United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Old 12-11-2017, 04:06 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Default Network Techie Question

This sounds like conspiracy theory bullshit but I think i'm being lined up as the fall guy for something at work, so I want to get some evidence in my back pocket, if you screen shot a record from a remote location does it leave a footprint on the server or is that solely on the client side? I'm not bothered if it shows I've opened the record because I open them all the time just whether the screenshot request would show, I want something cleaner than a phone photo of my screen.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
This sounds like conspiracy theory bullshit but I think i'm being lined up as the fall guy for something at work, so I want to get some evidence in my back pocket, if you screen shot a record from a remote location does it leave a footprint on the server or is that solely on the client side? I'm not bothered if it shows I've opened the record because I open them all the time just whether the screenshot request would show, I want something cleaner than a phone photo of my screen.
A time stamped phone photo these days is surely enough...

If not, canít you screen print it out ?

Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM
rubbernecker

Don't know the ins and outs but make sure you don't give them a ' Data Protection Act ' noose to hang you with

Old 12-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
What severr / OS?

Say with a degree of certainty it isnít stored on the server itself. Depends what kind of organisation the server sits in and itís security policy.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
If you're worried about something being altered/edited to drop you in the shit - there are 2 things to remember.
1 - It's very easy to find out when the file(s) and/or record(s) were altered.
2 - There should be (if your IT team are halfway decent) lots of historical backups that will show the original, unaltered files/records.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 PM
rockored2

You haven't said what system it is but generally nothing is recorded server side. At the client there are applications (DLP for example) that can record screenshots.
As rubbernecker said, be careful what data you make a record of.
You're a bit stuck if you intend to use it as evidence for your purpose as you'll have to admit to making the copy.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Harri Jaffa

Conspiracy = more than one person involved

Thats all

Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Cream

Rig up some sort of *battery supply to your car and take the computer home with you. (Obviously you'll need to keep the pertinent page open until required by the tribunal).

Actual screen>screenshot

*not required for laptop computer.

Old 13-11-2017, 12:38 AM
n48

Maybe copy and save the screengrab to a PNG format and save that file to a removable device. Then delete all traces of original screengrab. Imagine it would be an arse for Server team to reconstruct records unless it's really needed. Locating back up tapes etc.

Last edited by n48; 13-11-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Old 13-11-2017, 01:03 AM
rubbernecker

Or alternatively front the f***ers and just record it