United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex View Post
That's exactly what I've been thinking.

Why were serial killers a huge phenomenon from the 60s to 80s? And mass shooters from 90s to now?

What's the commonality and contrast?
1. America
2. Access to high power automatics, and surveillance.

During the hunt for Son of Sam they thought a .44 pistol was ridiculous for an individual to own.

I put it down to;
A) trend
B) Access to weaponry
C) convenience and laziness

In that order.
even for you that's peak ignorance.

son of sam 1976

automatic assault weapon ban 1994

most mass killings are done with hand guns btw

Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Buck

Quote:
That's exactly what I've been thinking.

Why were serial killers a huge phenomenon from the 60s to 80s? And mass shooters from 90s to now?

What's the commonality and contrast?
1. America
2. Access to high power automatics, and surveillance.

During the hunt for Son of Sam they thought a .44 pistol was ridiculous for an individual to own.

I put it down to;
A) trend
B) Access to weaponry
C) convenience and laziness

In that order.
Advances in DNA has f***ed the serial killer

Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
FBI catching them before they can establish a decent kill count?

just watching Mindhunters here, they didn't have the know-how back then.

Not to say it's easy to catch now, but some luck doing a son of sam or Bundy these days though.

There's a shortsighted argument peddled by nra through right wing american groups that assault rifles were available back then but the regulations, dependability and accessibility were far, far different.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:01 PM
armchair

Quote:
Not to say it's easy to catch now, but some luck doing a son of sam or Bundy these days though.
they were both caught

Old 05-11-2017, 11:02 PM
ScarFace

Allowed to buy guns LOL.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:06 PM
Buck

I wonder if EARONS is still alive

BTK was finally caught due to his own mistake a good decade since his last confirmed murder

Old 05-11-2017, 11:13 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I wonder if EARONS is still alive

BTK was finally caught due to his own mistake a good decade since his last confirmed murder
there's loads of serial killers were never caught/never discovered. if you keep it random it's almost impossible to get caught.

how many people go missing every year?

Old 05-11-2017, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Yet again, in this and a few other respects the US really is a third world country

Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
Yet again, in this and a few other respects the US really is a third world country
it's the best and worst of countries imo

Old 05-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
there's loads of serial killers were never caught/never discovered. if you keep it random it's almost impossible to get caught.

how many people go missing every year?
true.

kinda goes over your head that these serial killers go by everyday life in between acts of murder. i guess what i'm trying to say is serial killers can get hit by a truck on the way to work the morning after a kill and die without anyone ever knowing their truth. Maybe EARONS and Zodiac's crimes and communication suddenly stopped because something happened. Perhaps they were incarcerated for a totally different crime.