United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Old 04-01-2018, 12:57 PM
redhegemony

Default Electrickery

I seem to remember there are some sparks around - having an argument over the electrical supply to the loft conversion. They want to run it outside as it is easier for accessing the consumer unit. I was expecting it to come in to he kitchen and then under the kitchen floor which is boards on a timber frame (though shuttered).

I don't think they looked at the floor and assumed it was solid - when it's obviously not - the board next to the consumer unit wasn't even nailed down i had left it loose. I would have had the boards lifted.

I'm pissed off as they didn't discuss the options but just told me that it had to go outside. The only saving grace is the outside conduit is largely concealed by the soil stack.

Innie or outie?

Old 04-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Albert Tatlock

I think we need pictures to see the options properly

Old 04-01-2018, 01:27 PM
The taste of syphillis

I wouldn't go out while they're on site - sounds like they'll have the f***ing stairs up the outside too if you do

Old 04-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I seem to remember there are some sparks around - having an argument over the electrical supply to the loft conversion. They want to run it outside as it is easier for accessing the consumer unit. I was expecting it to come in to he kitchen and then under the kitchen floor which is boards on a timber frame (though shuttered).

I don't think they looked at the floor and assumed it was solid - when it's obviously not - the board next to the consumer unit wasn't even nailed down i had left it loose. I would have had the boards lifted.

I'm pissed off as they didn't discuss the options but just told me that it had to go outside. The only saving grace is the outside conduit is largely concealed by the soil stack.

Innie or outie?

Obviously I'd need more details but just sounds like cost saving - they probably realised it was a ball ache running the supply internally, and quoted on going straight up the side of the house in the hope you wouldn't notice/care.

If anything was to be externally fixed they definitely should have told you for the obvious reason it affects the aesthetics of the property and quoted on that basis. If it wasn't made clear in the quote, you've every right to ask them to go internally....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of syphillis
I wouldn't go out while they're on site - sounds like they'll have the f***ing stairs up the outside too if you do
also this

Old 04-01-2018, 01:54 PM
redhegemony

Cheers Big Mike- i think you're right it's awkward internally and more work - they assumed the CU was more accessible. There isn't a quote it's part of the overall price that the main contractor will wear if I insist - probably a day's work. They've backed down.

It does now mean chasing up a plastered wall and lifting some boards so I am a bit 'meh'.

What i really want to know is if there is an issue aside from aesthetics and that's not such an issue because of the soil stack.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Cheers Big Mike- i think you're right it's awkward internally and more work - they assumed the CU was more accessible. There isn't a quote it's part of the overall price that the main contractor will wear if I insist - probably a day's work. They've backed down.

It does now mean chasing up a plastered wall and lifting some boards so I am a bit 'meh'.

What i really want to know is if there is an issue aside from aesthetics and that's not such an issue because of the soil stack.

Providing it's either SWA (Armoured) cable, or PVC cabling that's protected (by conduit), and backed by RCD protection at the mains, should be fine. Ideally SWA as neater and much more hard-wearing to the elements.

Just make sure you get an NICEIC certificate - presume this is UK, if it's anywhere else no idea of the regs.

Really they should plaster any channelling as well but I think I've said enough....

Old 04-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Providing it's either SWA (Armoured) cable, or PVC cabling that's protected (by conduit), and backed by RCD protection at the mains, should be fine. Ideally SWA as neater and much more hard-wearing to the elements.

Just make sure you get an NICEIC certificate - presume this is UK, if it's anywhere else no idea of the regs.

Really they should plaster any channelling as well but I think I've said enough....
This is what happens when you don't give them a big juicy deposit upfront isn't it Whippers?

What sort of Christmas gift did you get them Heggers?

Old 04-01-2018, 02:48 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

An electrician making good afterwards?

You've go to be joking right

Old 04-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo

Quite right, there's trained chimps to do the patching.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Whip Hubley

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo

I didn't mean the spark making good, jesus.... I'm not a savage....

Presume the main contractor has a plasterer in tow.