United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs #9 - Shadowplay

Good evening TID fans and welcome to you all.

Due to holidays, there was no Tissue Island Discs last week, but we're back with a vengance tonight with a guest worthy of replacing a two-bit f***in celebredee soap mechanic....

Ladies & gentlemen, please upstanding for Shadowplay.

You know the script by now - no jumping in until the luxury item has been revealed then you can post your comments.

Let's get on with it then - here are Shadow's selections:

The Lemonheads - My Drug Buddy
A sad lament of frustrating relationship brought together by drugs and love.Amazing piece of work.

Leonard Cohen - One of us cannot be wrong
Not the most uplifting of songs, but such a tune was of great help to me in times of grief and provided me with a sense of comfort.I, rather strangely, i guess, find sad songs more appealing and this is certainly a heart-wrenching one.

At The Drive In - Cosmonaut
Stunning piece of electrifying noise, and passion.An undoubted venture into the unknown with catastrophic results.

superb.

New Order - True Faith
Another one of my all time favourite tunes, and one that simply oozes a presence of life and other such pleasantries.Its title, is also a rather apt one, i do feel.

Aphex Twin - Ageispolis
This track has shimmers atmosphere, as well as peace.It creates a sense of euphoria in the mind and is best listened to early in the morning to really get that feeling of what the sing is all about.

Nirvana - Heart shaped box
A truly beautiful song.The wonderful Nirvana are their very best.The Lyrics, the guitars, the feeling.Just incredible.The video is immense too.

The Doors - The End
A sublime way to finish off an absolutely stunning album.Heartfelt, and incredibly trippy.

Amazing.

Joy Division - New Dawn Fades
the lyrics, the desperation, the aching for more, and the giving up.

incredible.

Evening Shadowplay,
and welcome to my humble studio, make yourself comfortable mate, as we chew the fat for the next couple of hours. (No not that comfy - take your f***in feet off the mixing desk....)

As I expected from your good self, an eclectic mix to get my teeth into

Let's kick-off with The Lemonheads track from their 1992 album release It's A Shame About Ray, My Drug Buddy (later changed to My Buddy after pressure from label Atlantic on the album's reissue)

Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 PM
shadowplay

Evening one and all, ta for having me.

I'm no Kevin Webster, but i sure can sing.

So yeah, the mighty fine Lemonheads, and the all time classic that is 'Drug Buddy'.I first heard this song about 6 years ago.My brother was big into music at that time, and brought home the record.Took me quite a while to get into them, but this song stood out above the rest.Basically it's about 2 people f***ed on drugs and not caring for a damn thing but one another.There's hurt within the beautiful melodies of the song.Lyrics such as

'I'm too much with myself, i wanna be someone else'

Just caught the mind immediately.I think we can all feel like that at some stage-fed up with ourselves, and wanting to be something different, something new, and this song pretty much sums up those sentiments.

I've been lucky enough to meet Evan Dando a few years ago when he played a solo gig here, and he really was a top bloke.Incredible really that he lived through the dark days, and came out the other side.The band have actually reformed over the last year, and I was lucky enough to see them perform 2 months ago, playing all the classics in a quite thrilling performance.

Dando himself wasnt his usual self on the night.Seemed a bit distant, a bit cut off from the whole performance, but he still performed to such an exquisite level.I later found out that he was pissed off because earlier that day he had hung up on a radio interview after they quizzed him at length about his drug days, referring to the above mentioned song, and as he sang it up on stage, the previously mentioned lyrics seemed to be as apt as ever.

Seemed like he was fed up with himself.

