United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark o
My choices were always going to be varied, and I reckon having this track alongside Pink Floyd may have No Fun, Hark & co spitting fire..

I'm not a big fan of punk, I'm not a big fan of rock music in general but I am a very big fan of The Clash. This is easily their best song; I think it was voted so in a Mojo Special a year or so back too, but don't quote me on that.I can't really expand too much on the memories of this song as I was only 3 when it was released, I just think it's a classic song.
The band were awarded a special MOJO award for being "inspiring" back in 2004

Breaking off from the music for a moment - fill us in on your earliest memories of watching the Reds....

Old 28-06-2007, 08:23 PM
mark o

Some may know this aleady but with my dad being a non-match (thank Eric)going blue I didn't really get into going to Old Trafford until I was in my teens.

My first match I remember well, 1999 (aged 13) vs QPR in the FA Cup 3rd Round 2nd Replay. 2 from McClair 1 from Robson and a nice 3-0 win. O was sat in those old metal seats at the back of the Stretford End.

My second game was the 4th round game the following Saturday when we got down to Old Trafford much earlier and managed to secure our place on the Stretford End itself.

That's where it started.

Old 28-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Brenner

You mean 1989 (January)

You were lucky enough to watch the great Ralph Milne don the red shirt then....

Are you a match-going red now?

Old 28-06-2007, 08:37 PM
mark o

Yes, 89, Oh Raplie Raplie...

I am still a match going red, but as I have for a number of years just home games really now. K Stand regular, although for how much longer I do not know.

I only did two games away from OT last season (Roma & Wembley).

Old 28-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark o
Yes, 89, Oh Raplie Raplie...

I am still a match going red, but as I have for a number of years just home games really now. K Stand regular, although for how much longer I do not know.

I only did two games away from OT last season (Roma & Wembley).
you're sat near me then (E239) and it's gonna be my last season as a season ticket holder this year, but that's for another thread.....

Track 5 is Jamiroquai's Love Foolosophy from A Funk Odyssey album from 2001. This track has a great hook all the way through it....

Old 28-06-2007, 08:51 PM
mark o

Default E236

This was the lesser known (for being) a Manchester band artist I talked about yesterday.

Jamiorquai sort of emerged from (just after) the acid jazz scene, other bands around at the time may have more established (Incognito) but these managed come through at last longer.

A Funk Odyssey was a slight change of direction and moved more into funk and away from Jazz.

Basically though they are just a bloody good pop band who have made bloody good pop music over a number of years.

I like them, and I am prepared to take the shit for doing so.

Old 28-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Brenner

From acid/jazz/funk, to prog-rock legends Pink Floyd and their epic 9 part composition from 1975, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is a tribute to the late Syd Barrett (allegedly)

Old 28-06-2007, 08:59 PM
mark o

Aye apparantly it's about Syd. So the story goes when they were recording this song in the studio Syd just happened to pop in and see how the band were going. Completely coincidental that they happened to be recording a song about him, years after they had last met...

Myth or truth?

When I saw Floyd (minus Waters) at Earls Court (94?) they opened with this track, superb stuff.

Old 28-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Nice One

A good one to tick off your "bands I must see" list Floyd

Your penultimate track is Cyndi Lauper's 1983 offering,Time After Time -a track covered by over 120 artists since its release....

Old 28-06-2007, 09:05 PM
mark o

Good pop record, nothing else to say about it. It's nowhere near my top 8 tracks of all time, just thought I would throw a pure pop tune in there. It's a tune which although I don't hear it everyday I don't think I would get bored of it.

120 artists, impressive, must have made her a few quid.
Closed Thread