United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mcgrath
God this is gay.
This from a South Western farmhand

I've seen the big-eared boys on farms...

Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I know you got over for the Youth Cup Final towards the end of last season but do you get to many games at OT?
Yeah, I try and get over as often as I can.I only got over 4 times last season, as I was in my final year of school and had important exams throughout, but it was nice to get over in April and see the young lads.

Hoping to be over a lot more in the coming season.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Brenner

Back to the music then and Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box from the legendary In Utero album from 1993.

Kurt Cobain wrote this song in 5 minutes in a bedroom cupboard according to his drug-addled talentless slag of a missus

It represents Cobain's fascination with the female body....

Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Back to the music then and Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box from the legendary In Utero album from 1993.

Kurt Cobain wrote this song in 5 minutes in a bedroom cupboard according to his drug-addled talentless slag of a missus

It represents Cobain's fascination with the female body....
Well if Love said that, then you can be sure he wrote it over 5 years in the middle of a field It is, without doubt, a beautiful song, with an equally stunning music video.Cobain was quite a confused fella, and always shared a deep interest in the more disturbing aspects of live, and it shown quite considerably in 'Heart Shaped box'

'Throw down your umbilical noose so i can climb right back'

Startling images throughout, but truly amazing at the same time.For me, it's not only the stand-out track on that album, but a reminder to the greatness that nirvana once were.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Brenner

Your penultimate choice is the epic Doors track The End from the self-titled album from 1967.

f***in' awesome track - especially in Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 film Apocalypse Now, when it frames the dark passage into the surreal...

If you need inspiration for your poetry/song-writing, visit Jim Morrisons grave in Paris' Pere Lachaise Cemetary if you haven't already....

Old 12-07-2007, 09:51 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Your penultimate choice is the epic Doors track The End from the self-titled album from 1967.

f***in' awesome track - especially in Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 film Apocalypse Now, when it frames the dark passage into the surreal...

If you need inspiration for your poetry/song-writing, visit Jim Morrisons grave in Paris' Pere Lachaise Cemetary if you haven't already....
Yeah, it's something I'd like to do actually.I love The Doors, and always will.This track is the most surreal track to end an album that I have ever heard.You cant help but feel as though you are tripping whilst listening, and the lyrics are terrific.

Looking at footage of him performing years back, I find it hard to think of another frontman who had the stage presence of Jim.A total headcase, of course, but an awesome singer, and great poet.

On another note, Deborah Curtis apparently woke the morning of Ians death to this being played on the radio, which, considering the lyrics, is quite f***ing frightening.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Brenner

Finally, you have chosen Joy Division's 1979 track New Dawn Fades from the superb Unknown Pleasures LP.

I was expecting Shadowplay for obvious reasons....

Old 12-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Paul Mcgrath

And we have big sheds that nobodies allowed in, and inside is 10 feet high chickens.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:59 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Finally, you have chosen Joy Division's 1979 track New Dawn Fades from the superb Unknown Pleasures LP.

I was expecting Shadowplay for obvious reasons....
I originally had 'Atmosphere' down, and thought about 'Shadowplay' but decided to go with New Dawn Fades, as the song pretty much sums up the mans state of mind at the time, which really was the whole story of the great Joy Division.

It's honesty is undoubted, and at times it's hard to listen to this song, as the desperation and need to leave sounds more clear than ever.The lyrics, while profoundly sad, open up a world of images that are magnificent.

Quote:
Oh, Ive walked on water, run through fire,
Cant seem to feel it anymore.
It was me, waiting for me,

Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Book Choice

Your book to accompany you to Tissue Island is Canadian fiction writer Douglas Coupland's 1998 novel Girlfriend In a Coma (named after the 1987 Smith's track btw)

The story of a group of friends growing up in 1970's Vancouver - tell us why it's the book you have to take...
Closed Thread