United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Old 28-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Henry is probably the most visceral depiction of a serial killer. Maniac is just as good if a little goofy.

May have to watch Manhunter tonight now
You prefer it to Red Dragon?

Old 28-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
You prefer it to Red Dragon?
It's infinitely better

Old 28-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
It's infinitely better

Old 29-10-2017, 06:29 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
Jokes aside, this is one of the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmY3qhlCshY
watched this last night, didn't sleep well

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
Snowtown aka The Snowtown Murders

is a good one.
is that the Australian one where they chop a kangaroo up? Tried to watch it twice and had to turn it off each time about 20 minutes in. I think its the part where he starts to rape his brother that I can't get past

Old 29-10-2017, 07:17 AM
guerreiro

Don’t bother with Zodiac or do if you want to get some kip

Old 29-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Henry was one I couldn't get through. Felt too creeped out watching it. I like my serial killers to be a little more entertaining and accessible to the general audience.
I’ve never wanted to watch Henry. I remember an article in either Empire or Sight & Sound in about 1992 where they were revisiting it because Man Bites Dog had just come out and they were like, this is THE serial killer film. 2 different journalists reviewed the film - one gave it 5 stars and said this is an important film, blah blah and the other gave it 0 and said ‘why would you put yourself through this?’ and basically described what happens. I went for the 0 review. Anyway I just read the full, blow by blow synopsis on IMDb and I really can’t see myself sitting down to watch it.

Old 29-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
I’ve never wanted to watch Henry. I remember an article in either Empire or Sight & Sound in about 1992 where they were revisiting it because Man Bites Dog had just come out and they were like, this is THE serial killer film. 2 different journalists reviewed the film - one gave it 5 stars and said this is an important film, blah blah and the other gave it 0 and said ‘why would you put yourself through this?’ and basically described what happens. I went for the 0 review. Anyway I just read the full, blow by blow synopsis on IMDb and I really can’t see myself sitting down to watch it.
Mate of mine bought a copy from a stall in the Corn Exchange, way back when. Recall it being dull and depressing.

But I suppose that's the reality of their existance.

Old 29-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
It's a divisive one.

Silence of the lambs, Mindhunter and the like have a strange allure as they attempt to get actually scratch beneath the surface. The serial killers are often charming and even weirdly likeable. There's at least a cathartic feel to them.

There isn't any of that with Henry. He isn't nice. He isn't smart. He isn't even interesting. He's just a serial killer.

The dialogue is uninteresting. The film is very 80s: dark, low-key, grimey.

It's not a pleasant watch. But shouldn't that be the case?

Old 29-10-2017, 12:28 PM
shenwen

Summer of Sam

The serial killer is more a backdrop, but adds to all the tension

Old 29-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
It's a divisive one.

Silence of the lambs, Mindhunter and the like have a strange allure as they attempt to get actually scratch beneath the surface. The serial killers are often charming and even weirdly likeable. There's at least a cathartic feel to them.

There isn't any of that with Henry. He isn't nice. He isn't smart. He isn't even interesting. He's just a serial killer.

The dialogue is uninteresting. The film is very 80s: dark, low-key, grimey.

It's not a pleasant watch. But shouldn't that be the case?
Probably yes. There's a sickly feeling about it.

Iirc he's a bit of an opportunistic, scumbag on the surface level piece of shit (henry Lee Lucas?). Vs the hunter and normal person by day killers like Bundy and dahmer.

The film suits the type tbh.