United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Other Sports & Fitness
Reply
 
Old 07-03-2018, 04:55 PM
elhombre
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours


Yeah, I'd read that too, the cynic in me wonders though, how what is a traditional a northern working class sport will respond to an Essex boy.

I've always felt that bringing it back to free to air TV would see the audience grow myself!
Sky's money and influence to be fair has kept it alive.

without it, it'd be gone.
 
Old 12-03-2018, 05:13 PM
thatsfuctit
 
Default

A really good watch, whatever your rugby persuasion

The Welsh Codebreakers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...uggid=b09w01q4
 
Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 PM
sub three hours
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
A really good watch, whatever your rugby persuasion

The Welsh Codebreakers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...uggid=b09w01q4


Excellent stuff.

yhgr
 
Old 13-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Vedder
 
Default

Brilliant doc and a complete eye opener for me. I had no idea there were so many great welsh rugby league players. I only know of Jiffy and Iestyn Harris.
 
Old 13-03-2018, 04:25 PM
sub three hours
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Brilliant doc and a complete eye opener for me. I had no idea there were so many great welsh rugby league players. I only know of Jiffy and Iestyn Harris.


It’s outstanding isn't it? I really, really enjoyed it. It explained so much.

It was mad in the 80s you’d got players like Moriarty, Devereux, Gibbs, Quinnell and Davies being absolutely worshiped and adulated like superstars up here by my generation of Rugby League fans yet back home they were banned from even entering the local rugby union club houses in their hometowns by the WRU.

The saddest bit is the stuff about the black lads from Tiger Bay like Billy Boston and Clive Sullivan who my Dads generation absolutely adored. There was definitely an undertone of racism from the WRU that made these players go north and I’m quite proud of the fact that the Rugby League made Clive Sullivan the first black person to captain a British professional sports side. And, Billy Boston is an absolute legend of Rugby League, in Wigan they have statues to him which is weird when you think that hardly anybody in Cardiff will have even heard of him.
 
Old 13-03-2018, 04:45 PM
thatsfuctit
 
Default

The photo that featured early on the in the documentary used to hang on my old club house wall at Otley for years, before it went to Twickenham, what they didn't mention is that a few players were subsequently painted out of it after they accepted broken time payments and went 'pro'




http://www.englandrugby.com/news/the...nting-1288163/

As recently as 1993 Steve Pilgrim got banned from Union for a year for having a trail with Leeds, it's crackers when you think about it, I predominantly played Union, but when i was working for the civil service when i first left school I played amateur RL for the civil service and the GB Civil Service team which was largely made up of lads who were 'professional' RL players before most teams had gone full time or were playing in the national leagues, I was invited for trials at Batley, but I was conscious at that time there was no way back if I went and turned 'pro' so I never went, it was a ridiculous scenario.
 
Old 13-03-2018, 05:18 PM
sub three hours
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
The photo that featured early on the in the documentary used to hang on my old club house wall at Otley for years, before it went to Twickenham, what they didn't mention is that a few players were subsequently painted out of it after they accepted broken time payments and went 'pro'




http://www.englandrugby.com/news/the...nting-1288163/

As recently as 1993 Steve Pilgrim got banned from Union for a year for having a trail with Leeds, it's crackers when you think about it, I predominantly played Union, but when i was working for the civil service when i first left school I played amateur RL for the civil service and the GB Civil Service team which was largely made up of lads who were 'professional' RL players before most teams had gone full time or were playing in the national leagues, I was invited for trials at Batley, but I was conscious at that time there was no way back if I went and turned 'pro' so I never went, it was a ridiculous scenario.
I played Union as a schoolboy in the late 70s, had a trial for and subsequently went on to play for Oldham St Annes who were a British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) team. I was immediately banned from playing Union. I must be honest this fostered a deep resentment and bitterness in me towards Twickenham and the RFU that i still carry to this day.
 
Old 13-03-2018, 05:22 PM
thatsfuctit
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
I played Union as a schoolboy in the late 70s, had a trial for and subsequently went on to play for Oldham St Annes who were a British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) team. I was immediately banned from playing Union. I must be honest this fostered a deep resentment and bitterness in me towards Twickenham and the RFU that i still carry to this day.
I’m not surprised,!
 
Old 13-03-2018, 06:03 PM
sub three hours
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
I’m not surprised,!
Giving your own background you obviously understand why Rugby Union often brings to the fore feelings of bitterness and outright hostility from Rugby League people.

If you're interested in this sort of stuff the history of both games in France is fascinating too. In France, rugby union decided to throw in its lot with the Nazi-backed Vichy regime. This meant that rugby league was banned. The Vichy government, in partnership with the Nazis, saw league as a ‘corrupter of French youth’, and associated it with the Socialist pre-war French government.
 
Old 13-03-2018, 06:16 PM
thatsfuctit
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Giving your own background you obviously understand why Rugby Union often brings to the fore feelings of bitterness and outright hostility from Rugby League people.

If you're interested in this sort of stuff the history of both games in France is fascinating too. In France, rugby union decided to throw in its lot with the Nazi-backed Vichy regime. This meant that rugby league was banned. The Vichy government, in partnership with the Nazis, saw league as a ‘corrupter of French youth’, and associated it with the Socialist pre-war French government.
Yeah I’ve read a bit about it, had the pleasure of playing both codes over there too, brutal every time.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Rugby League - Big daft lads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng v Convicts Rugby League Spock Other Sports & Fitness 12 02-11-2014 04:01 PM
Rugby League thatsfuctit Other Sports & Fitness 112 06-07-2011 05:21 PM
The Rugby League playoffs. antonin jablonsky Other Sports & Fitness 40 26-09-2010 07:03 PM
Rugby League George Bestial Other Sports & Fitness 22 07-02-2008 06:39 PM
Rugby League Fans thatsfuctit Football 3 08-05-2007 08:57 AM
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.