United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Old 10-02-2018, 11:35 AM
TheFatGoth

Unhappy Any goldfish experts?

Been looking after my 4 year old nephew's goldfish whilst he's on holiay, was due to take him back this weekend but just walked into the kitchen and he's floating on his side. Though he was a goner but he still appears to be breathing and occassionally breaks out into a frenzied swim. Apparently I might have fed him too much.

Anything I can do? Is he a goner ffs

Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM
RemisMoses

Itís got an inflated swim bladder on one side, take a thin needle and carefully puncture the side facing up. and it will die

Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Poop

Swim bladder. Chuck aquarium salt in the tank and make sure the water is clean. You can buy some blue squirty stuff too.

Biggest fucking nuisance I ever had was keeping the little fuckers. Flushed a few of them in the end and never bothered again.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemisMoses
Itís got an inflated swim bladder on one side, take a thin needle and carefully puncture the side facing up. and it will die
This. It often causes a problem with its equilibrium. A temporary fix would be to snip off the fin on the effected side with a pair of scissors. Dont worry, it will grow back.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:45 AM
TheFatGoth

I've put some fresh water in but it's straight from the tap? My instructions were if I were to change the water I had to leave it standing 24hours....will this make things worse?

Old 10-02-2018, 11:47 AM
MrBishi

Flush it and buy a new one

Old 10-02-2018, 11:48 AM
waynes ear's

Always international week in gothers head

Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Flush it and buy a new one
I couldn't do that to an emotional support pet

Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
This. It often causes a problem with its equilibrium. A temporary fix would be to snip off the fin on the effected side with a pair of scissors. Dont worry, it will grow back.
This man is a danger to goldfish. And not just in theory....

Old 10-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
I've put some fresh water in but it's straight from the tap? My instructions were if I were to change the water I had to leave it standing 24hours....will this make things worse?
First, don't feed him any more

Second, if possible change 30% of the water to reduce ammonia / nitrate / nitrite levels. The water you introduce should be the same temperature as the water in the tank. As an emergency measure you can mix hot and cold in a jug to get the temperature you need. Do NOT put hot or even warm water directly in the tank. If you don't have a thermometer use your fingers and guess when the jug and the tank are the same. If its a real goldfish, then they are quite robust and he may live.

For future ref, the amount of food a goldfish needs per day is the same size as their eyes. Any more and you get a build up of ammonia/nitrate/nitrite which is poisonous. Aquatic plants help on a long term basis