United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Other Sports & Fitness

Old 02-01-2018, 05:04 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Just build up bit by bit mate.

Start with 5k on a treadmill. Slowly progress your time, build the distance, then get yourself on the road.

Give yourself 24-48 hours between runs to let your body recover.
Cheers.

I do 5ks on the treadmill fairly regularly and the occassional 10k too. I tend to focus on speed really (5k record is 23.16), but I suppose I need to start working on time and distance. Is it better to run further or for longer in preparation?

Did a 6.4k today which was a real struggle as i was doing squats and deadies yesterday, but I thought 32:12 was fairly respectable.

Do i need to lay off the weights? Legs felt like lead today.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:24 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Cheers.

I do 5ks on the treadmill fairly regularly and the occassional 10k too. I tend to focus on speed really (5k record is 23.16), but I suppose I need to start working on time and distance. Is it better to run further or for longer in preparation?

Did a 6.4k today which was a real struggle as i was doing squats and deadies yesterday, but I thought 32:12 was fairly respectable.

Do i need to lay off the weights? Legs felt like lead today.
Further and longer

Keep your pace down from the usual 5 and 10k pace and build up from there. Get to about 11 miles on the longer runs and you should be fine

Get out and run though, don't use the treadmill to train for a half. You'll likely pick up niggles etc at the start (from not having the support of a nice cushioned treadmill) but will be much better prep

Asics have a very good half and full marathon training schedule for free. You log in your current pace time and how many times a week you'll be running and it works it out for you, great tool and used it before my first half

I'd lay off the heavy compound lifts for a while tbh, I kept doing them before my first half and felt like shit most of the time. Eased off them for my second and third and it helped massively. Do some core strengthening as that will help with longer runs

Old 02-01-2018, 05:26 PM
silv

skip running and do proper workouts instead

Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 PM
AK14

Quote:
Any big plans?

Me:

Improve CV Fitness
Increase mobility exercises and frequency
Return to squats (year off after back injury)
250kg 1RM Deadlift
What you pulling at the moment Billy?

Bloke in the gym is pulling 250 for reps

I'd be happy to get back to 160 from where I am at the moment

Old 02-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Jack Duckworth

didn't do much in the last 6 months of 2017 due to an injury, then laziness. managed to put on 1.5 stone in that time

starting running and bodyweight stuff now, as well as trying to reign in the snacks and booze. also starting to do a bit of mountain biking. went along holcombe moor the other day and my legs are still aching now

hopefully by the end of march, i will have lost the extra weight and got leaner and fitter.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Thinking about climbing Mount Kinabalu in Malaysia

Not really a bucket list thing. Was on holiday there recently and had a view of the mountain from the room so thought it would be a challenge to get to the top. Do regular hiking and stuff but will need to up my fitness a fair bit.

Given my usual levels of motivation, there is a fair chance this won't happen, but if I rope in a few mates then more likely.
it's pretty easy, more a stiff walk than a climb. takes 2 days, first through the jungly bits and then stay overnight in these huts or there is guest house accommodation as well. Then you leave about 4 am from memory to get to the top for sunrise. Keep your clothes on

Old 04-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Jethro

First martial arts class back after Christmas. I am absolutely fucked as are my feet and shins

Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Any big plans?

Me:

Improve CV Fitness
Increase mobility exercises and frequency
Return to squats (year off after back injury)
250kg 1RM Deadlift
what bw billy?

If I hit 200kg 1rm @ 76kg bw this year I'll be delighted.
Squat 150kg
bench 100kg

Should all be possible if I put the work in and keeping bf under 10%, last year wasn't bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
First martial arts class back after Christmas. I am absolutely fucked as are my feet and shins
muay thai?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 PM
rubbernecker

You're all doing it wrong

Soccerxiser is the future of fitness

Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Further and longer

Keep your pace down from the usual 5 and 10k pace and build up from there. Get to about 11 miles on the longer runs and you should be fine

Get out and run though, don't use the treadmill to train for a half. You'll likely pick up niggles etc at the start (from not having the support of a nice cushioned treadmill) but will be much better prep

Asics have a very good half and full marathon training schedule for free. You log in your current pace time and how many times a week you'll be running and it works it out for you, great tool and used it before my first half

I'd lay off the heavy compound lifts for a while tbh, I kept doing them before my first half and felt like shit most of the time. Eased off them for my second and third and it helped massively. Do some core strengthening as that will help with longer runs
Echo all of this, Gothers 👆

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
What you pulling at the moment Billy?

Bloke in the gym is pulling 250 for reps

I'd be happy to get back to 160 from where I am at the moment
235kg mate, but form starts to go.

230kg with proper form.

It's an ambitious one, but it wasn't a priority in 2017, so looking to prioritise more this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
what bw billy?

If I hit 200kg 1rm @ 76kg bw this year I'll be delighted.
Squat 150kg
bench 100kg

Should all be possible if I put the work in and keeping bf under 10%, last year wasn't bad.

muay thai?
What are your current 1RMs?

I sit around 14st normally and 13st when leaning out a bit.

Looking to improve strengths and lifts without adding too much B.W.

Body Fat percentage around 15% at the moment. Strength drops massively if I get anywhere near 10%. I'm not naturally strong so struggle wjen weight comes down.

Last edited by Billy Redface; 04-01-2018 at 11:14 PM.