is American poet/musician Gil Scott-Heron and his 1971 track entitled Lady Day & John Coltrane

There's a line in this track, I don't know if you've clocked it, but it goes:
"Ever feel that somehow, somewhere, you lost your way....."

could be his epitaph given his recent problems....?

Old 16-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Oh aye, my mam's still at now.

She even got my nana stoned by giving her a space cake.
Sorry to interrupt but

Old 16-08-2007, 08:55 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
Your 5th choice is American poet/musician Gil Scott-Heron and his 1971 track entitled Lady Day & John Coltrane

There's a line in this track, I don't know if you've clocked it, but it goes:
"Ever feel that somehow, somewhere, you lost your way....."

could be his epitaph given his recent problems....?
Yeah very sad how his life has declined, in and out of prison with a big drug problem.

I first came across GSH about 5 years ago, I found myself bored of the bands that were around at the time, and wanted to broaden my musical tastes. Then a mate gave me a cd compilation to listen to, the one track that stood out by a distance was lady day and John Coltrane, by GSH, it was amazing and still sounds good now, I quickly bought up as much GSH stuff as I could, listening to his albums led me to allsorts of funk/soul, rare groove, and northern soul records, you still get a massive buzz when you come across a hidden gem from years ago.
Closed Thread