United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 30-12-2017, 08:45 PM
armchair

Default Iran protests and counter-protests

iconic image of the day

Old 30-12-2017, 08:57 PM
est.1878

news before showed very small protest groups with much bigger numbers for the pro government rally . fresh protests tonight?

youth unemployment is about 30% iirc and they cant even get pissed up all day to numb the pain. grim

Old 30-12-2017, 09:05 PM
armchair

the pro govt seemed staged but i'm presuming the other side is similar to how the west boosted the arab spring protests. Started out over high food prices but has turned into anti-cleric/anti-war which is surprising. Absolutely no doubt various agencies are fermenting this even if the basis of the protests are probably organic. They'll be hoping the authorities over-react and kill protesters.

Been going on 3 days apparently, I was only aware today. They aren't tiny little protests and they seem to be spreading.

Old 30-12-2017, 09:13 PM
My Name is Heath

Just heard this elsewhere from an Iranian chap.

Would be great news for Saudi if Iran went tits up.

I was hoping for a trip there soon - they're opening up to major Western companies.

Really hope it all goes OK.

Old 30-12-2017, 09:17 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Just heard this elsewhere from an Iranian chap.

Would be great news for Saudi if Iran went tits up.

I was hoping for a trip there soon - they're opening up to major Western companies.

Really hope it all goes OK.
what did he think about it?

saudi and israel are basically allies now. i'd say they're both playing quite a big role.

Old 30-12-2017, 09:25 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
what did he think about it?

saudi and israel are basically allies now. i'd say they're both playing quite a big role.
Says it is very confusing and nobody really knows what's going on. Usual 'Fog of War' type stuff at the moment. Advised to stay indoors etc.

Old 30-12-2017, 09:33 PM
armchair

Old 30-12-2017, 10:00 PM
My Name is Heath

Bugger - doesn't look good :-(

Really hope that whatever happens has as little bloodshed as possible.

As you say, Saudi and Israel would be delighted with a faltering Iran.

Old 30-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Cream

Kids want secular democracy, will end up with something even more mental?

Yay...

Old 30-12-2017, 11:21 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
news before showed very small protest groups with much bigger numbers for the pro government rally . fresh protests tonight?
I've seen reports this was all started by conservative mullah elements who think the present government is too soft - but the protests quickly acquired a life of their own.

Wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing has happened........