United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:59 PM
carlosartorial

Where do you start? Unbelievable band. You can judge whether people are seriously into their music by whether or not they have heard of and are a fan of ‘Love’. Once again, all about the songs. The fact there’s a brilliant story featuring this charismatic bunch of 60s cool cats is secondary.

I was lucky enough to see them five times between Arthur Lee’s release from prison in 2002 up to his death in 2005. You are always wary that these older dudes going back in the road are not gonna live up to expectation and I’ve seen some really ropey performances that leave you thinking ‘why do they bother? (obviously money) Al Green, Roy Ayers, The Electric Prunes, Page and Plant etc…but Arthur Lee kicked arse. A man on a mission to get his music out there.

I could have picked one of 25 or so of his songs for this list but I picked this one because it was just so incredibly moving watching him sing it live.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
For the time that I've been given's such a little while
And the things that I must do consist of more than style
there are places that I am going

I recall watching him perform it live at the Academy and thinking ‘this is a man singing his epitaph’, sadly that turned out to be quite presicent as Arthur was diagnosed with cancer and died just a few months later.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Brenner

he's one of three former members of the band that are no longer with us - the band were blighted by heroin addiction during the early 70's...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 PM
carlosartorial

Yeah - it's like he was making up for lost time after he got out of jail.

Though some of those 70s albums are truely dire. Unlistenable almost.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Brenner

Default Moving On

to your 6th selection, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, with 1967's Manic Depression from the "Are You Experienced?" album

One of the finest guitar albums of all time?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:12 PM
carlosartorial

I’m not the biggest Hendrix fan by any means but the first album (from which this is taken) and ‘Axis’ are brilliant. No meandering, 30 minute guitar solos that later became the norm – just tune after tune after tune. This is the original three piece; Jimi, Noel and Mitch in full-on angry mode.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Brenner

And your penultimate choice is another legend - the late James Brown - and his track Funky President (People It's Bad) from 1974's "Reality" album.

Funky as f*** this track...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 PM
carlosartorial

Fantastic stuff, James Brown was the man and this is him and his band at their best. It's so tight, the playing is incredible. I love the tales/mythology of him issuing on-the-spot fines to the musicians for playing bum notes and demanding 4 million takes until the song is just right. Unbelievable rhythm section, Joe Farrell on sax – exemplary performances composed, produced, arranged, cajoled and quite possibly bullied out of the band by The Godfather of Soul. Genius.

For a long time I was more familiar with Pete Rock & CL Smooth’s ‘Anger In The Nation’ which samples and loops a section of this track, but the original is just erm…’the bomb’.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Brenner

This track is one of JB's most frequently sampled recordings.

It's been used on dozens of hip-hop tracks down the years.

Your final selection is The Bee Gees with Glass House. Why does this make the list...?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
carlosartorial

Dunno mate. Not sure why I picked this, really. Should have had a Zombies or a Big Star tune or summat but I was just really buzzing off this a few weeks ago when your researcher got in touch for my selections. Basically just nails what the La’s based their entire career on in two minutes flat. A little known 60s pop gem I discovered via a shitty 97p compilation cd from Tesco.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Brenner

was it from The Bee Gees 60's Collection compilation album?

That's the only album I could find it on tbh
Closed Thread