United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Old 24-01-2018, 08:00 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
79 semi at Maine Rd. Dodgy penalty for Liverpool surprise. Barely touched dalglish... only surprise was he didn’t throw himself on the floor. Protected species. Several fouls would’ve seen red today. Souness on McIlroy, (didn’t even get a mention) Hansen on McQueen... and that was just the first half. Remember “discussing” with dippers afterwards them complaining it wasn’t a good football match because we didn’t stand around admiring them.... they weren’t shy putting their foot in though.

f***ing glad we stuffed em at Goodison in the replay. Epic days. Jimmy Greenhoff, what a class playoh. Sexton got some stick but the football wasn’t exactly Moyes or lvg. Probably suffered after Docs flamboyant sides and personality. Some characters in that team though. Plenty of action in Rusholme after.
Went to the Maine Road one, replay was consumed on the radio.

Old 24-01-2018, 09:03 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
I'll have a look Den, i don't have a secret stash, i just nosey on that youtube.
cheers pal !

ive had a look myself but not come across it....but if you come across it, it would be great to see......id told my mum I was on a school trip in the lake district ....when United scored the equaliser, apparently, the camera zoomed in on the United fans and I was going mental at the top of a fan avalanche ....a mate saw it and pointed it out to his mum, who told my mum she'd seen me on the telly ......and I got a right bollocking

ive never seen it.

on the plus side, I found 2 fivers wrapped together on the station platform on the way home....paid for the ticket, the train fare and a pie at half time

Old 24-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
cheers pal !

ive had a look myself but not come across it....but if you come across it, it would be great to see......id told my mum I was on a school trip in the lake district ....when United scored the equaliser, apparently, the camera zoomed in on the United fans and I was going mental at the top of a fan avalanche ....a mate saw it and pointed it out to his mum, who told my mum she'd seen me on the telly ......and I got a right bollocking

ive never seen it.

on the plus side, I found 2 fivers wrapped together on the station platform on the way home....paid for the ticket, the train fare and a pie at half time
... and curry and a prozzer on the way home

Old 24-01-2018, 09:27 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
... and curry and a prozzer on the way home

didn't have my first curry till the mid 80s.......

and had a right arm like Arnold Schwarzenegger

although at that age, rumbling in your pockets for change was all you needed to set yourself off

Old 24-01-2018, 09:28 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Wasn’t orient the opening game in div 2?

Sunderland game had easily biggest gate on the day. 63500 full cap? Wouldn’t believe it was a div 2 game. Stret on full volume, big away following, they had some decent players, Billy Hughes, Tueart, Watson, Montgomery etc. cracking game.
As Riccers said mayhem in that there London for that Odidn't game

The Sunderland game, the Stretty ran across the pitch before the kick off as the Makems were singing about Munich, they all bolted for the exits, old Bill stopped any miver

Old 24-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Spock

Quote:
cheers pal !

ive never seen it.

Splendid stuff Den

Old 24-01-2018, 09:46 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Splendid stuff Den
crazy times Doctor S ........ so much violence back then, she didn't let me go to games to I spent a lot of time on school trips or roller skating at the Nevada in Bolton (I think I went once)

I was so shocked at being rumbled that I didn't think to deny it on the spot.

on another occasion, another school trip I'd gone to a game in London (arsenal I think it was) and thought id not get back till sunday afternoon.....but I got a lift back with some reds and I was back before midnight....so I had to sneak into the garage and sleep in there because I couldn't go back into the house bloody freezing it was.

Old 24-01-2018, 09:49 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Wasn’t orient the opening game in div 2?

Sunderland game had easily biggest gate on the day. 63500 full cap? Wouldn’t believe it was a div 2 game. Stret on full volume, big away following, they had some decent players, Billy Hughes, Tueart, Watson, Montgomery etc. cracking game.
Quote:
crazy times Doctor S ........ so much violence back then, she didn't let me go to games to I spent a lot of time on school trips or roller skating at the Nevada in Bolton (I think I went once)

I was so shocked at being rumbled that I didn't think to deny it on the spot.

on another occasion, another school trip I'd gone to a game in London (arsenal I think it was) and thought id not get back till sunday afternoon.....but I got a lift back with some reds and I was back before midnight....so I had to sneak into the garage and sleep in there because I couldn't go back into the house bloody freezing it was.

Old 24-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

didn't have my first curry till the mid 80s.......

and had a right arm like Arnold Schwarzenegger

although at that age, rumbling in your pockets for change was all you needed to set yourself off
a left arm like Ashley Grimes and a right like Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mull
As Riccers said mayhem in that there London for that Odidn't game

The Sunderland game, the Stretty ran across the pitch before the kick off as the Makems were singing about Munich, they all bolted for the exits, old Bill stopped any miver
Think we’d just signed Pearson before Orient game. Outside Euston atmosphere was buoyant and optimistic after we’d gone down. Remember Doc had persisted with old hands until near the end of previous season and then put Daly and a few new faces in and we started to play with just a few games to go. Too late but never looked back.

must be my fading memory, unless we got in late and missed the invasion. Was in the Stret paddock. Top day, that.

Last edited by Denis Irwell; 24-01-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Old 24-01-2018, 10:03 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
a left arm like Ashley Grimes and a right like Arnie
thank the lord the pubes weren't like Ashley Grimes's