United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:34 PM
no fun

no i didnt, shanes lack of dental hygiene put me off my stroke

no, this song has a few memories - i grew up with a lot of irish families nearby, and knocked around with a load of second generation paddies - this song makes me think of the lovely families they came from, who looked after me and my dad when my mum died when i was 17

secondly, for anyone who knows this song, its a story of irish emigration to the USA - had a holiday there a few years back, staying with the peg sellers aunty, and she took us to an irish bar in miami where this old boy sang a haunting version of this song - not a dry eye in the house

Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Brenner

It's a very poignant song about the mass exodus to the States after the famine - I can relate to what your saying, as my old man is from Galway

Moving on to your final two selections...

The bitter tirade against Thatcher's Britain first - The Waterboy's 1985 track from the "This Is The Sea" album, Old England

and finally,

the excellent Kinks track Days, which is 39 years old at the end of the month.....

Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 PM
no fun

the waterboys first............ive bored people to death with my hatred of thatcher, suffice to say this song perfectly sums up the c*** and her policies, nuff said

i left days by the kinks to the last as its a very very personal song to me

my dad died in 1995, couple of days after his death i was at his house sorting through some papers when days came on the radio............f*** me, it was weird, the words just spelled out all the things i wanted to say.......

"thank you for the days. those sacred days
those endless days you gave me"

" I bless the light that shines on you
believe me
and though you`re gone
you`re with me every single day
believe me"

couldnt hear it for years after without filling up - now when I hear it, I just smile to myself, memories of what a f***ing great man he was

Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Book Choice

Nice way to end your selections mate - happy memories of the old fella

Turning to your book of choice now, the 1971 novel by Luke Rhinehart (AKA: George c**kcroft) - which is about the idea of being able to explode out of a typical existence by letting chance & risk into your life.....

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
no fun

read it when i was 19/20, probably at a very impressionable age.....seriously considered living my life "by the dice" for a week, but i`m a shitbag so didnt risk it.......however, a bird i know got really into it, used to write down six options always including an outrageous one.....ended up with her walking into the little b pub in Sale stark naked one night because the dice had ordered it, also led to her taking lsd

Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Luxury Item

Bet she was great to be around at the time

And Finally, your luxury item No Fun - a picture of Harknowhear's grave....

Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
no fun

some may think this is a little harsh, but if i was stuck on a desert island that c*** would be round our house shagging the wife and hitting the kids, or ,if the mood took him, hitting the wife and shagging the kids, so its best if i can relax knowing the c*** is out of harms way

Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
some may think this is a little harsh, but if i was stuck on a desert island that c*** would be round our house shagging the wife and hitting the kids, or ,if the mood took him, hitting the wife and shagging the kids, so its best if i can relax knowing the c*** is out of harms way

Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun

No Fun, all it remains for me to say is you've been excellent company this evening - thanks for your honesty and the insight into your life.

Enjoy your time on Tissue Island

Thanks for tuning in everyone - and a special mention to the resident TID Graphic Designer BEN_MUFC

My guest next week will be CLASS OF 68

Until the next time.....

Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 PM
The Real Roxanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Bet she was great to be around at the time

And Finally, your luxury item No Fun - a picture of Harknowhear's grave....

I'd sack the c*** who made that. Missed out the last full stop.
Closed Thread