United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Gaming

Old 19-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Throw

Default Games consoles

Christ I know nothing about these things but my soon to be 8 yr old wants one for his joint birthday/xmas present. His mate has a PS4, so he wants one of those. Is it that straightforward? Should I steer him towards something else?

Do I need to think about storage capacity? Looks like there's slim ones and all that jazz. Make any difference?

I need to buy him something to play it on in his room - just a normal 32" HD telly?

He'll just be playing FIFA18 I expect - any other good game for 8 yr olds?

Ta.

Old 19-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
Christ I know nothing about these things but my soon to be 8 yr old wants one for his joint birthday/xmas present. His mate has a PS4, so he wants one of those. Is it that straightforward? Should I steer him towards something else?

Do I need to think about storage capacity? Looks like there's slim ones and all that jazz. Make any difference?

I need to buy him something to play it on in his room - just a normal 32" HD telly?

Ta.
The Lego games based on films are great for kids that age. There's loads of them.

32" telly is fine. PS4 console isn't big at all, the 500gb version would suit him fine at that age.

Old 19-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm View Post
The Lego games based on films are great for kids that age. There's loads of them.
Nice one - loves Lego of course.

Old 19-10-2017, 12:33 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:

Ta.
Get him what his mates have if he wants to play against them.
To play online you have to pay a subscription to playstation plus, this is the only way he'll be able to play against his mate.
If you're getting a standard ps4 the tv will be fine, if you get the pro you need a 4k tv
Storage isn't an issue you can add an external hd.

Lok

My 8 year old son has an a Nintendo Switch, Xbox360 and access to my Xbox One.

He spends almost all of his time on the Switch. The only reason he goes near the xbox is to play on Minecraft. If I got it him for the Switch I doubt he'd ever play them again.

Big Norm

Quote:
Nice one - loves Lego of course.
They're really good.

You can start with the ones based on his favourite films, Avengers, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings (this one's slightly more challenging imo.), Batman etc.

You can pick most of them up pre-owned for around 20 or less.

Old 19-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Not sure he'll need a lot of storage depends on how many games you'll be getting him....obviously don't need the 4K one if your just getting him a snazzy new monitor..

If he wants to play online Fifa you'll need to buy the years subscription to playstation plus, they also have loads of free games on sometimes you'll unearth a gem.

Maybe get him a headset too so he can speak to his mate...

PS4 reds.

Old 19-10-2017, 12:38 PM
forwardirektion

If you get him destiny, he can come on with ears, sparky and me.

He'll learn some cool new words

Old 19-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Get him what his mates have if he wants to play against them.
To play online you have to pay a subscription to playstation plus, this is the only way he'll be able to play against his mate.
If you're getting a standard ps4 the tv will be fine, if you get the pro you need a 4k tv
Storage isn't an issue you can add an external hd.
TA - makes sense - what's the difference between the standard and the pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Not sure he'll need a lot of storage depends on how many games you'll be getting him....obviously don't need the 4K one if your just getting him a snazzy new monitor..

If he wants to play online Fifa you'll need to buy the years subscription to playstation plus, they also have loads of free games on sometimes you'll unearth a gem.

Maybe get him a headset too so he can speak to his mate...

PS4 reds.

How much are gamertrons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
If you get him destiny, he can come on with ears, sparky and me.

He'll learn some cool new words
He'd be up for that.

Old 19-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Drexl

Quote:
He'd be up for that.
He'd probably leather them