United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 05-11-2017, 01:24 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Completely unnatural pursuit. Fine if you're one of the few true extroverts, but a nightmare for most folk.

So well done for getting through the ordeal. You'll be invading Poland this time next year.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:42 PM
believe

When I was working for Speedy back on the UK, I was offered the Commmercial directors position about two week before the AGM presentation to the board. I was asked to do what would have been my first presentation and I was shitting myself. Spent the entire two weeks refining my speech and standing in front of a mirror/my missus every available hour practising.

The night before the prevention at Hinckley Hall, I sent the presentation to my boss to get a final check and he emailed back saying it was really good. Drives down to Hinckley Hall still shitting myself and when I got there, my boss told me five minutes before we went in that he had changed his mind about the role and instead wanted me to be Design Director and to do my presentation on that. Basically the board had raised some issues about my age and that I was too young to take the role on and my boss wanted to save his own face.

Cutnanlong story short, I fell to pieces and made a bigger c*** of myself than o would have done initially and to top it off my boss got up and read my presentation out word for word. I got outside and pinned him up against the wall and eventually made an official complaint that ultimately led me being forced out of the company.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Bunker Buster

Absolutely adore it tbh....especially if it's a subject I'm excited about....

Really love interviews as well (think people should do more of them)

Had a bit of specific training and quite a lot of practice...

Once you get over 20/30 people it can start to daunt on you a little but push on through, don't read from notes or have too rigid a formula..remember there's ALWAYS time for humour..

Ended up being the spokesman at my work these days for visitors..had some absolute Chods over from Texas the other month..
Bellys proud over their stonwash jeans, huge belt buckles depicting log cabins, sky scraper vistas and oil well pumps..
Had them WRAPPED around my pinky..

"Well if you are struggling for natural gas resources why don't you guys just just open another hundred pipelines...
Oooo watch out China"

Split second I thought I'd f***ed it..

Place erupted...almost a hoe down, thighs slapped all over the shop..

Old 05-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I am definitely more on the introvert side but have little problem presenting these days. A bigger crowd is oddly much easier than say four or five. As some said, know your material and don't take it too seriously. No-one is expecting stand up.

Do quite a fair amount - panel moderating, training, workshops. The biggest issue is usually the nationality. a Koreans sit silent. Indians won't shut the f*** up. Singaporeans always try to be smart arses. Chinese funnily enough are usually the best.
Meritocratic culture exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
May it please the court, and I'm sure it will...

Interesting story from Bellers, I wonder what he learned from the episode?

More utter guff from Bunks. The Texas connexion.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

Do quite a fair amount - panel moderating, training, workshops. The biggest issue is usually the nationality. a Koreans sit silent. Indians won't shut the f*** up. Singaporeans always try to be smart arses. Chinese funnily enough are usually the best.
Know your audience

I feel for the brits or yanks that try humour with central europeans.
Stone faces reflecting back at them. Every joke bombs. I end over compensating with lols to help them out.

Trick with them is; authority and dry confidence. They worship authority.

The same approach would crash and burn in humour based cultures.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex View Post
Know your audience

I feel for the brits or yanks that try humour with central europeans.
Stone faces reflecting back at them. Every joke bombs. I end over compensating with lols to help them out.

Trick with them is; authority and dry confidence. They worship authority.

The same approach would crash and burn in humour based cultures.
Might be your delivery? Irish humour is quite particular.

Would like to see Bunks have a crack at it.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:03 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Absolutely adore it tbh....especially if it's a subject I'm excited about....

Really love interviews as well (think people should do more of them)

Had a bit of specific training and quite a lot of practice...

Once you get over 20/30 people it can start to daunt on you a little but push on through, don't read from notes or have too rigid a formula..remember there's ALWAYS time for humour..

Ended up being the spokesman at my work these days for visitors..had some absolute Chods over from Texas the other month..
Bellys proud over their stonwash jeans, huge belt buckles depicting log cabins, sky scraper vistas and oil well pumps..
Had them WRAPPED around my pinky..

"Well if you are struggling for natural gas resources why don't you guys just just open another hundred pipelines...
Oooo watch out China"

Split second I thought I'd f***ed it..

Place erupted...almost a hoe down, thighs slapped all over the shop..
Agreed. It can be quite tricky during a domestic violence sentencing hearing with the victim and family sat at the back but I usually work one in. Something about going as she's told or not burning the tea usually. Really lightens the mood.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Might be your delivery? Irish humour is quite particular.

Would like to see Bunks have a crack at it.
Nah seen it with americans and brits.

The most difficult for me is the French though. They continously interrupt and their default reaction is to scoff and complain

Old 05-11-2017, 03:06 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Nah seen it with americans and brits.

The most difficult for me is the French though. They continously interrupt and their default reaction is to scoff and complain
Are you really telling cream that the French are impossible to please? Insensitive.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk View Post
Are you really telling cream that the French are impossible to please? Insensitive.
Scoffing and complaining - two word affidavit. AKA whingeing slob .