Still, an all time classic, and one that I'll be eternally in love with.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Brenner

is the drug and love relationship alluded to in the song something personal and pertinent to yourself?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:26 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
is the drug and love relationship alluded to in the song something personal and pertinent to yourself?
No, sir, thankfully enough I've never felt the need to go down that road Evan sings so honestly about in 'buddy', but there are certain aspects of the song that do share similarities with reality, i guess.As said, the lyrics mentioned are sentiments we all feel at some stage, and it's always nice to relate songs to your life in some way, no matter how obvious and or minute they may be.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Brenner

Your second choice is Canadian singer, song-writer, poet and novelist Leonard Cohen's "One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong", from his debut album in 1968.
I know you like your poetry and if memory serves me right, you've written some songs in the past. Was he a role model of your's?

Last edited by Brenner; 12-07-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Your second choice is Canadian singer, song-writer, poet and novelist Leonard Cohen's "One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong", from his debut album in 1968.
I know you like your poetry and if memory serves me right, you've written your some songs in the past. Was he a role model of your's?
Ah yes, a quite terrific piece of genius from my favourite songwriter.

yeah, I guess you could say Cohen has become somewhat of a role-model in recent times.You can't help but feel a connection with the mans thoughts, ideas and, alot of the time, his frustrations.Funnily enough, it was this time last year that I got into him, after reading up about him and the like.

'One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong' holds a place in my heart, as it became special to me through a rough period last summer.Without going into too much detail, I lost my grandfather after spending the first few weeks of summer taking care of him, and watching the world cup with him.He became ill and sadly left us at the end of August.Through the last few weeks, I would continuously play the this song, as the words just seemed right

'His body is gone, but back here on the lawn his spirit continues to drool'

Ian Curtis sparked my interest in lyrics, Cohen lit the inspiration within to try my hand at my own, and i shall be forever thankful to the man for that.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Brenner

Sorry to hear about your grandad - I miss my 4 grandparents big-time, they were a special generation.
I know from previous posts that you have a great gift with words and your poetry was pretty f***in impressive tbh.
Is it something you think you'll pursue?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your grandad - I miss my 4 grandparents big-time, they're a special generation.
I know from previous posts that you have a great gift with words and your poetry was pretty f***in impressive tbh.
Is it something you think you'll persue?
Yeah, it was tough going, but it was the best thing for the man in the end.

Yeah, I've been writing lyrics on and off for about 5 years or so, but only really put my mind to it in recent weeks.I've got about 20 poems done that I'm happy with, and i post them on another forum for a bit of a laugh, but that's as far as it goes for the while.It's just something to do at the moment, as the days are long and boring at times.

I'll keep it up and see how it goes, but it's not something to be taken too seriously, as I'm quite certain the enjoyment aspect could well be taken out of it if it wasn't just a bit of a laugh.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Brenner

Selection number 3 is taken from the At The Drive In Relationship of Command LP from 2000.
The superbly named front man Cedric Bixler-Zovla has tremendously big hair - fill us in on the band as I'm sure not everyone out there will have heard of this band....

Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Selection number 3 is taken from the At The Drive In Relationship of Command LP from 2000.
The superbly named front man Cedric Bixler-Zovla has tremendously big hair - fill us in on the band as I'm sure not everyone out there will have heard of this band....
funnily enough, I think they have number of fans here on this forum, from what I can remember.

But yes, a superb name, terrfic hair, and quite a sublime band to boot.

Like all the other mad-arsed nutter bands out there, these lads hail from great old Texas, and my f*** are they mad.

They had a few records out before 'Relationship Of Command' but when this one arrived, it blew the whole thing wide open.I was 12 when i first bought it, and in all honesty, I haven't put it down since.Their music is influence by many different genres, with Sonic Youth and Fugazi being two acts that no doubt influenced these lads.

'Cosmonaut' is quite simply the most energetic, catastrophic song my ears have heard in my nearly 19years on this planet.The sheer energy and passion is absolutely breath-taking, and it goes down as one of my favourite records.

Sadly, they are no more.Cedric and his other guitar-wielding, afro-chum f***ed off to form the highly impressive Mars Volta, while the other lads went off and formed Sparta.

Terrific band, incredible song.
Closed Thread