United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 26-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Brenner

Default That Links In Nicely To Track Number 5

as Johnny Cash did a cover version of Bob Marley's Redemption Song

But this version is by his son Ziggy and Dublin's famous son's The Chieftains, as part of their 40th year as a band celebrations.

A tremendous fusion of reggae and gaelic music, with bongo's alongside the bodhran, the harp next to the guitar - a great version of a truly great song....

Old 26-07-2007, 09:57 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
f***in ell - so that was your early to mid 20's

Johnny Cash was a man who seemed to own every song he ever sung imo, and he certainly does that on Sunday Morning Coming Down.

His cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt", his last ever video before his death, was awesome.
yep I started at an early age about 12, we used to buy out of date bottles of sherry for 50p I started brewing my own rocket fuel a couple of years later and was a regular in the pub at 15. Like I said it got progressively worse I have seen plenty of lads our age f***ed up with the drink, its a slippy slope and when you are heading downwards it is hard to stop without crashing. I'm just glad I pulled through because a lot of the lads I got sober with went back on it and died.

Hurt is a great cover, it was like he was writing his own obituary, epitaph, memorial all in covering the song and the production of the video

Old 26-07-2007, 10:01 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
as Johnny Cash did a cover version of Bob Marley's Redemption Song

But this version is by his son Ziggy and Dublin's famous son's The Chieftains, as part of their 40th year as a band celebrations.

A tremendous fusion of reggae and gaelic music, with bongo's alongside the bodhran, the harp next to the guitar - a great version of a truly great song....
yep he did. The chieftains seem to have been around forever they really are great muscians, it was toss up between McAlpines Fusileers by the Dubliners and this one but I opted for the first as its a great tune and one of Marley's best

Old 26-07-2007, 10:02 PM
puressence

shaun this is top stuff ..did you get that picture message

Old 26-07-2007, 10:03 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
shaun this is top stuff ..did you get that picture message
no send it again

Old 26-07-2007, 10:03 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
no send it again
theresa pict on this forum

Old 26-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Brenner

ha ha that'd gone down well in some quarters on here

Taking a break from the tunes - tell the lads about your earliest United memories, which i presume would have been early 80's?

Old 26-07-2007, 10:21 PM
elephantstone

I was fortunate that my dad was a big red and that he took us at a very early age, I had 3 older brothers we used to get the match special bus that used to come down Kingsway on match day. There was always the same faces in the same seats on the bus.

My earliest memories was Tommy Docs team of 76/77, I didnt go to wembley in 77 but my dad did and after the year before when we got beat because I wore the yellow kit. After the Doc got sacked I have been virtually ever present at home only missing the odd home game each season.

I started my united apprenticeship on the Stretford Paddock, then on to the Stretford end (tunnel....no wonder I have flat feet) and then mid 80's to the united road and now for years a K-Stander.

I was doing aways from the early 80's and a few on here will remember the Selecta coaches in the late 80's.

I have some great united memories too many to try and list but one that always sticks out in my mind was the semi in 85 at Goodison.....it was f***ing carnage

Old 26-07-2007, 10:22 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I was fortunate that my dad was a big red and that he took us at a very early age, I had 3 older brothers we used to get the match special bus that used to come down Kingsway on match day. There was always the same faces in the same seats on the bus.

My earliest memories was Tommy Docs team of 76/77, I didnt go to wembley in 77 but my dad did and after the year before when we got beat because I wore the yellow kit. After the Doc got sacked I have been virtually ever present at home only missing the odd home game each season.

I started my united apprenticeship on the Stretford Paddock, then on to the Stretford end (tunnel....no wonder I have flat feet) and then mid 80's to the united road and now for years a K-Stander.

I was doing aways from the early 80's and a few on here will remember the Selecta coaches in the late 80's.

I have some great united memories too many to try and list but one that always sticks out in my mind was the semi in 85 at Goodison.....it was f***ing carnage

selecta coaches ..so much to answer for ..nft

Old 26-07-2007, 10:23 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
selecta coaches ..so much to answer for ..nft
f***ing great days
Closed Thread