United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Brenner

Nice touch regarding the lyric reminding you of your missus - he really was a man of immense talent

Moving on to track 4 Carlo, you've gone for a 1991 offering Al's Vacation from scouse c***s Shack, who had sporadic critical acclaim in the late 80's to early 90's.

If memory serves me right I have their HMS Fable album within my CD collection - why did this make the cut...?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
carlosartorial

Shack are an amazing band. No bullshit, no posturing, no image – all about brilliant songs. Of all the records mentioned on here, if any of the young whippersnappers are gonna take any notice – buy or download the 1991 (released 1995) album ‘Waterpistol’ by Shack which is right up there for me. It’s been described as the album that The Stone Roses should have followed up their first one with and that’s not too far wide of the mark in my book.

This song is just a classic 3 minute retro pop wonder. Coming out in 1991 it sank without trace cos it was about as deeply unfashionable as you could get. Classic, understated, timeless songwriting and halfway through it features the sound of a needle being dragged across vinyl which makes your hair stand on end.

They are actually more active these days than they have been in years and are currently signed to Noel Gallagher’s (Shack are always cited as the musician’s band) label ‘Sour Mash’. I believe a long overdue greatest hits is coming out in a couple of months and no doubt there’ll be a few dates to promote it. Anyone curious should check them out – they always play Manchester.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Brenner

Didn't some of the original members of the band go on to form Cast?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
carlosartorial

Yes, Pete Wilkinson played briefly with Shack in the early 90s before joining Cast who were fomed when John Power split from The La's. He re-joined Shack and played on their most recent album but has now departed again. They have a bit of a revolving door thing going on with bass players...

Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Brenner

Default Breaking Off From The Music For A Bit

Tell us about your first memories of following the Reds....

Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
f_h

Thumbs up

Love - You Set The Scene

amazing mate

Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 PM
carlosartorial

My dad was (still is) a big red but he never really forced it upon me. When I started mithering to go he took me, which was from 82 onwards. Biggest memories were all the midweek European games (Dukla Prague, Videoton, Dundee United, PSV, Barcelona 3-0 etc...) and the cup runs of 83 and 85.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Brenner

Round about the same time I started going regularly that - we played some mad European teams in the early 80's

You're in K Stand nowadays like me aren't you?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
carlosartorial

Yes, we moved over there for the 1992/93 season. Prior to that we had LMTBs - Stretford Groundside, though we knew the old boy on the gate who would always let us into the Stretford seats (E stand) where they still sold ale. It was a bonus that that they didn't give a f*** how old you were so it was possible to get served aged 15/16.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Brenner

Sadly, great days/times that have gone forever...

Track 5 is by psychedelic LA rockers, Love, and their 1967 track from the "Forever Changes" LP, You Set The Scene.

For those who haven't heard their stuff, tell us about the band...
Closed Thread