United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics
Reply
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:49 AM
doudou
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
what's wrong with "black" then?

forms in this country ask people to identify as white, so i can't see the difference.
You'd have to ask a black person. I just try not to offend anyone...
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Billy Redface
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...eople-of-color

""Person of color" is a useful term, because defining someone by a negative nonwhite or other than white seems silly."
Nice one.

Interesting.

I had no idea the phrase dated back so far. Appears that 'coloured' would serve the same purpose, but once a word had an insulting or negative connotation, that's pretty much it for that word.
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Sparky***
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...eople-of-color

""Person of color" is a useful term, because defining someone by a negative nonwhite or other than white seems silly."
It's a useful term for people with an agenda to separate humanity into 'white people' and 'everyone else'. By labelling yourself a 'person of colour' you instantly grant yourself victim status and therefore your argument/point of view is elevated and given extra consideration.

That's the kind of juvenile, simplistic, mindset you're dealing with now.

May as well have just said 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Jack Duckworth
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
You'd have to ask a black person. I just try not to offend anyone...
same here, i just fail to see the problem describing somebody as "black". every black person i've ever known calls themselves that, fwiw.
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Billy Redface
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
same here, i just fail to see the problem describing somebody as "black". every black person i've ever known calls themselves that, fwiw.
Probably because black doesn't cover other ethnicities.

I have never known a black person have an issue being called black.
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:55 AM
doudou
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's a useful term for people with an agenda to separate humanity into 'white people' and 'everyone else'. By labelling yourself a 'person of colour' you instantly grant yourself victim status and therefore your argument/point of view is elevated and given extra consideration.

That's the kind of juvenile, simplistic, mindset you're dealing with now.

May as well have just said 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
I just used the phrase "person of colour" out of a desire not to offend anybody. And I agree with the NPR article that "non-white" is a demeaning term. I'm merely a white bloke trying my best not to be (or sound) racist.
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Sparky***
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
I just used the phrase "person of colour" out of a desire not to offend anybody. And I agree with the NPR article that "non-white" is a demeaning term. I'm merely a white bloke trying my best not to be (or sound) racist.
Why is demeaning to say that someone isn't white? Unless of course you're already of the opinion that not being white is bad?

What a load of utter convoluted balls. This absolute obsession with labelling people and putting everyone in a little box so we can all be defined and judged is f***ing bonkers.
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Spock
 
Default

does person of colour actually mean black then? theoretically could equally mean someone from India, china, south america etc
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Sparky***
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
does person of colour actually mean back then? theoretically could equally mean someone from India, china, south america etc
like i said before 'whitey' and 'everyone else'.
 
Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Jack Duckworth
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
does person of colour actually mean black then? theoretically could equally mean someone from India, china, south america etc
i don't know, tbh. i just waded in trying to start a ruck with doudou, but he's far too reasonable to engage me.
Reply
Thread Tools
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Copyright 2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.