United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Reply
 
Old 06-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Coracao
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99 View Post
Though, obviously, what he did in the first 100/150 of those games is unlikely to be what he does in the next 50. Career stats always drop off.

This year Mata has looked even slower and weaker if that’s possible. What happened against Huddersfield was quite sad to watch really. You cannot be that feeble in this league.



Depends what your standards are I suppose. I think your right back should be able to overlap and cross accurately, or cut inside once in a while. It adds a valuable facet to the team going forward. He should also be able to stay in touch with the rest of the back four and not constantly be the deepest man when play is building through the centre or on the left.
Who is he supposed to be overlapping? There is no c*** there

Valencia pretty much has to do everything on the right hand side of the pitch. His crossing lets him down, but the way people go on you'd think that some right backs in the league were chipping in with tens of assists. They aren't.
 
Old 06-11-2017, 03:12 PM
utd99
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao View Post
Who is he supposed to be overlapping? There is no c*** there

Valencia pretty much has to do everything on the right hand side of the pitch. His crossing lets him down, but the way people go on you'd think that some right backs in the league were chipping in with tens of assists. They aren't.
That’s correct, so there are two issues at play here; there’s what he does, and there’s what the team does. Which one gets emphasised usually depends on whether the poster is pro or anti Valencia, but both are equally relevant.

Over the years we’ve all seen the value of a good interaction between right back and right winger or whatever variation of wide men we’ve gone with. Right now -and for some time- we’ve had none of that. Zero.

An absolute number of assists or chances created is nice if you can get it, but less important than what that dangerous width creates in terms of space for the rest of the team and forcing the oppo defence to play you honestly across the whole back line. The way we play is too easy to defend against. Full backs know to show our right inside and our left outside, every time.
 
Old 06-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Coracao
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99 View Post
That’s correct, so there are two issues at play here; there’s what he does, and there’s what the team does. Which one gets emphasised usually depends on whether the poster is pro or anti Valencia, but both are equally relevant.

Over the years we’ve all seen the value of a good interaction between right back and right winger or whatever variation of wide men we’ve gone with. Right now -and for some time- we’ve had none of that. Zero.

An absolute number of assists or chances created is nice if you can get it, but less important than what that dangerous width creates in terms of space for the rest of the team and forcing the oppo defence to play you honestly across the whole back line. The way we play is too easy to defend against. Full backs know to show our right inside and our left outside, every time.
Just don't think he is one who needs replacing in the next two windows personally. I think he is a good enough right back to win the league with.

LB, RW, AM and decent options for CM are more pressing for me atm.
 
Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM
utd99
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao View Post
Just don't think he is one who needs replacing in the next two windows personally. I think he is a good enough right back to win the league with.

LB, RW, AM and decent options for CM are more pressing for me atm.
He’s not young anymore, and we have to get past this tired acceptance that playing converted wingers at full back is the new normal. It’s not.

The thing with Valencia is that his strengths -workrate, strength and dependability- kind of blind you to his weaknesses. It’s almost as though there’s always another priority somewhere else -usually some shitbag who’s not pulling his weight- so what should have been a stop-gap ends up lasting years. I’ve forgotten what it’s like to even have specialist full backs.
 
Old 06-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Coracao
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99 View Post
He’s not young anymore, and we have to get past this tired acceptance that playing converted wingers at full back is the new normal. It’s not.

The thing with Valencia is that his strengths -workrate, strength and dependability- kind of blind you to his weaknesses. It’s almost as though there’s always another priority somewhere else -usually some shitbag who’s not pulling his weight- so what should have been a stop-gap ends up lasting years. I’ve forgotten what it’s like to even have specialist full backs.
That's because usually there is with our squad in its current state.

The lad O'Connor is worth keeping an eye on. Be surprised if he doesn't make the step up to the first team. Still fairly young though.
 
Old 06-11-2017, 04:31 PM
red in cumbria
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7 View Post
By the way, speaking of Stoke, I notice that old Alain Cheapo-Shitc*** or whatever his name is who scored a brace against us has failed to score in any other game this season....
Nothing new, some of us are old enough to remember Dennis Bailey
 
Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM
sa7
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
Nobody should be “buzzing” about 7 goals in 7 games and losing to Huddersfield. Regardless of who does what elsewhere.
The squad should be buzzing, having been tasered, the c***s

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
Nothing new, some of us are old enough to remember Dennis Bailey
I hate everything
 
Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Zorg
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7 View Post
By the way, speaking of Stoke, I notice that old Alain Cheapo-Shitc*** or whatever his name is who scored a brace against us has failed to score in any other game this season....
Cheeky bid?
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: The writing was on the wall with this lot when they scraped a draw against Stoke
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anthony Martial upset after omission from Stoke draw fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 23-01-2017 10:40 PM
Man United must move on says Lingard after draw with Stoke fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 23-01-2017 10:00 AM
JAMIE REDKNAPP: Is the writing on the wall for RVP? You can see the confidence seeping out of him fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 10-03-2014 12:20 AM
James Lawton: Liverpool's disunited front proves writing is on the wall for Benitez fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 22-03-2010 12:10 AM
Pulis angry after Stoke draw with Manchester City fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 17-02-2010 11:20 AM
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2016 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.