United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 AM
TravellingRed

Default Public speaking

Had to do a bit today, trying to defend UK jobs at the NW Labour conference. f***ing frightened to death I was, brought up the much missed aircraft plants in Manchester Chaderton and Woodford. This Tory government is a f***ing disgrace. So ends the message.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 AM
Crumps

Was shit at it to the point it gave me panic attacks. Ended up teaching at degree level as well as teaching staff to use new technology. Was honestly a stuttering mess that got so worked up that I cried the first year I did it. Not caring helps.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed View Post
Had to do a bit today, trying to defend UK jobs at the NW Labour conference. f***ing frightened to death I was, brought up the much missed aircraft plants in Manchester Chaderton and Woodford. This Tory government is a f***ing disgrace. So ends the message.
Well done mate , shit like this needs doing .

The more you do the easier it gets .

Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed View Post

Well done for doing it.

Public speaking is difficult if you're not trained in it from an early age and have practice every week or so.

I have to do it quite often now and I get terrible stage fright each time. The key is to start on something positive or mildly humorous. Once you see that your audience is with you, then the nerves settle and you're away. Audiences are also quite tolerant of a speaker losing his place in his notes and will give you time to find your place. I'm not a good speaker btw.

They teach it in schools more often now, when my daughter was younger it was a once a term thing, but my son seems to be doing one once a month or more. I guess the schools are more aware now that people have to do it more often and are incorporating it into the curriculum.

Anyway, kudos.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Throw

Well done Travvers.

Not exactly public speaking, but I have to present stuff to a few people every so often. I just think of No Fun and his speeding tickets.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Cream

Thumbs up

Completely unnatural pursuit. Fine if you're one of the few true extroverts, but a nightmare for most folk.

So well done for getting through the ordeal. You'll be invading Poland this time next year.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:10 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
Well done Travvers.

Not exactly public speaking, but I have to present stuff to a few people every so often. I just think of No Fun and his speeding tickets.
I sometimes do "training" in front of 20-30 people

Try and get song lyrics into my spiel....Dylan's the easiest

Old 05-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Fine if you're one of the few true extroverts, but a nightmare for most folk.
Not really.

Probably a nightmare if you're very shy though tbf

Old 05-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex View Post
Not really.

Probably a nightmare if you're very shy though tbf
Shy has wimpy connotations.

Some people are lone wolves. We don't 'share with the group'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
Well done Travvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
I sometimes do "training" in front of 20-30 people

Try and get song lyrics into my spiel....Dylan's the easiest
No to both.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Shy has wimpy connotations.

Some people are lone wolves. We don't 'share with the group'.

No to both.
If you know your subject it's easy

You could do mousetraps