United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs #8 - Mark O

Good evening and welcome to our weekly visit to Tissue Island and tonight's guest is Mark O.

We'll be going through his 8 most memorable tunes, favourite book and luxury item during the next couple of hours.

For those of you who are new to TID's, the floor will be open for your comments at the end of the show.

Without further ado then, let's get on with it.

Here are Mark's 8 tracks:

1. Massive Attack - Protection (Probably my favourite song of all time, haunting vocals from tracy Thorn)

2. The Beatles - Hey Bulldog (Everybody needs 1 Beatles track, and this is them at their best).

3. Faithless - Insomnia (An anthem, uplifting, a club classic that always puts me into a good mood - timeless)

4. The Clash - White Man In Hammersmith Palais
(The greatest band of the 70's with the greatest track of the 70's, white reggae / punk / ska at it's finest).

5. Jamiroquai Love Foolosophy (Funky, a good dance song, an alround pearler of a pop record).

6. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - (Cool as they come, 14mins of pure brilliance, great guitars, great vocals the best track I've ever heard live)

7. Cyndi Lauper Time After Time (A guilty pleasure)

8. The Beach Boys - Surfin USA (Well I assume this is going to be a sunny desert island innit)

Welcome Mark,
Your tracks span over four decades. Taking your first choice, Bristol electronica/trip-hop band Massive Attack, and their 1994 offering Protection from the album of the same name - tell us about it....

Old 28-06-2007, 07:27 PM
mark o

I just love Tracey Thorn's vocals on the track, haunting, Massive Attack are one of my favourite bands ever, this track just edged out Unfinished Sympathy. Normally lyrics and vocals come second to the basic music in what I like (mainly house) but if this songs comes on my MP3 player when I am on the bus I have to put by book down and listen the lyrics from start to finish.

Old 28-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark o
I just love Tracey Thorn's vocals on the track, haunting, Massive Attack are one of my favourite bands ever, this track just edged out Unfinished Sympathy. Normally lyrics and vocals come second to the basic music in what I like (mainly house) but if this songs comes on my MP3 player when I am on the bus I have to put by book down and listen the lyrics from start to finish.
It is a quality tune and the former Everything But The Girl vocalist is exceptional on it. What's your opinion on MA's most recent work?

Old 28-06-2007, 07:36 PM
mark o

Massive Attack were at their best when on their first two albums, the new stuff is still enjoyable but once you're trying to better Blue Lines & Protection then you're going to struggle.

Mezzanine was a fine album too, Angel and Intertia Creeps are superb songs. 100th Window and more so Danny The Dog OST just didn't match up to their earlier work.

I managed to catch them live 4 years ago at Creamfields and they were superb live too.

Old 28-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Brenner

I agree that their earlier albums were of greater quality.

Your second selection is The Beatles' 1969 track from the Yellow Submarine LP, Hey Bullfrog (Sorry, Hey Bulldog, they changed it from the original title after Paul McCartney barked at the end of the track), a track recorded during the filming of their Lady Madonna video.

Why this song? Surely there are many more Beatles tracks that deserve a place before this song.....

Old 28-06-2007, 07:44 PM
mark o

I think it's their song that has aged the best. Whenever I listen to that records it reminds me of early Charlatans material. When every new band on the scene in the early to mid 90's were said to 'sound like The Beatles', this is the song and the sound I think there were aiming for.

Asking somebody what is their favourite Bealtles records is like asking a father which one is his favourite son.

Old 28-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Brenner

Fair comment.

Track number 3 is Faithless and their anthemic 1995 track, Insomnia, (from the Reverence album), which was a No 1 hit in the US dance/club charts.

This reminds me of many a good club night in the past - same for you?

Old 28-06-2007, 07:54 PM
mark o

Indeed, I am a big fan of Faithless and it is mainly becuase of that record. It was one of those great dance records that you would hear in the superclubs of Ibiza and also in 5th Avenue. It reached a strange cross over market of dance and indie, which is suprising for what is basically a commercial trance records.

It always needs to played in it's 9 min entirety too, none of this shite 4 min radio edit.

I returned to Ibiza 3 years ago and this song is still being played at Es Paradis.

Old 28-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Brenner

I was in Ibiza last month and I heard it a handful of times during the week I was there, it's a timeless anthem.

Moving on to your fourth track Mark, you've gone for White Man In Hammersmith Palais, by The Clash, from 1978 - A song about a disappointing gig Joe Strummer attended at the venue one night.

Mick Jones was in the studio just before we went on air, I'll introduce you to him when we've finished off....

Old 28-06-2007, 08:09 PM
mark o

My choices were always going to be varied, and I reckon having this track alongside Pink Floyd may have No Fun, Hark & co spitting fire..

I'm not a big fan of punk, I'm not a big fan of rock music in general but I am a very big fan of The Clash. This is easily their best song; I think it was voted so in a Mojo Special a year or so back too, but don't quote me on that.

I can't really expand too much on the memories of this song as I was only 3 when it was released, I just think it's a classic song.
Closed Thread