United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs #5 - No Fun

Greetings TID fans and welcome to your favourite FT feature which returns after a two week absence.

Without further ado, let's introduce tonight's guest - No Fun

Remember, don't jump in until the end, (Hark )

Here's the 8 tunes my guest would like to take with him whilst he is marooned on Tissue Island....

i want you - elvis costello & the attractions
marquee moon - television
porch light - the robert cray band
with god on our side - bob dylan
in every dream home a heartache - roxy music
thousands are sailing - the pogues
old england - the waterboys
days - the kinks

Good evening Mr No Fun, and welcome to Tissue Island Discs.

Let's kick off with your first choice, Elvis Costello's I Want You from the 1986 album "Blood & Chocolate". A less than successful single which peaked at No:79 in the UK charts - tell me why it make your list.....?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 PM
no fun

evening brenner, hope the late shift at the massage parlour wasnt too tiring

before we start, can i point out that the songs i have chosen arent neccassarily my favourites, but they evoke many memories

" i want you"..............my beloved declan at his most hateful and bitter, the second best "i hate you" song ever, behind idiot wind

it reminds me of what my best mate (no really) went through when his c*** of an ex ruined his life

Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Brenner

how did she ruin your mate's life......?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:20 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
how did she ruin your mate's life......?

nicest lad you could meet, 2 kids, very loyal to her, never shagged around, then she finds this other bloke, fair enough, but then engineered a situation whereby my mate gets f**ked over for possession of a small amount of charlie - she then got a brief to have him removed from the marital home as "a risk to the children"

he ended up crashing with me for 3 months

hes fine now though - married a younger bird with prominent busters

the costello song contains lines that just f**king sum the ex b***h from hell up

Last edited by no fun; 07-06-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Brenner

sorry to hear that - good to know you were there for him letting him crash at your's - you know the rules about the younger bird he married....

Your 2nd selection is punk band Television, who were formed in New York, by Richard Hell & Tom Verlaine, and their 1977 track Marquee Moon.

Initiate those who aren't familiar with their work....

Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 PM
no fun

anyone who hasnt head the marquee moon album should download/buy/steal it tomorrow

my choice of this song is really about a period that i was really lucky to be "right place, right time"

when punk swept all before it in 76/77 i was 16, and it was exciting times........however, apart from the clash, who were f**king amazing, i always preferred the american bands

in an era of 2 minute, 3 chord singles, marquee moon stood out as a f**king 10 minute guitar masterpiece

went to see television at the academy last year, and after they had played marquee moon a mate turned to me and said "i can die happy now"

i guess marquee moon reminds me of a period of my life when f**k all mattered apart from music, united and birds

Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Brenner

Your next choice is quite a departure from the punk era you grew up in - the blues influenced Robert Cray Band's, Porch Light, the opening track from the "False Accusations" LP

Tell us what memories this track evokes....

Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 PM
no fun

an obscure track, but when i first heard it i grinned from ear to ear

its the story of a woman who leaves the porch light on once her husband has gone out, allowing the neighbour to pop over and scuttle her

well, when i was about 15 there was a bird on our street who lived with her gran

we had an arrangement that once her gran had f**ked off to bingo or the labour club, she would give the signal that the coast was clear by leaving the hall light on, and i would get over there for a feel of her tits, which were tremendous. She wouldnt allow me to venture south, although i did shag her at a school reunion in 1993

so when i heard the robert cray song i thought he must have been observing me as a 15 year old scally, but probably not as to the best of my knowledge i dont think robert cray was from wythenshawe

Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Brenner

That's f**kin class mate - no wonder it's on your list

So seeing as though you were 16 or 17 during the punk explosion, tell us about your memories of watching United during those days.....

Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM
no fun

76/77...........went pretty regular then, the two defining games in that era for me were the two semis at hillsborough v derby and leeds

went in a transit van to both, for those too young to remember that era we just took towns over by sheer numbers, took what you wanted from shops and generally took the piss

those two semis were a right f**king laugh, remember gordon hills goals like they were yesterday, also recall seeing mr t oneill outside the ground, just a lad at 17 back then, launching himself into leeds fans twice his age.....happy days

another great thing about that era was that we would buy the nme on thursday and see what bands were playing in towns where united were playing away, and make a full weekend of it.....................oh for the heady carefree days of youth
Closed Thread