United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music
Reply
 
Old 22-12-2017, 01:25 PM
no fun
 
Default Rochdale/Middleton banned the sex pistols

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....r-was-14069208

Ridiculous, itís not like they could have corrupted the populace any more than they were already
 
Old 22-12-2017, 01:39 PM
rubbernecker
 
Default

There was a lot of it around them days


Prefer the naked antagonism of that period before bands became vehicles spawning marketing content for tefelone companies
 
Old 22-12-2017, 02:03 PM
sub three hours
 
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....r-was-14069208

Ridiculous, itís not like they could have corrupted the populace any more than they were already


no fun, you might be interested to know that tonight, there is a 40th anniversary of the gig that almost was.

As you say the Pistols should have performed in Dale on the 22nd Dec 1977 at part of the 'Never Mind The Ban's' Tour, but the local council banned them.

So 40 years later the Sex Pistols Experience - tribute band will finally give 'you' a chance to say that you was there.


https://www.ents24.com/rochdale-even...rience/4999898



PS - I live in Middleton, which as you say is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale which is in Greater Manchester.

Alkrington where I live is 5 miles away from Rochdale town centre, 4.5 miles away from Oldham town centre and 4 miles away from Manchester city centre. It's not that far from Bury town centre either.

Despite some Langley'ites being more Mancunian than Mancunians most of us who were born before the town was transferred from Lancashire to the county of Greater Manchester in 1974 would still see ourselves as Lancastrians as opposed to Mancunians.

We're not hung up on being in Rochdale Metropolitian Borough in Greater Manchester and we certainly don't have unreasonable feelings of anxiety about not being Mancunians either.

Truth be known, most of us see Manchester city centre as a suburb of Middleton.



.

Last edited by sub three hours; 22-12-2017 at 02:28 PM.
 
Old 22-12-2017, 05:03 PM
red in cumbria
 
Default

Thanks for that geographical summary

I believe it is a meme aimed at a certain other Fredster, though.
 
Old 22-12-2017, 05:05 PM
no fun
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours


no fun, you might be interested to know that tonight, there is a 40th anniversary of the gig that almost was.

As you say the Pistols should have performed in Dale on the 22nd Dec 1977 at part of the 'Never Mind The Ban's' Tour, but the local council banned them.

So 40 years later the Sex Pistols Experience - tribute band will finally give 'you' a chance to say that you was there.


https://www.ents24.com/rochdale-even...rience/4999898



PS - I live in Middleton, which as you say is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale which is in Greater Manchester.

Alkrington where I live is 5 miles away from Rochdale town centre, 4.5 miles away from Oldham town centre and 4 miles away from Manchester city centre. It's not that far from Bury town centre either.

Despite some Langley'ites being more Mancunian than Mancunians most of us who were born before the town was transferred from Lancashire to the county of Greater Manchester in 1974 would still see ourselves as Lancastrians as opposed to Mancunians.

We're not hung up on being in Rochdale Metropolitian Borough in Greater Manchester and we certainly don't have unreasonable feelings of anxiety about not being Mancunians either.

Truth be known, most of us see Manchester city centre as a suburb of Middleton.



.
Think hark has seen this tribute band, said they were decent
 
Old 22-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Switching Off
 
Default

Did subbers just ko nofers?
 
Old 22-12-2017, 05:12 PM
no fun
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Did subbers just ko nofers?
No feelings
 
Old 22-12-2017, 05:15 PM
irk
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Did subbers just ko nofers?
wow, he basically told him

 
Old 22-12-2017, 06:20 PM
sub three hours
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Think hark has seen this tribute band, said they were decent


I believe so no fun, but as a cantankerous, old bastard I honestly couldn't think of anything worse tonight.

It's Mad Friday in Dale tonight which is more than enough for me to comfortably, fully embrace, my boring old fart status.


Quote:
wow, he basically told him
Not really, no fun knows he can always get a few of the younger Middletonians on here to bite with his Middleton/Rochdale references.


The truth is however, that most of us are quite comfortable with our identities, although the more Manc than Manc accents that some Middletonians display does p*ss me of and would be a Sociolinguists dream.
 
Old 22-12-2017, 06:23 PM
no fun
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours


I believe so no fun, but as a cantankerous, old bastard I honestly couldn't think of anything worse tonight.

It's Mad Friday in Dale tonight which is more than enough for me to comfortably, fully embrace, my boring old fart status.




Not really, no fun knows he can always get a few of the younger Middletonians on here to bite with his Middleton/Rochdale references.


The truth is however, that most of us are quite comfortable with our identities, although the more Manc than Manc accents that some Middletonians display does p*ss me of and would be a Sociolinguists dream.

True I was hoping to increase irks already dangerously high blood pressure, but Rochdale and Middleton both get a mention in the article
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Rochdale/Middleton banned the sex pistols
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A man in rochdale throws a hot chicken at a women also in rochdale forzagarza News, Current Affairs & Politics 14 04-02-2016 08:01 PM
The Sex Pistols jaffo Music 3 23-09-2011 12:39 PM
So Middleton Is Not Part Of Rochdale Eh? waynes ear's Off Topic 15 11-03-2009 02:28 PM
confirmation middleton is in rochdale puressence Off Topic 7 14-02-2008 12:35 PM
anyone having the sex pistols at the arena puressence Off Topic 21 27-09-2007 06:29 PM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 AM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.