United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Old 21-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Default Steak Canadians

That cheese snot thread seems to have awakened some subconscious memories. Anyone remember steak Canadians?

Over processed frozen slices of meat(?), about 20 in a pack. In the frying pan for about 30 seconds and eaten on toast with brown sauce. A staple after school served up by my man who has the brass neck to still claim we ate well. Not sure fishfingers and findus pancakes qualify as home cooking.

Anyway, can't find them online, seem to be some kind of short-lived northern speciality that died with the horsemeat scandal.

Any other fans/oddballs out there? On a mission to get some in for chrimbo.

Old 21-12-2017, 08:10 AM
irk

They had a very weird fatty flavour. Properly served on stale white sliced bread with ketchup. They were proposed to a young irkles as some kind of treat when in actuality they were without nutritional merit but easy for mother to fob us off with when she couldn’t be arsed taking the lid off a fray bentos pie. I still think badly of Canadians (and mother) because of them.

Old 21-12-2017, 09:18 AM
Jethro

Haven't they been re-branded as sandwich steaks? Sure I've come across them in the corner of my eye recently.

Just a flashy name for a kebab tbh

Old 21-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Cream

I do, yes.

Peter Kaye will be kicking his sen.

Old 21-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
That cheese snot thread seems to have awakened some subconscious memories. Anyone remember steak Canadians?

Over processed frozen slices of meat(?), about 20 in a pack. In the frying pan for about 30 seconds and eaten on toast with brown sauce. A staple after school served up by my man who has the brass neck to still claim we ate well. Not sure fishfingers and findus pancakes qualify as home cooking.

Anyway, can't find them online, seem to be some kind of short-lived northern speciality that died with the horsemeat scandal.

Any other fans/oddballs out there? On a mission to get some in for chrimbo.
You had a Man to do your cooking? Was his name Benson?

Old 21-12-2017, 12:46 PM
sweetleftfoot

Minute steaks they were called in our house. My mum used to grill them and put them on white bread, make chilli sauce out of ketchup and chilli powder and make kebabs.

Could murder a plate of them now to be honest.

Old 21-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Parlabane

A Saturday lunch staple back in the day - some fried onions bit of salt and pepper bloody gorgeous

Old 21-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Lok

I had a minute steak in a restaurant the other day. Had no idea what it was to be honest so thought I'd try it.

It was basically a very fatty and thin (1cm-ish) Steak that for some reason had fried Halloumi on top.

It was nice enough.

The end.

Old 21-12-2017, 06:33 PM
red in cumbria

Still wondering about the Canada reference tbh.

Old 21-12-2017, 06:36 PM
armchair

minute steaks aren't the same thing