United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs #12 - Silv

Good evening one and all and welcome to tonight's show

My guest this evening is Silv who is very nervous about his appearance tonight - but he's amongst friends here.

You know the drill by now, but for any newcomers, sit back relax and enjoy - but save your comments until the end please.

Without further ado then, let's go to work. Here are Silvs' selections.....

Bob Dylan - Baby Let Me Follow You Down

Bad Religion - Sorrow
*This song is brilliant because its powerful and driven punk but talks about a relationship between father and son. Mine has been up and down but in the end all works fine

London Elektricity - Different Drum
*This song is just pure inspiration. Its got feel good energy, driving tempo, longevity, and is my favourite dnb song. A proper epic.

Jimi Hendrix - Red House
* Everybody needs a song to get stoned to

The Cure - Friday Im in love
*Edited, i picked it because its a great song

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Misty Blue
*One of the most emotional, powerful songs ever written. SO many mixed emotions with this one.

Rise Against - Life Less Frightening
*Everybody needs an angry song, full of drive. Id use this when going jogging

London Elektricity - Main Ingredient
I would find love on the island and THIS would be my get down track. Whether cavegirl, monkey or shellfish Id find them sexy with this.

Welcome Silv, I trust you enjoyed the hospitality in the TID Green Room?

I'm sure you won't mind me mentioning that you actually changed your original first choice to Bob Dylans' Baby Let Me Follow You Down from his eponymously titled album from 1962.

The song was originally written by American folk/blues singer-songwriter Eric Von Schmidt.

Great hookline all the way through the track....

Last edited by silv; 09-08-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:10 PM
silv

Yes it is, i see you have done your research there old bean.

I havent even begun to scratch upon Bob Dylans full back catalogue. I guess its something to do when Im old like Mr.Baroo.

My favourite aspect of the song is his blatant cheek, reminds me of myself when im sexpesting and dont give up.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Brenner

Judging by the size of Mr Zimmerman's back catalogue, you'll be an old man before you get through it...

US punk rockers Bad Religion make up your second choice with their offering from the 2002 LP "The Process of Belief".

As you say, a story about father & son which seems pertinent to you - you at peace with your old man yet then?

Last edited by Brenner; 09-08-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
silv

Yes. Finally. After 23 years he has sorted himself out. I can finally say I like the guy even if I have lost respect for the fella. You only get one Dad. Unless your from your area that is

Anyway, you gotta forgive him, for one, he has just built us all a swimming pool singlehandedly.

Anyway

Bad Religion are an awe inspiring band. The lead singer is a brain surgeon (or some kind of doctor) and puts true thought and intellect into his lyrics unlike most punk bands and the music is second to none.

If I could be bothered skating anymore this is what id pump around to for chizzle..

Old 09-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Brenner

Greg Graffin is a life sciences professor at UCLA.

It's a very uptempo track - do you subscribe to the view that they were credited for the late 80's punk revival....?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 PM
silv

Ah, see I knew something was wrong in my statement.

I couldn't honestly say whether I thought they were or not seeing as I was born in 1984 and wasnt into punk aged six.

Only started touching on it a few years ago really. They were a big influence on getting me revived into rock music though when its so easy to be drawn into the vast galaxy of electronic music around.

What really impresses me about punk music is the intensity of the drumming. Im sure punk guitar isnt the hardest to master but to constantly pump out driving beats at the pace they do is incredible.

Its hard enough doing drum and bass and at least that has some variety in it

You a big punk fan?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Brenner

I was about 6 or 7 when punk really took off in 1976/7 so was too young at the time but have appreciated the genre more and more as I've got older

You mentioned the vast galaxy of electronica - your 3rd choice is one of two entries in your top 8 from Tony Colman's drum and bass collective London Elektricity.

You've plumped for Different Drum from the tremendously titled album from 2003, "Billion Dollar Gravy" - why.....?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:48 PM
silv

Ah ha, i see youve done your homework efficiently.

Tony Colman or, as those in the know call him, Tone, w****r and c**kend is a bit of a legend. He has his own podcast where he arrogantly perches and enforces his opinions on everybody who will listen, which is a great deal of people.

But he is one of those people who although you find yourself telling him to shut up, actually miss him when hes gone.

I couldnt think of anything worse than having a coke session with the ego and having to listen to his "musings" as he calls them but at the end of the day id still buy him a drink.

For someone who looks like a geography teacher hes done very well to put himself in a cool, young genre and ingrain himself in it.

The song is f***ing epic. The drumbeat is my favourite to play ever and ill give you a little link for the viewers (all 5 of them, im not going to have anyone to ask me questions at this rate).

The vocals on the track are by the soulful sensation Robert Owens whos well known on the Electronic Music scene, they are simple yet inspiring.

I like it because it is the flagship song that shows drum and bass not just to be a load of electronic bleeps and chavs looking like c**ks, it can actually be very cultured music and like our Tony calls it, Fast Soul Music.

No other music I can think of can bring so many people together like dnb, no crowds get going like a dnb crowd without moshing or getting angry. Its pure smiles.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Brenner

Research is the key to making TID's work my friend

you checked out the myspace site?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:52 PM
silv

for tissue island discs?

I want my transcript on there..

Im going to have to hurry you a little, ive got an interview with 1extra after this one. Could be my big break
Closed Thread